Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

The best "cheap old truck" I ever bought!!
By Dave

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is compared to other old beater trucks I have bought for under $2000. I bought this truck 3 years ago with 142K on it for $1700. I put a $400 set of tires and $40 set of rear shocks on it the first week I had it. I replaced a $120 alternator a year ago and have changed the oil religiously using only Mobil 1 high mileage since I got it. It had a broken cruise control that was just a vacuum hose off. It needs u-joints in the drive shaft now-$20, 2 hrs. A window switch went bad after I left the window down in the rain...$5 at u-pull junkyard and 1 hr. 168K miles on the truck now.
Not a bad list for an old beater truck in 3 years of daily use.
Get the SLT Laramie package!! This truck has the most comfortable interior out of all the trucks I have ever spent any time in. The 40/20/40 split bench cloth reclining seats are very comfortable for big people. I'm 6'2" and don't have to slide the seat all the way back, nice for a regular cab truck. The moveable cargo tray system behind the seat is very useful. The Chrysler Infinity sound system is amazing! The head unit in my truck is aftermarket, but all the Infinity speakers are still installed and sound great. The sound deadening is good for a truck.

The Bad: The clearcoat has baked off long ago and the truck needs paint but, no one knew how to paint cars in the 90's. Chevy's, and Fords are the same. Something to do with regulations and V.O.C.'s or something like that is what an auto painter told me once.

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

it starts and goes every single time. i can haul or pull anything. no matter how much it snows i can drive it.

fix the paint. and whats up with no recall on those trannys?

Tough truck
By Brian

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Interior Room, Power/acceleration, Styling, Solid front axle

Door hinges, Hood Latch (Mine released at 55 mph and ripped the hood off and smashed the windshield) and interior door panels. They aren't fastened very well and when I hit the door the pull handle broke off.

Not quitting any time soon
By Doug

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father gave this to me 5 yrs ago with 170k on it. It now has 226k. Not many repairs probably $2500 since 2005. I'm a big guy 6'5" 350lbs and the reg cab is great. No complaints really. I drive it everyday to work, 75 miles round trip. Shooting for 500k. No car payment $200 a yr for insurance, 22 mpg. 3.9l v6, 5 sp manual.

Dependable, full bench seat. Fuel economy.

Cup holder, more power points.

Another quality Chrysler Product?
By Darrel

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Why do Dodge trucks spend so much time at junk yards? Picking up parts that are unavailable from the manufacturer and taking these parts off relatively low-mile junk-yard carcasses. BTW just because the new trucks have a Hemi emblem doesn't mean it has anything to do with the Hemi of the 60-70's. It ought to say Lemi. So my Dodge, 176k miles currently on second engine and transmission. Actually not bad considering it's a Dodge. I wouldn't be happy with that low of a performance out of a quality automobile like Nissan or Toyota, but it's just a Dodge. So, now that it isn't American anymore why would anyone buy one? I guess the next 12 months will gives the answer to that.

My favorite feature is that the Dodge dealers never have the part I need and they want to charge 4 or 5x the reasonable cost of such a part. This inevitably drives me away and I keep finding better deals online, at junk yards, on eBay, or on Craigslist. Honestly I love this feature.

Nothing, it is interesting to see just how backwards and poorly designed their products become before consumers write them off completely. As for cost cutting measures, I doubt there are any finer examples of cutting corners, skimping on quality, and misleading consumers. Way to go Chrysler!