1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Exelent Truck
By damando on 09/25/11 19:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1997 and have had it ever since. Very dependable , Pulls a bayliner dual axle boat trailer with no problems. Have done most of repairs myself. After 14 yrs I only have to drop the tranny and rebuild it. I am very proud of this truck and if I can afford it I will buy another.

Best I Have Owned
By webby1960 on 02/24/11 16:28 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Owned every make, owned every model, I treat my truck like a work horse and it delivers every time. Most reliable thing on the farm...You won't go wrong with this rig...got 310,000 miles on it and just came back from a 1200 mile trip pulling a trailer...never missed a beat. After owning this rig, I can't even remember what a Ford or Chevy looks like.

The Turd
By fishrman on 08/31/10 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This lemon is currently in the weeds behind our shed. (Waiting for scrap value to go up). We replaced the transmission twice, plus spent about 6000 on misc repairs and countless breakdowns in the two years it was actually on the road. It was purchased used, so its condition could have been due to prior mistreatment. However, I will NEVER buy a Dodge again. Ever. What a money pit.

Nice, fast, simple truck!
By Thommy B. on 06/14/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SS/T 2dr Regular Cab SB

Just got this black and silver 1997 dodge ram ss/t. I always have been a fan of dodge, but this has to be one of the nicest trucks out there especially with as many years it has. The throttle is still very responsive, and it's tight like a new truck. A big 5.9 liter engine is plenty of power to haul this baby around. May be somewhat tiny but don't be so certain you can run over it in your huge trucks on lifts. The napoleon affect.

A Love & Hate Relationship
By Will H on 04/16/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Love: I love how this truck looks, especially in Black w/the black f&r bumpers; why Dodge put chrome mirrors on this one is beyond me? Grey interior w/a beige headliner is also weird! Nothing I can't change easily through the use of after market accessories. I also love how this truck sounds after adding a "TRUE" dual exhaust system with flow master American Thunder mufflers. The power was lacking so I installed a K&N FIPK, a JET Stage II Chip, JET throttle body spacer and Bosch +4 spark plugs, and fully synthetic Amsoil engine, trans, case and diff oil and the truck breaths fire now. It has been very reliable so far. The HATE: The dash is cracked all to Hell. After market!

Runs like a champ!
By urbancowboy0307 on 04/14/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I love this truck. I got if from my Grandfather after he passed a couple years ago, had 35K on it now has 78K. Nothing big has gone yet. replaced shocks (70K on them!), steering pump (65K on it) Truck is getting me 17.8 MPG in town. Starts everyday no matter the weather, nice smooth ride. I've got the 5.2 L which could use just a tad more power to really move, but I don't do much towing so it's fine for me.

My First Truck
By csearls on 08/10/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

First off, I want to say it is an ok truck. We bought with 167K miles on it and put bout 12K on it. But we have only owned it one year and already replaced fuel pump and a wheel cylinder. The dealership said it had one owner. We feel like that we have been ripped off! We cannot even trade it in since we can only get 2000 for it and still owe like 4000 on the loan. So now we are stuck with a truck that could break down any day!

Love My Truck
By Joe on 01/28/09 05:01 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck I've ever owned. I had no problems at all until 279,000 miles. I would recommend a Dodge to anyone that needs dependability. I carry an average of 2500lbs in the bed at all times. The down side is I get 13 miles per gallon if I'm empty or pulling a trailer with 10000lbs.

60K to 120K good truck
By Bill H on 01/21/09 21:01 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I've enjoyed this truck. I would buy another. My income puts me in the used market so I don't have huge brand loyalty. I used it to tow a 28 foot travel trailer on holiday weekends - decent power for that. Four wheel drive in the snow is great. I did spend money on some repairs. Intake mainfold gasket replaced, front wheel bearings, and front end steering parts twice. I think that it's just part of the 4WD thging. I live in Wisconsin. It's starting to rust - go figure.

211,660 and still going
By Hector on 12/14/08 19:36 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought it with 100,000. First Dodge truck I ever had. Wow! I will always stick with Dodge from now on! What a dependable truck. Same engine & transmission, no rust or clear coat peel, I wax it a lot. Replaced, brake line, pads and rotors, battery, oil and filters. Just regular maintance. Daily driver. The carpet is worn and stained from Michigan winters and mud from off road. I pull a boat in the summer (17 feet) and my boy's lawn service equemptment. I change the fluid and filter one year and flush it the next. Also, use the +4 transmission fluid. It's more pricy than most but it is recomended by Dodge. Has not failed me yet!