1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Decent truck for 1998
By Ryan on 06/05/09 15:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Still nice driving down the road even hitting bumps other than my Flowmaster 40 I put in it, very quiet. My issues are with the upper and lower ball joints, the AC evaporator and the heater core. The AC has been out for years, the heater core leaks and the ball joints went two years ago. To get to the heater core and evaporator you have to take the whole dash out, about $400 in labor alone. The ball joints were replaced with actual ones that CAN be greased. Failed rear seat lever.

Go anywhere, do anything.
By DBuck on 03/21/05 09:23 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used with over 100K on it; rebuilt engine and tranny. It's been a real workhorse. Love my truck. Hauls good, though not as well as a 'heavy duty'.

5.2l ram 4x4
By josh roorda on 03/16/05 22:39 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a very good truck, very reliable. I haul building supplies etc. with it very often. I have a slide in camper. The truck seems to handle weight OK after air bags were installed. I find the steering to be poor and non responsive. Engine runs well and has adequate power, but fuel economy is much worse than expected.

98 Quad-Cab 4x4
By mfloyd on 02/25/05 22:30 PM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in Feb of 1998.I didnt order it because I needed a good reliable truck right then. My 85 Ford 4x4 was breaking down faster then I could keep up with it. So I bought my Dodge off the lot. The truck has preformed great. Very comfortable interior, great looking exterior. These trucks are like the vehicles of years gone by when you could tell the make and model from a 1/2 mile away. Now most vehicles all look the same. You have to walk up close to see the name badge to see what it is, but not the Dodge Ram. You can tell it's a Ram from a mile away

Excellent Truck
By stoltzt66 on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been very happy with this vehicle. I originally bought it for its looks. But after 5 years I'll say I'm glad I have it for every other reason too. It has everything you'll ever need on a vehicle, passenger room, hauling room and great comfort too.

RAMMIN' Tough
By Purvis on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love my truck! bought it in 98 no problems, had rotors changed at 52,000mi. strong 5.9, although it sips gas...awesome power! Dodge Trucks RULE!

Can't trust this one
By menothappy on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Dodge Trucks are Ram Tough? My data says different. Not only did the thing break down on me at 63K miles, but the so-called "power train" warranty really didn't cover the power train. That is unless you don't consider the heads and head gasket as part of the engine. Also had a pass through window that leaked, brakes and bed that squeaked,and had the fuel pump go out at 30K miles.

OK, but...
By ME TOO on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Ever since the re-design of the '94 models, I lusted after one. Leased a loaded quad-cab. Then, reality hits. Had to replace rotors around 10,000 miles($500). Front bumper paint(Black Sport Model) started to bubble, flake. Now, the front bumper has rust spots all over. Dealer said "we've seen this happen before, but warranty doesn't cover". Had to replace speakers TWICE! Then, all was good until 55,000 miles (5.9 L - engine).Passing gear and poor fuel caused a sucked intake gasket, and COMPLETELY threw off the timing. Once again, no warranty coverage. But overall, the truck did it's job and it's had it's own hightlights as well.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Quad cab SB
By mongooose on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered this trk in Nvo of 97 & waited impatiently! The dealer had it cleaned and waxed siiting in the middle of the shop, waiting for it's Master! and the expirience goes on from there. Excellent TRUCK, and that is what I expected ..a TRUCK. Pulls like an ox, I pulled so many people out of the snow! People would ask just what kind of truck is that, or what model is that? It is my pride and joy Has won 1st place every year in the Mid Atlantic Jamboree 4 years in a row! Lots of mods done & alot of aftermarket available. What more can I say. A great Fun TRUCK!

Built RAM Tough
By NoVaDawg on 11/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

With nearly 58,000 miles on my truck I've had only one major issue to date. The dealership had the truck back to me within 48 hours and since all has been perfect. I wish there was a little more variety available in fabric options. Otherwise no complaints at all. This truck takes me everywhere without questions. The sound system is above average. The fun factor is WAY ABOVE average. If you're looking for fuel economy WHY are you looking at a full size truck?