Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Great Truck!!
By Vince

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The 1998 Dodge Ram is an exceptional truck. There is more than enough power and is a VERY comfortable ride except that the back seat could be a little better. So far the only problem that I have had with it is the U joint going bad on the right side.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of the truck is the great power. and easy to operate audio system.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the back seat

5.2l ram 4x4
By josh roorda

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a very good truck, very reliable. I haul building supplies etc. with it very often. I have a slide in camper. The truck seems to handle weight OK after air bags were installed. I find the steering to be poor and non responsive. Engine runs well and has adequate power, but fuel economy is much worse than expected.

Favorite Features

The quad cab design is great

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy must be impoved, and steering could be impoved

Good All Around Truck
By Mopar Fan

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for almost 2 years. It has 90k miles and giving it a tune up and changing fluids is the only thing I've ever had to do. It is very dependable and tows my 18ft fishing boat with ease. Very impressed with limited-slip rear end and engine torque. I can pull boat up very slippery ramps with little or no wheel spin and it's a 2W drive.

Favorite Features

Overall craftsmanship. Seats and instruments inside have all held up great. Truck is very solid.

Suggested Improvements

Definitely gas mileage. I can get around 15 around town being careful with the throttle, but that's part of having a truck that can also pull. (I have friends with small trucks with V6s and their mpg is about the same as mine.

98 Quad-Cab 4x4
By mfloyd

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in Feb of 1998.I didnt order it because I needed a good reliable truck right then. My 85 Ford 4x4 was breaking down faster then I could keep up with it. So I bought my Dodge off the lot. The truck has preformed great. Very comfortable interior, great looking exterior. These trucks are like the vehicles of years gone by when you could tell the make and model from a 1/2 mile away. Now most vehicles all look the same. You have to walk up close to see the name badge to see what it is, but not the Dodge Ram. You can tell it's a Ram from a mile away

Favorite Features

The instrument cluster is easy to see. All switches are within arm's reach. Very comfortable seats. Lots of room front and back. Very stylish front clip. I also like the solid front axle. The new 1500's have an independent front axle.

Suggested Improvements

The springs on the 1500 see a bit weak for a truck and the front disc brakes are too small. Other then that I can't think of anything else and I used to be a mechanic, so I'm very picky.

A real work truck!
By liv24wheel

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ram with a 5.9L V8. I bought it stock and now it has 6" (3" Rancho, 3" body) of lift, 35" BFGoodrich All-Terrains. I use my truck hard and it has proven to hold up to my abuse. The only things I have had to fix are normal maintenance issues. I tow a 5500lb K5 Blazer on an 18' trailer with my truck now, and I can pass F-150s with the Triton 5.4L while towing. This is a great truck and will do what you need!

Favorite Features

The motor is very torquey and the drivetrain is tough except for the automatic transmission (46RE). Be careful with the overdrive on the tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Build the tranny if you are going to tow heavy loads or use the truck off road heavily. Other than that have fun with the truck!