1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
I love my SST
By Hilt Taylor on 11/21/08 18:19 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

My wife got this truck for me on Valentine's day. What a great gift. I have had this truck from Ohio to Delaware on the east coast where her family lives many times and this is the best riding, best handling, and best performing vehicle I have ever had. When I got it I was getting about 12 mpg, after installing a K&N filter and Z-Max I'm know getting about 16 mpg. Who cares it looks great and runs great.

Fix A Few Things Wiil Ya Dodge?
By OldDodgeFan on 11/15/06 14:36 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB

Dodge cut some corners to save pennies and made a truck of lower quality. Cup holders are 100% guaranteed to break at the hinges. Paint is very thin at places. My work truck (read no carpet) floor mat pulled from doorsills in first few months. Dodge could have left 2 inches more material and eliminated this problem. No front end grease fittings from factory. My local Dodge dealer added them for me. I had the top of the dash crack on a cold morning. I live very close to Florida! Again a cold morning 40F! At that point not covered under warranty. I bought a cover A good truck that could have been better.

Never own another one 2nd mistake
By Vince on 03/23/06 14:34 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have owned 2 Ram trucks. The first one was a 1986 2wd 6 cyl 1500 standard. This was a good truck it did have it's own set of problems Transmissions! The 1998 is a big disappointment. The first problem was tire wear.Had to replace front tires at 10,000 miles. It always ran ruff,ate breaks,poor mileage, rear window always leaked, and now needs a trans job at 100,000 miles. This is the last Dodge I will own. I have owned 4 others. Their quality has hit bottom and it's a shame. I was a Dodge diehard/no more.

Good All Around Truck
By Mopar Fan on 03/03/05 23:11 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck for almost 2 years. It has 90k miles and giving it a tune up and changing fluids is the only thing I've ever had to do. It is very dependable and tows my 18ft fishing boat with ease. Very impressed with limited-slip rear end and engine torque. I can pull boat up very slippery ramps with little or no wheel spin and it's a 2W drive.

Won't buy another Dodge!
By Chevybound on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this truck new with 2 miles on the odo. Engine has run great but no power and terrible fule ecomony. Transmission is terrible. A/C core started leaking after 2 years. Dodge had problems with these and refused to warranty.

Transmission Stinks
By jase1234 on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

They need to recall for transmission problems.

Great truck!
By Roy True on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Transmission is the weakest link. Mine had to be replaced at 60k. Other than that, replaced the battery and the serpentine belt once, tires twice.

love my truck
By feff on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB

well, reading the bashing statements from other people crack me up, i guess they don't think that chevy and ford have there problems. As far as the brakes, they are made by "G.M." so there's your problem. i agree the brakes are defiently under par, but in atlanta traffic there going to be a issue. i've driven my truck very hard for 80,000 miles now, bringing it to the drag strip every weekend for about 2 years straight, and now every weekend towing a 4,000 lb. car. As far as the power goes, at least once a week i blow a chevy away. I love my truck, and wouldn't tell anyone not to buy one!

Great Truck to drive / own
By Rambo on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This has been a great truck to drive and own. This is my first Dodge truck after Fords and Chevys and have always liked std cabs and this one is enormous. I applaud Chrysler for this great truck

radiator/gasket problems
By bigearl on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought used 10/00 with 36k miles from dealer 5 hrs. from home. Halfway home, checked oil. After pouring in 4 quarts of oil, called the purchasing dealer. Replaced headgasket at nearest dealer. Limped truck home, still burning oil, brought it to local dealer, who replaced valley pan gasket, upper & lower intake gaskets & thermostat gasket, all warranty work. 10/02 replaced radiator & thermostat after overheating ($600). 5/02 replaced water pump & did brake work ($490). Feb. '03, have radiator leak & need new radiator, 16 months & 7,000 miles since last radiator. I don't drive off road & am frustrated to be looking at my 3rd radiator with 50k miles on truck.