Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

The best "cheap old truck" I ever bought!!
By Dave

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is compared to other old beater trucks I have bought for under $2000. I bought this truck 3 years ago with 142K on it for $1700. I put a $400 set of tires and $40 set of rear shocks on it the first week I had it. I replaced a $120 alternator a year ago and have changed the oil religiously using only Mobil 1 high mileage since I got it. It had a broken cruise control that was just a vacuum hose off. It needs u-joints in the drive shaft now-$20, 2 hrs. A window switch went bad after I left the window down in the rain...$5 at u-pull junkyard and 1 hr. 168K miles on the truck now.
Not a bad list for an old beater truck in 3 years of daily use.
Get the SLT Laramie package!! This truck has the most comfortable interior out of all the trucks I have ever spent any time in. The 40/20/40 split bench cloth reclining seats are very comfortable for big people. I'm 6'2" and don't have to slide the seat all the way back, nice for a regular cab truck. The moveable cargo tray system behind the seat is very useful. The Chrysler Infinity sound system is amazing! The head unit in my truck is aftermarket, but all the Infinity speakers are still installed and sound great. The sound deadening is good for a truck.

The Bad: The clearcoat has baked off long ago and the truck needs paint but, no one knew how to paint cars in the 90's. Chevy's, and Fords are the same. Something to do with regulations and V.O.C.'s or something like that is what an auto painter told me once.

Good Truck
By Paul

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck a little more than 4 years, and the only major work I've done has been the fuel pump. The truck now has 98000 miles, rides and drives like new

This truck kicks @ss!
By Thomas123

I've had my truck for almost 8 months
now, and I have nothing but good things
to say about it. It is amazingly
powerful with the 5.9L V8, and it is
truely fun to drive.

It tows a 2500lb. sailboat like it's a dingy, and it's easy to forget your towing anything at all...until you go to break, that is.

I wish it was a little heavier, it's a bit bouncy when there's nothing in the bed, but that is almost expected with any pickup. The cupholders don't hold very well, and there have been a few recalls.

Dodge Ram Sport
By RamFan

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Was in the shop twice for tranny
problems. The first time was the day
after I bought it - O-ring installed
improperly. The second time a spool
valve needed replaced (made tranny
noisy in reverse). Also, the FM section
of the Infinity stereo comes and goes.

Actually, no major problems. I plan on
keeping it for many years.

Looks and handling. Drives like a car, although ride is much harsher - which is to be expected. Also the 360 V8 gives over 18 mpg on the highway at freeway speeds (and above). If you're 6' or over, the truck has plenty of room, so you don't have to spend extra for an extended cab.

More low-end torque for the 360 engine. Accelerates great above 35 mph, but below that it's a dog. Truck has 3.55:1 posi differential. 3.90:1 would be better for around town.

dodge half tone
By ranchhouse

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

have had very few problems -- nothing
that should be unexpected, warranty has
been hassle-free,