1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 WS Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram-pickup-1500 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Sort Reviews by

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

Favorite Features

it starts and goes every single time. i can haul or pull anything. no matter how much it snows i can drive it.

Suggested Improvements

fix the paint. and whats up with no recall on those trannys?

Tough truck
By Brian

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Favorite Features

Interior Room, Power/acceleration, Styling, Solid front axle

Suggested Improvements

Door hinges, Hood Latch (Mine released at 55 mph and ripped the hood off and smashed the windshield) and interior door panels. They aren't fastened very well and when I hit the door the pull handle broke off.

Not quitting any time soon
By Doug

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab WS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father gave this to me 5 yrs ago with 170k on it. It now has 226k. Not many repairs probably $2500 since 2005. I'm a big guy 6'5" 350lbs and the reg cab is great. No complaints really. I drive it everyday to work, 75 miles round trip. Shooting for 500k. No car payment $200 a yr for insurance, 22 mpg. 3.9l v6, 5 sp manual.

Favorite Features

Dependable, full bench seat. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder, more power points.

Another quality Chrysler Product?
By Darrel

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Why do Dodge trucks spend so much time at junk yards? Picking up parts that are unavailable from the manufacturer and taking these parts off relatively low-mile junk-yard carcasses. BTW just because the new trucks have a Hemi emblem doesn't mean it has anything to do with the Hemi of the 60-70's. It ought to say Lemi. So my Dodge, 176k miles currently on second engine and transmission. Actually not bad considering it's a Dodge. I wouldn't be happy with that low of a performance out of a quality automobile like Nissan or Toyota, but it's just a Dodge. So, now that it isn't American anymore why would anyone buy one? I guess the next 12 months will gives the answer to that.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that the Dodge dealers never have the part I need and they want to charge 4 or 5x the reasonable cost of such a part. This inevitably drives me away and I keep finding better deals online, at junk yards, on eBay, or on Craigslist. Honestly I love this feature.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, it is interesting to see just how backwards and poorly designed their products become before consumers write them off completely. As for cost cutting measures, I doubt there are any finer examples of cutting corners, skimping on quality, and misleading consumers. Way to go Chrysler!

'96 Ram 4x4
By 1996 Ram

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck 7 months ago and it has been all around a good truck. The power is ample and the 4 wheel drive works great. The ride isn't overly good and neither is the gas mileage, about 400 km for a tank (98L). Automatic transmission sucks. It is poorly designed, shifts very sloppily, and kicks in and out of OD when it feels like it. Reverse is starting to go on it as well. The interior is simple and easy to to read and use the controls, but is very cheap looking although my dash hasn't cracked yet. Cups fall out of cup holders and are in an inconvenient location (blocks radio controls). As far as I can see the styling and engine are about the only thing this truck has going for it.

Favorite Features

The engine, very powerful. The styling, very nice looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

Auto transmission. Cup holders.

1500 Ram 4x4 sport slt laramie
By Bruce Fosdyck

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Overall a pretty good truck. Plenty of power. Nice interior. Too much road noise. Door hinge sag problems. Paint problems. Clear coat peels off. The gas gauge quit working years ago, but its attached to the fuel pump in the tank so to buy it you get both for $450.00 or more. I just fill up and watch the odometer. The cruise control has also broke and no longer works.

Favorite Features

Looks good, plenty of power to tow, fast, good in snow

Suggested Improvements

Different gas guage sending units. Different clear coat paint. Different door hinges. Different cruise control set up

What would Lee Iacoca say?
By Rammed

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Returned it the day after purchase because the security system was installed improperly. Two weeks later it went back in because the transmission failed. A week after that it went back because the vehicle would lunge when cold - supposedly because of modification made by Chrylser to the program on the engine's chip. Anti- lock brakes locked up when stopping. 1,000 miles out of warranty, third gear "disappeared". Chrylser's engineer said the valve was designed to wear out at about that point (I have his testimony on tape) and said it would happen again.

Favorite Features

The end of the lease.

Suggested Improvements

If Chrylser were to go under tomorrow and the world was robbed of this company's shoddy workmanship, planned obsolesence, and arrogance, would we miss them?

Last dance with Dodge
By dodged

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Dodge 1500 with 82000 miles about 3 years ago. Since then I have replaced the rear end, replaced most of the front end, water pump,air conditioner and turn signal master switch and valve job. Where's the quality? I have always tried to buy American trucks but this is the last straw. I will never buy another American made car or truck.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Lower your price! Quit ripping off your customers.

A good work truck with power.
By joel

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

The truck has never left me stranded. I use it to move fire wood, shingles, wood, and rock a lot of times weighing about 1 ton and I really don't notice it. Engine wise it has the power to move anything I need it to.

Favorite Features

4x4. Hard to ever get stuck even when fully loaded with supplies

Suggested Improvements

Could have used a better transmission and a stronger steering box.

Won't buy anything but a Dodge again
By curtis

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Have owned a 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 since it came off the mfr floor. It's sort of like the energizer bunny. 179,000 miles and counting. And I run it hard, haul stuff, get it stuck and pull people out with my winch. I won't sell it because I am emotionally attached.

Favorite Features

It keeps going and going and going

Suggested Improvements

Make a new model of same truck with little better mileage.