Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Solid truck
By Mark

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '97. very reliable. Only high dollar items that went bad were a pinion bearing and a fuel pump. This truck had a lot of life left in it, until some old lady ran a stop sign and totaled it! I will be buying another Dodge for sure!

Perfomance, looks, durability. can add a lot of "go fast" goodies too!

Who in there right mind would put a cup holder up that high! Products often dumped while normal cornering.

Lemon
By LeeLee

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck from an old man who had all the service records. The truck had 67,700 miles on it. In the last year I only put 3,700 miles on it and every time I drive it I end up having to go to the mechanic. Last time the power steering pump shaft broke, this time it's the transmission. It's the biggest money pit.

Powerful for towing. Nice colors, exterior design is nice.

Make it so I can drive it without it breaking down.

No good
By d

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 65k miles on it and it now has 90k after 4 years. I have had it in the shop at least twice a year since I bought it, mostly for big items (tranny, fuel injectors, etc). I like the look of the truck but it's the biggest money pit I've ever owned! This truck may just be a lemon, but I would suggest doing my research before buying one. I've heard similar tales from other Dodge Ram owners.

This truck has no shortage of power and when it's running well (very rare) it's definitely a pleasure to drive. For a truck its pretty comfortable and theres a lot of space in the front seat.

The cup holder is terrible, your'e better off not using it. I've spilled many cups of coffee in an early morning daze, also the rear seat in the extended cab has very little space and very uncomfortable. It's only suited for children and some small storage.

My first Dodge
By Ron Jordan

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I actually bought this truck off ebay....flew to Houston, Tx. and drove it back 734 miles (to Alabama) in 11.5 hours.....and I've got a bad back! Most comfortable truck I've ever been in! Have had a few squeaks but otherwise, just fine. Would like more mpg from the 318, but not bad @ 15/16 local. Doesn't go up much on the highway though. Overall, a good truck. Quiet and comfortable....looks good too.

Love the fold-down center armrest! Great on a long drive.

Wish the cupholders were in a lower position.....interferes with the radio controls.

first owner perspective
By opsboss111

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased the truck new in 1997. Have had 1 front wheel bearing assembly go bad at 50k miles and just replaced the O2 sensor at 85k miles. Routine maintenance - change oil, trans, axles, etc. pulls my 19 ft boat just fine. Very pleased with this truck.

good looks, easy to drive in 4wd; excellent pulling ability in 4wd low range.