Used 1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Decent truck for 1998
By Ryan

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Still nice driving down the road even hitting bumps other than my Flowmaster 40 I put in it, very quiet. My issues are with the upper and lower ball joints, the AC evaporator and the heater core. The AC has been out for years, the heater core leaks and the ball joints went two years ago. To get to the heater core and evaporator you have to take the whole dash out, about $400 in labor alone. The ball joints were replaced with actual ones that CAN be greased. Failed rear seat lever.

Style, drive train reliability, how the vehicle holds together so no road noise nor loose pieces.

I should have waited for the true 4-door to come out. Rust on the bottom of the doors.

Go anywhere, do anything.
By DBuck

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used with over 100K on it; rebuilt engine and tranny. It's been a real workhorse. Love my truck. Hauls good, though not as well as a 'heavy duty'.

4WD. Snow, drifts, mud, etc. What's that? Got ya covered baby. Love the quad cab too. So much room!!

The gas mileage is the only real downer. A little slow, but, hey, it's big. Real damp weather gets to the plugs sometime, but not usually a problem.

5.2l ram 4x4
By josh roorda

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a very good truck, very reliable. I haul building supplies etc. with it very often. I have a slide in camper. The truck seems to handle weight OK after air bags were installed. I find the steering to be poor and non responsive. Engine runs well and has adequate power, but fuel economy is much worse than expected.

The quad cab design is great

Fuel economy must be impoved, and steering could be impoved

98 Quad-Cab 4x4
By mfloyd

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new in Feb of 1998.I didnt order it because I needed a good reliable truck right then. My 85 Ford 4x4 was breaking down faster then I could keep up with it. So I bought my Dodge off the lot. The truck has preformed great. Very comfortable interior, great looking exterior. These trucks are like the vehicles of years gone by when you could tell the make and model from a 1/2 mile away. Now most vehicles all look the same. You have to walk up close to see the name badge to see what it is, but not the Dodge Ram. You can tell it's a Ram from a mile away

The instrument cluster is easy to see. All switches are within arm's reach. Very comfortable seats. Lots of room front and back. Very stylish front clip. I also like the solid front axle. The new 1500's have an independent front axle.

The springs on the 1500 see a bit weak for a truck and the front disc brakes are too small. Other then that I can't think of anything else and I used to be a mechanic, so I'm very picky.

Excellent Truck
By stoltzt66

1998 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been very happy with this vehicle. I originally bought it for its looks. But after 5 years I'll say I'm glad I have it for every other reason too. It has everything you'll ever need on a vehicle, passenger room, hauling room and great comfort too.

Some of the best feature of the truck have been its SIZE. Everything is a bit bigger.....Center console, cup holders, seats, mirrors......the list goes on.

Better feel for the road. I know it's a truck but a better feel for the road would be great.