Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

The best "cheap old truck" I ever bought!!
By Dave

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is compared to other old beater trucks I have bought for under $2000. I bought this truck 3 years ago with 142K on it for $1700. I put a $400 set of tires and $40 set of rear shocks on it the first week I had it. I replaced a $120 alternator a year ago and have changed the oil religiously using only Mobil 1 high mileage since I got it. It had a broken cruise control that was just a vacuum hose off. It needs u-joints in the drive shaft now-$20, 2 hrs. A window switch went bad after I left the window down in the rain...$5 at u-pull junkyard and 1 hr. 168K miles on the truck now.
Not a bad list for an old beater truck in 3 years of daily use.
Get the SLT Laramie package!! This truck has the most comfortable interior out of all the trucks I have ever spent any time in. The 40/20/40 split bench cloth reclining seats are very comfortable for big people. I'm 6'2" and don't have to slide the seat all the way back, nice for a regular cab truck. The moveable cargo tray system behind the seat is very useful. The Chrysler Infinity sound system is amazing! The head unit in my truck is aftermarket, but all the Infinity speakers are still installed and sound great. The sound deadening is good for a truck.

The Bad: The clearcoat has baked off long ago and the truck needs paint but, no one knew how to paint cars in the 90's. Chevy's, and Fords are the same. Something to do with regulations and V.O.C.'s or something like that is what an auto painter told me once.

Been a great truck!
By laxbro

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I traded a 1997 Cadillac STS for this truck straight up and have had zero regrets. It has the 318 and it had 200,000 when I got it. Starts up and runs like a champ and has decent power. No tranny issues and it shifts smoothly. I converted it to flex fuel and the fuel system has never been cleaner. Have had no problems with using higher ethanol blends. The only problems I have had are replacing worn out front end parts (ball joints and wheel bearings; previous owner didn't take of it) I have put 30,000 miles on it since I have had it (about 1 year) and I would recommend a Ram to anyone!

Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

the simplisity of the truck, reliability, easy fixes (accessible)

cup holders, rear doors opening

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

it starts and goes every single time. i can haul or pull anything. no matter how much it snows i can drive it.

fix the paint. and whats up with no recall on those trannys?

Tough truck
By Brian

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Interior Room, Power/acceleration, Styling, Solid front axle

Door hinges, Hood Latch (Mine released at 55 mph and ripped the hood off and smashed the windshield) and interior door panels. They aren't fastened very well and when I hit the door the pull handle broke off.