1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 5.2L V8 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Reliable, good looks, fun to

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Review

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Reliable, good looks, fun to drive
By MeanBlueDodge on

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I thought it would be good to give a review after 6+ months of owning a 1997 Dodge Laramie SLT SB 4WD pickup. I bought it with 182K and now have about 188K. It has been reliable, I did have to replace tie rod ends & track bar (PA inspection), but it has a 3" lift and I don't know the past history-so no complaints. What has impressed me is no rust (Northeast is tough on trucks), paint looks still shiny, interior needed a good cleaning but I'll be installing a new headliner and mat for the floor. I used to own a Ford F150 w/a little higher mileage (205K) but the tranny was shot and it rusting fast. Ram ++Great looks, +comfortable. Motor is real quiet,(not like the Ford)-gas mpg 16/13-just OK ;/

Favorite Features

Looks-tough looking, very comfortable, good ride, quiet engine-decent performance. Lots of room in the cab!!

Suggested Improvements

Gentleman modify your cup holder - I did!, Big side mirrors block view, 5.2L economy so-so. I think engine would probably lack power w/towing 4000+ lb loads recommend a 5.9 L (probably will only give you 1-2 mpg decrease tops).