Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

I love my SST
By Hilt Taylor

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

My wife got this truck for me on Valentine's day. What a great gift. I have had this truck from Ohio to Delaware on the east coast where her family lives many times and this is the best riding, best handling, and best performing vehicle I have ever had. When I got it I was getting about 12 mpg, after installing a K&N filter and Z-Max I'm know getting about 16 mpg. Who cares it looks great and runs great.

Everything about this truck is my favorite things I like. I can't believe that Dodge didn't push this truck more when it was new.

Nothing!

Fix A Few Things Wiil Ya Dodge?
By OldDodgeFan

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB

Dodge cut some corners to save pennies and made a truck of lower quality. Cup holders are 100% guaranteed to break at the hinges. Paint is very thin at places. My work truck (read no carpet) floor mat pulled from doorsills in first few months. Dodge could have left 2 inches more material and eliminated this problem. No front end grease fittings from factory. My local Dodge dealer added them for me. I had the top of the dash crack on a cold morning. I live very close to Florida! Again a cold morning 40F! At that point not covered under warranty. I bought a cover A good truck that could have been better.

Exterior looks

Cup holder. Paint. Dash material. Add grease fittings

Never own another one 2nd mistake
By Vince

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have owned 2 Ram trucks. The first one was a 1986 2wd 6 cyl 1500 standard. This was a good truck it did have it's own set of problems Transmissions! The 1998 is a big disappointment. The first problem was tire wear.Had to replace front tires at 10,000 miles. It always ran ruff,ate breaks,poor mileage, rear window always leaked, and now needs a trans job at 100,000 miles. This is the last Dodge I will own. I have owned 4 others. Their quality has hit bottom and it's a shame. I was a Dodge diehard/no more.

I like the large cab, roomy. Very comfortable to drive.

Transmission problems/brakes/ruff idleing

Good All Around Truck
By Mopar Fan

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for almost 2 years. It has 90k miles and giving it a tune up and changing fluids is the only thing I've ever had to do. It is very dependable and tows my 18ft fishing boat with ease. Very impressed with limited-slip rear end and engine torque. I can pull boat up very slippery ramps with little or no wheel spin and it's a 2W drive.

Overall craftsmanship. Seats and instruments inside have all held up great. Truck is very solid.

Definitely gas mileage. I can get around 15 around town being careful with the throttle, but that's part of having a truck that can also pull. (I have friends with small trucks with V6s and their mpg is about the same as mine.

Won't buy another Dodge!
By Chevybound

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck new with 2 miles on the odo. Engine has run great but no power and terrible fule ecomony. Transmission is terrible. A/C core started leaking after 2 years. Dodge had problems with these and refused to warranty.