1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Built RAM Tough
By NoVaDawg on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

With nearly 58,000 miles on my truck I've had only one major issue to date. The dealership had the truck back to me within 48 hours and since all has been perfect. I wish there was a little more variety available in fabric options. Otherwise no complaints at all. This truck takes me everywhere without questions. The sound system is above average. The fun factor is WAY ABOVE average. If you're looking for fuel economy WHY are you looking at a full size truck?

Ram Tough
By pw on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle is drivn mostly highway miles and very,very little off road. I have had to replace the air conditioning system, transmission, several fuel injectors just to mention a few items. VERY costly to keep on the road. Don't recomend this truck to anyone who needs reliability in their transportation!!

Dodge Transmissions are weak
By cdfrx1 on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I owned my Dodge Ram for 2 years. I loved the design and comfort. After 2 years and about 40 days in the shop for the same problem over and over again (transmission) I finally gave up. The Dodge service people should be renamed Lip Service people. Dodge service is by far the worst service department of any of the big three auto makers.

Couldn't Be Happier
By PFL115 on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased my 1998 1500 Quad Cab Sport (5.9) as a dealer leftover for $24000 in December of 1998. Price was so cheap I purchased the dealer extended 7year/75,000 mile warranty for an additional $1200. I havent needed it. With 60,000 miles and regular dealer maintainence it has not had ONE mechanical problem. The original tires even lasted 50,000 miles! The truck is a joy to own and drive, very comfortable ride (smooth on the highway) and plenty of power. With the tow package, it cruises smoothly at 80 mph on the highway, barely turning 2400 rpm, and returns a solid 20 mpg at that speed!

Downhill towing only
By restless on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

All maintenance done on schedule. Towing has only been performed with overdrive OFF. NEVER exceeded or even came close to rated towing capacity. Transmission after-cooler for additional protection installed. Transmission failed at 30K, 75K, and 100K. EVERY time it has been the torque converter clutch as the initial cause. Rear differential needed work at 25K and 60K. Transfer case failure at 75K. DO NOT shift on the fly, it will ruin the transfer case eventually, even when ONLY performed below 30mph.

Hottest Truck on the Road
By LovemyDodge on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck in 1997 and I haven't had any problems with it. After 75000 miles I need to replace the brake pads. I drove this truck from Alabama to Calif. and back it is a great riding truck. With blue stripes running down the white body it looks fast sitting still. I get alot of comments about how good it looks even now after 5 years. I may never sell it.

As good a truck as any (Better than GM)
By JIMBEL500 on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck. I hate that they changed the body style in 2002. It could have better brakes. I have changed mine every 15000 miles. I had a main fuse blew and that is it. I have been very happy with the towing package. I pull a 5000# boat with it and it pulls it out of a steap ramp. In all I give this truck a score of 95%. Gas mile could be better but all trucks could be but then how would it pull my boat. (and it is the 5.9l 360)

Don't listen to the negative reviews
By CBizzle on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had this car for a year and a half and let me tell you it's a great truck. Never had any major problems with it at all. Great on and off road truck. Having both a Yukon and a dodge ram, the dodge definitley gives you a better ride when you are going off road. Would recommend to anyone.

I'll never buy another one!
By neveragain on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a nightmare. I've had several full brake jobs, calipers, and master cylinder. Heating coil went out with 80000 miles. Now, after 6 times to ALLEN SAMUELS DODGE in Fort Worth Texas, I'm told that I need a new engine. Their suppossed 5-star service is truely pathetic. After several heated exchanges with service advisor, manager, I talked to the general manager, and was told that this is normal for the RAM1500 with 134000 miles. He actually tried to sell me another Dodge, I wouldn't buy another Dodge if you held a gun to my head!

Speaking up too!
By TDouty on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I, too, was quite surprised to read all the negative reviews of this truck. I have owned this vehicle for over 4 years now and haven't had any major problems that weren't covered by the standard warranty. I understand the problem that was reported with the steering column. I had to have it replaced shortly after buying the vehicle because the shift lever was acting flakey and sometimes wouldn't come out of park. The brake rotors could be heftier; I've had problems with them warping and the most I tow is a 2000 lb popup camper. It's a simple job to take them off and take them to be touched up at the local garage. Overall, it's been a great truck.