1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Ram Tough
By smh1992 on 12/16/13 11:10 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought a 1999 Sport model with the 5.9L with 135,000 miles. Never had a truck before, but I love this vehicle. I'm a bigger guy and I have more than enough room. This truck is the definition of toughness. I like to take it off-roading and it handles itself very well. Best looking truck on the road too, in my opinion. That 5.9L V8 is a beast too. Love when I step on the gas and hear that engine roar. The 4X4 works extremely well too. Where I live, we get pretty deep snow and I've never once gotten stuck in 4WD. Overall a great truck and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a stylish, powerful, roomy pickup. Will look to buy another one when this one dies on me.

Huge Mistake On This Purchase
By addiesue on 12/09/12 06:05 AM (PST)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 1999 and have had nothing but problems from day one. I had 4,200 miles on it and the serpintine belt failed. I have replaced the intake gasket,all the u-joints,front wheel bearing,brake lines,idler pully,another serpintine belt,the fuel pump is going out,cat conv,front speakers,has a broken latch on inside quad doors,headlights get water in them,,trans slips,replaced speed sensor,replace trans pan rust caused a hole,clear coat on roof is gone. i have 83,000 miles on this truck and I would never buy a Dodge truck again.Note to owners on the auto-trans, put in (nuteral) and run for 2 min before driving the torque conveter drains fluid while sitting and ruins trans.

Stay Away From This Truck
By scott241 on 03/24/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this 5.2L truck used with 14,000 miles for $14,000. I loved it until it had about 70,000 miles on it. Now it has 111,00 miles on it and the following has had to be replaced: plenum/intake gasket, clutch, tie rods, ball joints, catalytic converter, heater core, main computer, brakes and rotors (three times), steering damper, and shocks. It now needs the front and rear transmission seals, and new front wheel bearings. It is parked until I can sell it. I have always maintained this truck and never really hauled anything with it. I expect a bit more life than this for the money I pay. Shy away from this one.

1999 Dodge 4x4 rating
By kingcarz on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in 2002 w/40,000 miles on it, and the transmission was slipping the day after I got it, replaced brake lines, coil, crank sensor, battery, transmission, intake gaskets, water pump, rear u-joint, front axle u joints 3 times now, replaced front seals 2 times and they still leak, truck will not run more that 10 minutes when it snows, and once a week or so, the truck will not start, cranks though, repaired door locks/latches, replaced caliper, brakes 3 times front and 1 on rear brakes, delayed wipers stop on middle of windshield, Dash board cracked, light on key switch would not turn off-had to pull bulb, upper compartment on ceiling broke easily, muffler been rusted out 5 y

Dependable machine
By g dolski on 06/27/10 17:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dash has never cracked! (must be that armor all hahaha) I bought this truck because of the way it looked back in 2001, big and mean. Very reliable truck, she has always gotten me back home, not afraid to go driving long distance. regular maintenance goes a long, long way. The only major repair I had to do was the torque converter (replaced with aftermarket high stall) and added a transmission cooler because the transmission started acting up at around 120k and haven't had any problems since. Strong 5.9 magnum will spin 35's no problem and still have lots of horses left to pull that moose out. Next truck will definitely be another Dodge whenever this one goes, not for a long time.

Good Used Ram
By mrmapes on 11/24/09 13:31 PM (PST)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used with 95,000 miles. No problems, so I deceide to invest a little $$$ for the next 100,000 miles. Tune up $100: plugs, wires, rotor & cap. Exhaust: $700 new cat converter, O2 sensors and exhaust. High flow air intake, $120. Bed liner: $100. Fluid Exchanges $200: oil, coolant, Trans/filter. Molded floor mats: $80. This truck hasn't given me a lick of trouble and now gets 15mpg city & 18.5mpg hwy with the 360. Will take on first tow trip trip to NM in 2 weeks. Not worried. Lots of room, comfortable ride, quiet for a truck & hauls everything I need.

My experience
By icecube on 09/21/09 03:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I bought my truck new and used it in my construction business. I never (!) had a problem in 76,000 miles of Alaskan driving. No squeaks, leaks, mechanical problems, or anything else. But I sadly sold it when I retired and moved overseas....cheap living now. I have owned 5 Dodge trucks and have been more than satisfied. But the gas mileage stinks.

Great truck
By Partycrasher on 09/09/09 01:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

Bought from my next door neighbor with 100k on it, has 105k on it now. He kept great maint records and always followed oil changes, tuneups and fluid changes, as I have since I bought it. No problems except and transmission valve went out, $15 part and 10 minutes to replace! Would drive it anywhere.

Can't keep the RF wheel on
By Rod on 09/02/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Right front hub failure twice. Dodge won't own the problem. Very dangerous to drive. A/C leaks. Electrical system stinks. Will NEVER purchase another Chrysler product.

1999 Dodge Ram Sport
By CW on 07/03/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 110,000 miles, and whoever owned it before me neglected it like no other. After about $1500 in parts and labor, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm 24 and have had 17 trucks since I've been 17. Yeah, the gas mileage stinks, but what do expect when a truck is modeled after a big rig? These trucks weren't made to be espically comfortable either, they were built to get the job done. I cant remember any other half ton truck that came with a solid front axle in 99.