Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Best I Have Owned
By webby1960

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned every make, owned every model, I treat my truck like a work horse and it delivers every time.
Most reliable thing on the farm...You won't go wrong with this rig...got 310,000 miles on it and just came back from a 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer...never missed a beat.

After owning this rig, I can't even remember what a Ford or Chevy looks like.

power, reliability and looks the old girl still gets.

A Love & Hate Relationship
By Will H

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Love: I love how this truck looks, especially in Black w/the black f&r bumpers; why Dodge put chrome mirrors on this one is beyond me? Grey interior w/a beige headliner is also weird! Nothing I can't change easily through the use of after market accessories. I also love how this truck sounds after adding a "TRUE" dual exhaust system with flow master American Thunder mufflers. The power was lacking so I installed a K&N FIPK, a JET Stage II Chip, JET throttle body spacer and Bosch +4 spark plugs, and fully synthetic Amsoil engine, trans, case and diff oil and the truck breaths fire now. It has been very reliable so far. The HATE: The dash is cracked all to Hell. After market!

The sound and aggressive looks

Use higher quality plastics. I have a 40 yro Mercedes-Benz that sits outside for years at a time and the dash still looks brand new! Better ergonomics, the cup holder sits above the radio!

My First Truck
By csearls

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First off, I want to say it is an ok truck. We bought with 167K miles on it and put bout 12K on it. But we have only owned it one year and already replaced fuel pump and a wheel cylinder. The dealership said it had one owner. We feel like that we have been ripped off! We cannot even trade it in since we can only get 2000 for it and still owe like 4000 on the loan. So now we are stuck with a truck that could break down any day!

Love the sound of it. Love the fact that it doesn't have much rust on it. It is a nice running truck and got us through the winter with the 4x4.

Could be better on gas mileage. Cup holder is broken and the stereo system is junk too.

Love My Truck
By Joe

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck I've ever owned. I had no problems at all until 279,000 miles. I would recommend a Dodge to anyone that needs dependability. I carry an average of 2500lbs in the bed at all times. The down side is I get 13 miles per gallon if I'm empty or pulling a trailer with 10000lbs.

The comfort, dependability

None

211,660 and still going
By Hector

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought it with 100,000. First Dodge truck I ever had. Wow! I will always stick with Dodge from now on! What a dependable truck. Same engine & transmission, no rust or clear coat peel, I wax it a lot. Replaced, brake line, pads and rotors, battery, oil and filters. Just regular maintance. Daily driver. The carpet is worn and stained from Michigan winters and mud from off road. I pull a boat in the summer (17 feet) and my boy's lawn service equemptment. I change the fluid and filter one year and flush it the next. Also, use the +4 transmission fluid. It's more pricy than most but it is recomended by Dodge. Has not failed me yet!

I love the wide cab and the smooth ride even with B.F. Goodrich MT's on. Plenty of power with the 5.9 for what I use it for.

I would like the bed light to turn on with out having to turn on the interior light also.