1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Been a great truck!
By laxbro on 08/14/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I traded a 1997 Cadillac STS for this truck straight up and have had zero regrets. It has the 318 and it had 200,000 when I got it. Starts up and runs like a champ and has decent power. No tranny issues and it shifts smoothly. I converted it to flex fuel and the fuel system has never been cleaner. Have had no problems with using higher ethanol blends. The only problems I have had are replacing worn out front end parts (ball joints and wheel bearings; previous owner didn't take of it) I have put 30,000 miles on it since I have had it (about 1 year) and I would recommend a Ram to anyone!

Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96 on 04/18/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

Great Truck
By Mako235 on 04/08/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have no idea why so many people put down this truck in past reviews. I bought my truck a little over a year ago and I love it. I have the 5.2L V-8 engine, had 150k when I bought it and has 162k now and still runs great with great power. The truck may not be super fast, but it has a lot of torque, I have done a lot of mudding and only gotten stuck once. The 4 wheel drive is amazing I can run about anything, and I have pulled out many other trucks including ones bigger than me. I have done maintenance for like brakes and stuff. The only real issue was the catalytic converter that when bad. The transmission is slowly going out as it shifts still kinda rough and reverse makes a clunking noise.

It's a beast
By mikeh15301 on 03/25/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I just got this truck and hasn't disappointed yet and the only problem is the transfer case. Its a little problem and an easy fix and the body work hasn't been that hard either other then that it runs great and definitely keep it running as long as it can or until the body falls apart.

5.2 4x4 ram 250k all stock tran/motor
By big dodge on 02/28/10 10:11 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

ok i bought my ram with 160k on it and it has not seen a shop for any major issues but its now lifted 5.5inches by skyjacker sitting on 315/75r16 mud tires and ill tell you what i will buy the same year and style i love this truck in the mud snow everything i just pull a 26ft tandem axle trailer with a backhoe on it gross weight of around 18000lb little upset with the toe power but thats a lot off weight should have never hooked up to that but anyways i just started having hesitation from the reverse and the 3rd gear but its all stock 250k and i am leaving for Florida as is i still trust it and i beat on it bad never had a truck take so much pain some of the things i do make me nerves

Only Buy dodge
By Kripleman on 01/02/10 14:16 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a 5.9L 4x4 SLT.. Owned it for 22 months and put 40k miles 2 missouri winters and 2 cross country road trips in it(Bought with 195k.. current is 234k).. This truck is a CHAMP... I have read tons of reviews and talked to many people who say bad things about it.. Ya MPG is bad.. Ya Cupholder design was a failure... But as far as reliability... I rebuilt rearend(215k) and replaced radiator(227k) and that was about it... it has 33x1250 tires with no other mods.. stk eng. stk trans.. pulls like a champ.. towed a lexus es300 with trailer and bed loaded with no effort whatsoever.. surprising part was MPG wasnt effected as much as i thought... Overpayed for it and horrible MPG but its worth it.

I'd sure buy another one!
By Bernie Kressner on 12/22/09 18:09 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This wonderful truck, with 148,000 miles, 5.2 L, and 5-speed manual has been utterly reliable. It gets decent mileage (16-17 city; 20-21 highway) with the 3.55 differential. Acceleration is a bit slow, but I can cruise all day at 65 mph with only 2,000 RPM on the engine. Engine is so smooth, you can't even tell when its running. This is a "Mobil 1" truck: engine, transmission, and differential all have had Mobil 1 synthetic oils since after the break-in period. I expect to get easily 250,000 miles and 20 years of service.

5.9L V8 Automatic Trans. Extended Cab
By jdl on 08/04/08 23:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has over 200,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild engine and transmission, but well worth it. We were forewarned about automatic dodge ram transmissions anyways, so that was expected. The only real problem has been the fuel pump. That's been replaced twice, but I think it's a quality issue. Be careful about the retailer and quality of your fuel pump. Great for going over curbs, rocks, etc. Fits in places you would NEVER expect! It can be challenging to get into 4WD. It's comfortable on long road trips. The rear seat folds up which gives you more space. It's quite roomy in the back for passengers considering it's a truck!

1996 Ram SLT 4x4
By RamGuy on 02/02/08 19:48 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9L V8. Bought this truck at 113,000 now has 158,00. At 115,000 it needed O2 sensor (easy fix), then oil sender unit (a real pain to replace). Rear end starting making noise about 130,00 miles, bearings, $800. As Preventive Maintenance Precaution(s) (ain't broke yet, but it will be) between 125,000 - 150,000 replaced alternator, starter, water pump & hoses, fuel pump, ignition module. I've had all these completely fail on me with other vehicles tho, so I've learned my lesson. Some rust over the rear wheels, but extreme amounts of salt are used here (Nebraska). Lousy MPG, but the purchase price of this truck beat Chevys & Fords by $3000-5000.

Solid Fun
By psychoman on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Off road and on the road this truck has delivered. I have taken this truck from the rockies to the midwest deserts to the Florida Everglades and Key West. Would not have had it any other way.