Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

it starts and goes every single time. i can haul or pull anything. no matter how much it snows i can drive it.

fix the paint. and whats up with no recall on those trannys?

Tough truck
By Brian

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Interior Room, Power/acceleration, Styling, Solid front axle

Door hinges, Hood Latch (Mine released at 55 mph and ripped the hood off and smashed the windshield) and interior door panels. They aren't fastened very well and when I hit the door the pull handle broke off.

Not quitting any time soon
By Doug

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father gave this to me 5 yrs ago with 170k on it. It now has 226k. Not many repairs probably $2500 since 2005. I'm a big guy 6'5" 350lbs and the reg cab is great. No complaints really. I drive it everyday to work, 75 miles round trip. Shooting for 500k. No car payment $200 a yr for insurance, 22 mpg. 3.9l v6, 5 sp manual.

Dependable, full bench seat. Fuel economy.

Cup holder, more power points.

Another quality Chrysler Product?
By Darrel

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Why do Dodge trucks spend so much time at junk yards? Picking up parts that are unavailable from the manufacturer and taking these parts off relatively low-mile junk-yard carcasses. BTW just because the new trucks have a Hemi emblem doesn't mean it has anything to do with the Hemi of the 60-70's. It ought to say Lemi. So my Dodge, 176k miles currently on second engine and transmission. Actually not bad considering it's a Dodge. I wouldn't be happy with that low of a performance out of a quality automobile like Nissan or Toyota, but it's just a Dodge. So, now that it isn't American anymore why would anyone buy one? I guess the next 12 months will gives the answer to that.

My favorite feature is that the Dodge dealers never have the part I need and they want to charge 4 or 5x the reasonable cost of such a part. This inevitably drives me away and I keep finding better deals online, at junk yards, on eBay, or on Craigslist. Honestly I love this feature.

Nothing, it is interesting to see just how backwards and poorly designed their products become before consumers write them off completely. As for cost cutting measures, I doubt there are any finer examples of cutting corners, skimping on quality, and misleading consumers. Way to go Chrysler!

'96 Ram 4x4
By 1996 Ram

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck 7 months ago and it has been all around a good truck. The power is ample and the 4 wheel drive works great. The ride isn't overly good and neither is the gas mileage, about 400 km for a tank (98L). Automatic transmission sucks. It is poorly designed, shifts very sloppily, and kicks in and out of OD when it feels like it. Reverse is starting to go on it as well. The interior is simple and easy to to read and use the controls, but is very cheap looking although my dash hasn't cracked yet. Cups fall out of cup holders and are in an inconvenient location (blocks radio controls). As far as I can see the styling and engine are about the only thing this truck has going for it.

The engine, very powerful. The styling, very nice looking truck.

Auto transmission. Cup holders.