1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Exelent Truck
By damando on 09/25/11 19:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1997 and have had it ever since. Very dependable , Pulls a bayliner dual axle boat trailer with no problems. Have done most of repairs myself. After 14 yrs I only have to drop the tranny and rebuild it. I am very proud of this truck and if I can afford it I will buy another.

The Turd
By fishrman on 08/31/10 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This lemon is currently in the weeds behind our shed. (Waiting for scrap value to go up). We replaced the transmission twice, plus spent about 6000 on misc repairs and countless breakdowns in the two years it was actually on the road. It was purchased used, so its condition could have been due to prior mistreatment. However, I will NEVER buy a Dodge again. Ever. What a money pit.

Nice, fast, simple truck!
By Thommy B. on 06/14/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Just got this black and silver 1997 dodge ram ss/t. I always have been a fan of dodge, but this has to be one of the nicest trucks out there especially with as many years it has. The throttle is still very responsive, and it's tight like a new truck. A big 5.9 liter engine is plenty of power to haul this baby around. May be somewhat tiny but don't be so certain you can run over it in your huge trucks on lifts. The napoleon affect.

Runs like a champ!
By urbancowboy0307 on 04/14/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love this truck. I got if from my Grandfather after he passed a couple years ago, had 35K on it now has 78K. Nothing big has gone yet. replaced shocks (70K on them!), steering pump (65K on it) Truck is getting me 17.8 MPG in town. Starts everyday no matter the weather, nice smooth ride. I've got the 5.2 L which could use just a tad more power to really move, but I don't do much towing so it's fine for me.

60K to 120K good truck
By Bill H on 01/21/09 21:01 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've enjoyed this truck. I would buy another. My income puts me in the used market so I don't have huge brand loyalty. I used it to tow a 28 foot travel trailer on holiday weekends - decent power for that. Four wheel drive in the snow is great. I did spend money on some repairs. Intake mainfold gasket replaced, front wheel bearings, and front end steering parts twice. I think that it's just part of the 4WD thging. I live in Wisconsin. It's starting to rust - go figure.

Still Smoking
By jimi on 08/01/08 08:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck new 'cause I fell in love with it. Happy to say I still am 124K miles later The truck is still the benchmark for styling and has performed almost flawlessly. The exception being the brakes, which was fixed with a higher quality pad. It has towed my boat or my camper for about half of those miles. It still runs like brand new and delivers 17 mpg at 75-80 on the freeway. With platinum plugs and 8 mm wires. Very happy and will probably never let it go.

Dependable Plow Truck
By Pete on 06/08/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my truck from a friend with 30,00 miles on it. Had a 8' western snow plow on it. I put my 7 1/2' western on it. Been an incredible truck. Plowed snow with it every year since I bought it. Every one always says Dodge Transmissions were junk, but mine went strong. Rebuilt it in Feb. of '06 with 128,000 miles on it (not bad considering what snow plowing can do to a truck). Still has original alternator in it. My snow plow's hydraulics are powered by the battery (electric). My dodge now has 150,00 miles on it and is still a great truck. Wish it were a crew cab. Single cab w/ 6' box. Short Wheel base makes plowing very nice though. But now have 2 kids and no room for the whole family.

Reliable, good looks, fun to drive
By MeanBlueDodge on 04/25/08 21:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I thought it would be good to give a review after 6+ months of owning a 1997 Dodge Laramie SLT SB 4WD pickup. I bought it with 182K and now have about 188K. It has been reliable, I did have to replace tie rod ends & track bar (PA inspection), but it has a 3" lift and I don't know the past history-so no complaints. What has impressed me is no rust (Northeast is tough on trucks), paint looks still shiny, interior needed a good cleaning but I'll be installing a new headliner and mat for the floor. I used to own a Ford F150 w/a little higher mileage (205K) but the tranny was shot and it rusting fast. Ram ++Great looks, +comfortable. Motor is real quiet,(not like the Ford)-gas mpg 16/13-just OK ;/

Great truck
By best truck ever on 04/18/08 16:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Excellent truck, the women always love it. Very sexy (black with silver stripes). Runs like a Dodge, and keeps on running. I'm selling it only because of the price of gasoline (she can't help it if she loves to chug, it's how she was built!)

Dodge Ram
By Kevin on 11/09/07 20:46 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck is a gas hog, 13 mpg all of the time, I do have the 4x4 package, I have bought fuel saving products, none work, the trucks sounds great, blows Chevy and Ford out of the water in sound alone. Truck has been reliable other than the transmission going out, but thats the risk you take with any used truck. Remember 60% of people do not keep up the maintenance, so someone else down the line has to pay for it. I would recommend the truck to anyone that doesn't care about gas mileage