Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

the simplisity of the truck, reliability, easy fixes (accessible)

cup holders, rear doors opening

Great Truck
By Mako235

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have no idea why so many people put down this truck in past reviews. I bought my truck a little over a year ago and I love it. I have the 5.2L V-8 engine, had 150k when I bought it and has 162k now and still runs great with great power. The truck may not be super fast, but it has a lot of torque, I have done a lot of mudding and only gotten stuck once. The 4 wheel drive is amazing I can run about anything, and I have pulled out many other trucks including ones bigger than me. I have done maintenance for like brakes and stuff. The only real issue was the catalytic converter that when bad. The transmission is slowly going out as it shifts still kinda rough and reverse makes a clunking noise.

Easy to drive, a lot of torque, and great for off-roading.

Different dash, mine has a bunch of cracks.

Only Buy dodge
By Kripleman

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a 5.9L 4x4 SLT.. Owned it for 22 months and put 40k miles 2 missouri winters and 2 cross country road trips in it(Bought with 195k.. current is 234k).. This truck is a CHAMP... I have read tons of reviews and talked to many people who say bad things about it.. Ya MPG is bad.. Ya Cupholder design was a failure... But as far as reliability... I rebuilt rearend(215k) and replaced radiator(227k) and that was about it... it has 33x1250 tires with no other mods.. stk eng. stk trans.. pulls like a champ.. towed a lexus es300 with trailer and bed loaded with no effort whatsoever.. surprising part was MPG wasnt effected as much as i thought... Overpayed for it and horrible MPG but its worth it.

3.90 rear end with lsd and 5.9l motor.. tows and climbs like no other..

cup holders deffinetly(spilled too many drinks..) computer in 96 ws only year used. was replaced in 97 so chips and programmers are rare... MPG would b nice but for power im not gonna complaign considering price ..

5.9L V8 Automatic Trans. Extended Cab
By jdl

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has over 200,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild engine and transmission, but well worth it. We were forewarned about automatic dodge ram transmissions anyways, so that was expected. The only real problem has been the fuel pump. That's been replaced twice, but I think it's a quality issue. Be careful about the retailer and quality of your fuel pump. Great for going over curbs, rocks, etc. Fits in places you would NEVER expect! It can be challenging to get into 4WD. It's comfortable on long road trips. The rear seat folds up which gives you more space. It's quite roomy in the back for passengers considering it's a truck!

Very comfortable seats. The feeling of safety. Being able to fit 6 people in it. There's plenty of room to work on the engine and not a bunch of jumbled computer stuff or sensors in the way.

Transmission kick down definitely could be better. Stock CD player won't play homemade CDs. Fuel economy-10 or 11 mpg just doesn't cut it!!!

1996 Ram SLT 4x4
By RamGuy

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9L V8. Bought this truck at 113,000 now has 158,00. At 115,000 it needed O2 sensor (easy fix), then oil sender unit (a real pain to replace). Rear end starting making noise about 130,00 miles, bearings, $800. As Preventive Maintenance Precaution(s) (ain't broke yet, but it will be) between 125,000 - 150,000 replaced alternator, starter, water pump & hoses, fuel pump, ignition module. I've had all these completely fail on me with other vehicles tho, so I've learned my lesson. Some rust over the rear wheels, but extreme amounts of salt are used here (Nebraska). Lousy MPG, but the purchase price of this truck beat Chevys & Fords by $3000-5000.

Seats are huge, firm but comfortable. Center console is really handy. Large heater/AC controls. Even the back seat is comfortable for adults. All the advantages of driving a large & tall vehicle, I don't get cut off in traffic much. Handles well for a vehicle this size & weight.

Cupholders. Lousy MPG, that was my only holdback when buying this truck. Better heat when outside temp below 10F. Better/easier access to water pump, distributor, oil sender.