Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Exelent Truck
By damando

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1997 and have had it ever since. Very dependable , Pulls a bayliner dual axle boat trailer with no problems. Have done most of repairs myself. After 14 yrs I only have to drop the tranny and rebuild it. I am very proud of this truck and if I can afford it I will buy another.

Comfortable ride ! Brush guard, running boards

For some reason I have had to replace my right front 4x4 u-joint 3x go figure-? Its now 2010 and I just removed the front so its a 2x4 now.

Best I Have Owned
By webby1960

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned every make, owned every model, I treat my truck like a work horse and it delivers every time. Most reliable thing on the farm...You won't go wrong with this rig...got 310,000 miles on it and just came back from a 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer...never missed a beat. After owning this rig, I can't even remember what a Ford or Chevy looks like.

power, reliability and looks the old girl still gets.

The Turd
By fishrman

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This lemon is currently in the weeds behind our shed. (Waiting for scrap value to go up). We replaced the transmission twice, plus spent about 6000 on misc repairs and countless breakdowns in the two years it was actually on the road. It was purchased used, so its condition could have been due to prior mistreatment. However, I will NEVER buy a Dodge again. Ever. What a money pit.

Nice, fast, simple truck!
By Thommy B.

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Just got this black and silver 1997 dodge ram ss/t. I always have been a fan of dodge, but this has to be one of the nicest trucks out there especially with as many years it has. The throttle is still very responsive, and it's tight like a new truck. A big 5.9 liter engine is plenty of power to haul this baby around. May be somewhat tiny but don't be so certain you can run over it in your huge trucks on lifts. The napoleon affect.

Nice, simple style in truck... It took me only about maybe 5 minutes to understand all the controls and where stuff was at. Very roomy for a regular cab pickup. Plenty of power. Nice sound!

Gas mileage is pretty bad, but it is a truck. I get 10-13 in the city, and 16- 19 on the highway.

A Love & Hate Relationship
By Will H

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Love: I love how this truck looks, especially in Black w/the black f&r bumpers; why Dodge put chrome mirrors on this one is beyond me? Grey interior w/a beige headliner is also weird! Nothing I can't change easily through the use of after market accessories. I also love how this truck sounds after adding a "TRUE" dual exhaust system with flow master American Thunder mufflers. The power was lacking so I installed a K&N FIPK, a JET Stage II Chip, JET throttle body spacer and Bosch +4 spark plugs, and fully synthetic Amsoil engine, trans, case and diff oil and the truck breaths fire now. It has been very reliable so far. The HATE: The dash is cracked all to Hell. After market!

The sound and aggressive looks

Use higher quality plastics. I have a 40 yro Mercedes-Benz that sits outside for years at a time and the dash still looks brand new! Better ergonomics, the cup holder sits above the radio!