1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Solid truck
By Mark on 10/05/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '97. very reliable. Only high dollar items that went bad were a pinion bearing and a fuel pump. This truck had a lot of life left in it, until some old lady ran a stop sign and totaled it! I will be buying another Dodge for sure!

Lemon
By LeeLee on 09/07/05 23:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck from an old man who had all the service records. The truck had 67,700 miles on it. In the last year I only put 3,700 miles on it and every time I drive it I end up having to go to the mechanic. Last time the power steering pump shaft broke, this time it's the transmission. It's the biggest money pit.

No good
By d on 04/18/05 00:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 65k miles on it and it now has 90k after 4 years. I have had it in the shop at least twice a year since I bought it, mostly for big items (tranny, fuel injectors, etc). I like the look of the truck but it's the biggest money pit I've ever owned! This truck may just be a lemon, but I would suggest doing my research before buying one. I've heard similar tales from other Dodge Ram owners.

My first Dodge
By Ron Jordan on 11/11/04 21:33 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I actually bought this truck off ebay....flew to Houston, Tx. and drove it back 734 miles (to Alabama) in 11.5 hours.....and I've got a bad back! Most comfortable truck I've ever been in! Have had a few squeaks but otherwise, just fine. Would like more mpg from the 318, but not bad @ 15/16 local. Doesn't go up much on the highway though. Overall, a good truck. Quiet and comfortable....looks good too.

first owner perspective
By opsboss111 on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased the truck new in 1997. Have had 1 front wheel bearing assembly go bad at 50k miles and just replaced the O2 sensor at 85k miles. Routine maintenance - change oil, trans, axles, etc. pulls my 19 ft boat just fine. Very pleased with this truck.

1997 Laramie SLT 1500
By beauwy on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

94,000 miles so far, no repairs yet except regular maintenance and wear parts. Very pleased with this truck.

Would i buy again?
By Craigger on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Besides the gas mileage this 1/2 tons truck was always there for me and never left me stranded after 137000 miles. Its time to trade it in for a 1 ton cummins.

rating for resale
By jwwdad on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

have had no problems with this vehicle. Just want to get larger truck

97 Ram 1500
By M Wilcox on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a fun vehicle to drive. Had to get the transmission worked at about 45,000 miles and the anti-lock brake light came on when new (warranty item). Brakes were good for over 80,000 miles. Other than that, only normal maintenance. I expect it to keep on ticking for a long time.

2nd Time Around
By Allen Grosser on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I reviewed this about a year ago. It is still going strong, however, I have had about 3 instances of the Check Engine Light come on over the past year. It was all minor stuff. One of them involved a vacuum seal that was also causing the Cruise Control to not work. I also need to replace the carpets because of mold. Not Dodge's fault of course, but I wish I had gotten those rubber molded floors instead of carpet. Why do they put carpet in a truck anyway? What a waste. Anyway, I am still very impressed with this Dodge and the only thing that drives me crazy is that now I want one of the newer ones.