1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96 on 04/18/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

Great Truck
By Mako235 on 04/08/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have no idea why so many people put down this truck in past reviews. I bought my truck a little over a year ago and I love it. I have the 5.2L V-8 engine, had 150k when I bought it and has 162k now and still runs great with great power. The truck may not be super fast, but it has a lot of torque, I have done a lot of mudding and only gotten stuck once. The 4 wheel drive is amazing I can run about anything, and I have pulled out many other trucks including ones bigger than me. I have done maintenance for like brakes and stuff. The only real issue was the catalytic converter that when bad. The transmission is slowly going out as it shifts still kinda rough and reverse makes a clunking noise.

Only Buy dodge
By Kripleman on 01/02/10 14:16 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a 5.9L 4x4 SLT.. Owned it for 22 months and put 40k miles 2 missouri winters and 2 cross country road trips in it(Bought with 195k.. current is 234k).. This truck is a CHAMP... I have read tons of reviews and talked to many people who say bad things about it.. Ya MPG is bad.. Ya Cupholder design was a failure... But as far as reliability... I rebuilt rearend(215k) and replaced radiator(227k) and that was about it... it has 33x1250 tires with no other mods.. stk eng. stk trans.. pulls like a champ.. towed a lexus es300 with trailer and bed loaded with no effort whatsoever.. surprising part was MPG wasnt effected as much as i thought... Overpayed for it and horrible MPG but its worth it.

5.9L V8 Automatic Trans. Extended Cab
By jdl on 08/04/08 23:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has over 200,000 miles on it. Had to rebuild engine and transmission, but well worth it. We were forewarned about automatic dodge ram transmissions anyways, so that was expected. The only real problem has been the fuel pump. That's been replaced twice, but I think it's a quality issue. Be careful about the retailer and quality of your fuel pump. Great for going over curbs, rocks, etc. Fits in places you would NEVER expect! It can be challenging to get into 4WD. It's comfortable on long road trips. The rear seat folds up which gives you more space. It's quite roomy in the back for passengers considering it's a truck!

1996 Ram SLT 4x4
By RamGuy on 02/02/08 19:48 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

5.9L V8. Bought this truck at 113,000 now has 158,00. At 115,000 it needed O2 sensor (easy fix), then oil sender unit (a real pain to replace). Rear end starting making noise about 130,00 miles, bearings, $800. As Preventive Maintenance Precaution(s) (ain't broke yet, but it will be) between 125,000 - 150,000 replaced alternator, starter, water pump & hoses, fuel pump, ignition module. I've had all these completely fail on me with other vehicles tho, so I've learned my lesson. Some rust over the rear wheels, but extreme amounts of salt are used here (Nebraska). Lousy MPG, but the purchase price of this truck beat Chevys & Fords by $3000-5000.

Solid Fun
By psychoman on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Off road and on the road this truck has delivered. I have taken this truck from the rockies to the midwest deserts to the Florida Everglades and Key West. Would not have had it any other way.

I love my truck
By jaoverland on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

overall i love my dodge. I used to be a ford man....not anymore...LOL

Performance truck
By brjr on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been great. Only minor problems with things like pwr seat and 4 wheel drive. 5.9L pulls a 26ft trailer with ease. 4WD gets me in and out of anything I tried. Installed K/N and performance computer plus 3 inch exhaust and got good response out of each. Ride is good but not great, but prefer the solid front axle to anything else. Truck has held up well with regular maintenance and I don't baby it off road. Getting ready to move up to a 2500 with Turbo Diesel.

Great Truck
By MidWest on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I ordered this truck when my company did away with our vehicles in 1995. I got about every option available. I've driven it every day 2.5 years with very few problems. I've driven in all kinds of weather. I often get out in fields in poor conditions to check on gas transmission lines. It has always got me in and out. I do service engine regularly between 3,000 & 3,500 miles. Change transmission oil and filters about every 25,000 miles. I'd rather pay now rather than later and probably service my truck better than most.

Crappyest of the Big '3'
By Joshua Krause on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is crappy. I have driven all three of the trucks produced in america for my work and i would have to say this is the worst. All though it has a 5.9, while the ford has a 5.4 and the chevy a 5.3, it is the least powerful. The ride sucks due to it's solid front axle. The tranny recently went out and now I have no third gear. The new Ram is no prize either. Go buy a Ford if you want a real truck.