1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Best I Have Owned
By webby1960 on 02/24/11 16:28 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned every make, owned every model, I treat my truck like a work horse and it delivers every time. Most reliable thing on the farm...You won't go wrong with this rig...got 310,000 miles on it and just came back from a 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer...never missed a beat. After owning this rig, I can't even remember what a Ford or Chevy looks like.

Love My Truck
By Joe on 01/28/09 05:01 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck I've ever owned. I had no problems at all until 279,000 miles. I would recommend a Dodge to anyone that needs dependability. I carry an average of 2500lbs in the bed at all times. The down side is I get 13 miles per gallon if I'm empty or pulling a trailer with 10000lbs.

Awesome
By Charles on 04/05/07 21:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

All I have to say is, Wow. I bought this truck from the original owner, 65 yr old male. Drove the truck like a baby, took awesome care of it, all synthetic liquids throughut the truck. It has 235,000 miles on it and runs like you wouldn't believe. Original everything. Tranny, engine/fuel pump, everything. He kept regular maintence and kept her running beautifully.

Solid truck
By Mark on 10/05/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '97. very reliable. Only high dollar items that went bad were a pinion bearing and a fuel pump. This truck had a lot of life left in it, until some old lady ran a stop sign and totaled it! I will be buying another Dodge for sure!

Lemon
By LeeLee on 09/07/05 23:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck from an old man who had all the service records. The truck had 67,700 miles on it. In the last year I only put 3,700 miles on it and every time I drive it I end up having to go to the mechanic. Last time the power steering pump shaft broke, this time it's the transmission. It's the biggest money pit.

No good
By d on 04/18/05 00:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 65k miles on it and it now has 90k after 4 years. I have had it in the shop at least twice a year since I bought it, mostly for big items (tranny, fuel injectors, etc). I like the look of the truck but it's the biggest money pit I've ever owned! This truck may just be a lemon, but I would suggest doing my research before buying one. I've heard similar tales from other Dodge Ram owners.

My first Dodge
By Ron Jordan on 11/11/04 21:33 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I actually bought this truck off ebay....flew to Houston, Tx. and drove it back 734 miles (to Alabama) in 11.5 hours.....and I've got a bad back! Most comfortable truck I've ever been in! Have had a few squeaks but otherwise, just fine. Would like more mpg from the 318, but not bad @ 15/16 local. Doesn't go up much on the highway though. Overall, a good truck. Quiet and comfortable....looks good too.

97 Ram 1500
By M Wilcox on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been a fun vehicle to drive. Had to get the transmission worked at about 45,000 miles and the anti-lock brake light came on when new (warranty item). Brakes were good for over 80,000 miles. Other than that, only normal maintenance. I expect it to keep on ticking for a long time.

2nd Time Around
By Allen Grosser on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I reviewed this about a year ago. It is still going strong, however, I have had about 3 instances of the Check Engine Light come on over the past year. It was all minor stuff. One of them involved a vacuum seal that was also causing the Cruise Control to not work. I also need to replace the carpets because of mold. Not Dodge's fault of course, but I wish I had gotten those rubber molded floors instead of carpet. Why do they put carpet in a truck anyway? What a waste. Anyway, I am still very impressed with this Dodge and the only thing that drives me crazy is that now I want one of the newer ones.

Awesome Truck!
By Cole Gerdes on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a great truck. I don't think my Mopar engine is ever giong to die. I have 217000 miles on it and I've never replaced a single thing on the truck.