Used 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Best I Have Owned
By webby1960 on 02/24/11 16:28 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned every make, owned every model, I treat my truck like a work horse and it delivers every time. Most reliable thing on the farm...You won't go wrong with this rig...got 310,000 miles on it and just came back from a 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer...never missed a beat. After owning this rig, I can't even remember what a Ford or Chevy looks like.

A Love & Hate Relationship
By Will H on 04/16/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Love: I love how this truck looks, especially in Black w/the black f&r bumpers; why Dodge put chrome mirrors on this one is beyond me? Grey interior w/a beige headliner is also weird! Nothing I can't change easily through the use of after market accessories. I also love how this truck sounds after adding a "TRUE" dual exhaust system with flow master American Thunder mufflers. The power was lacking so I installed a K&N FIPK, a JET Stage II Chip, JET throttle body spacer and Bosch +4 spark plugs, and fully synthetic Amsoil engine, trans, case and diff oil and the truck breaths fire now. It has been very reliable so far. The HATE: The dash is cracked all to Hell. After market!

My First Truck
By csearls on 08/10/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First off, I want to say it is an ok truck. We bought with 167K miles on it and put bout 12K on it. But we have only owned it one year and already replaced fuel pump and a wheel cylinder. The dealership said it had one owner. We feel like that we have been ripped off! We cannot even trade it in since we can only get 2000 for it and still owe like 4000 on the loan. So now we are stuck with a truck that could break down any day!

Love My Truck
By Joe on 01/28/09 05:01 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck I've ever owned. I had no problems at all until 279,000 miles. I would recommend a Dodge to anyone that needs dependability. I carry an average of 2500lbs in the bed at all times. The down side is I get 13 miles per gallon if I'm empty or pulling a trailer with 10000lbs.

211,660 and still going
By Hector on 12/14/08 19:36 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought it with 100,000. First Dodge truck I ever had. Wow! I will always stick with Dodge from now on! What a dependable truck. Same engine & transmission, no rust or clear coat peel, I wax it a lot. Replaced, brake line, pads and rotors, battery, oil and filters. Just regular maintance. Daily driver. The carpet is worn and stained from Michigan winters and mud from off road. I pull a boat in the summer (17 feet) and my boy's lawn service equemptment. I change the fluid and filter one year and flush it the next. Also, use the +4 transmission fluid. It's more pricy than most but it is recomended by Dodge. Has not failed me yet!

Love This Truck
By James on 09/02/08 04:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

When i bought the truck i was skeptical at first about gas mileage but i soon came to realize that the 5.2 L is really a pretty economic motor. My truck has 119K on it and i haven't had any problems since buying it in Feb. of 07.

Awesome
By Charles on 04/05/07 21:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

All I have to say is, Wow. I bought this truck from the original owner, 65 yr old male. Drove the truck like a baby, took awesome care of it, all synthetic liquids throughut the truck. It has 235,000 miles on it and runs like you wouldn't believe. Original everything. Tranny, engine/fuel pump, everything. He kept regular maintence and kept her running beautifully.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4 Sport.
By Adam on 12/14/06 01:19 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the best truck I have ever owned. It is extremely realible. It is the heavy duty version, so I have not had any transmission problems. The only thing that is bad is the gas. I have did a little work on it to get batter gas mileage so it's not as bad.

Gas Guzzler
By Gene on 03/21/06 11:14 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is reliable and the build quality has surprised me, But the very poor mileage takes all of those benefits away. I get about 11 mpg on the highway right now with 97,000 miles on the clock. It's tuned up always has fresh oil but the gas never gets better. Oh well.

My '97 Dodge 4WD
By ashgrove on 11/09/05 17:36 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We lived in MN and drove this truck there for 6 years. This truck did everything we needed it to do - even through the worst winters in Mn history. We recently bought a travel trailer that is just too much for the 1500, so must sell it. Using hindsight, I should have bought the 3/4T at the time and I would be OK. Many, many great outdoor experiences with this vehicle. Very dependable.