1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Been a great truck!
By laxbro on 08/14/13 15:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I traded a 1997 Cadillac STS for this truck straight up and have had zero regrets. It has the 318 and it had 200,000 when I got it. Starts up and runs like a champ and has decent power. No tranny issues and it shifts smoothly. I converted it to flex fuel and the fuel system has never been cleaner. Have had no problems with using higher ethanol blends. The only problems I have had are replacing worn out front end parts (ball joints and wheel bearings; previous owner didn't take of it) I have put 30,000 miles on it since I have had it (about 1 year) and I would recommend a Ram to anyone!

Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96 on 04/18/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo on 08/26/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

Tough truck
By Brian on 08/24/10 12:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Great Truck
By Mako235 on 04/08/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have no idea why so many people put down this truck in past reviews. I bought my truck a little over a year ago and I love it. I have the 5.2L V-8 engine, had 150k when I bought it and has 162k now and still runs great with great power. The truck may not be super fast, but it has a lot of torque, I have done a lot of mudding and only gotten stuck once. The 4 wheel drive is amazing I can run about anything, and I have pulled out many other trucks including ones bigger than me. I have done maintenance for like brakes and stuff. The only real issue was the catalytic converter that when bad. The transmission is slowly going out as it shifts still kinda rough and reverse makes a clunking noise.

It's a beast
By mikeh15301 on 03/25/10 17:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I just got this truck and hasn't disappointed yet and the only problem is the transfer case. Its a little problem and an easy fix and the body work hasn't been that hard either other then that it runs great and definitely keep it running as long as it can or until the body falls apart.

5.2 4x4 ram 250k all stock tran/motor
By big dodge on 02/28/10 10:11 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

ok i bought my ram with 160k on it and it has not seen a shop for any major issues but its now lifted 5.5inches by skyjacker sitting on 315/75r16 mud tires and ill tell you what i will buy the same year and style i love this truck in the mud snow everything i just pull a 26ft tandem axle trailer with a backhoe on it gross weight of around 18000lb little upset with the toe power but thats a lot off weight should have never hooked up to that but anyways i just started having hesitation from the reverse and the 3rd gear but its all stock 250k and i am leaving for Florida as is i still trust it and i beat on it bad never had a truck take so much pain some of the things i do make me nerves

Only Buy dodge
By Kripleman on 01/02/10 14:16 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a 5.9L 4x4 SLT.. Owned it for 22 months and put 40k miles 2 missouri winters and 2 cross country road trips in it(Bought with 195k.. current is 234k).. This truck is a CHAMP... I have read tons of reviews and talked to many people who say bad things about it.. Ya MPG is bad.. Ya Cupholder design was a failure... But as far as reliability... I rebuilt rearend(215k) and replaced radiator(227k) and that was about it... it has 33x1250 tires with no other mods.. stk eng. stk trans.. pulls like a champ.. towed a lexus es300 with trailer and bed loaded with no effort whatsoever.. surprising part was MPG wasnt effected as much as i thought... Overpayed for it and horrible MPG but its worth it.

I'd sure buy another one!
By Bernie Kressner on 12/22/09 18:09 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This wonderful truck, with 148,000 miles, 5.2 L, and 5-speed manual has been utterly reliable. It gets decent mileage (16-17 city; 20-21 highway) with the 3.55 differential. Acceleration is a bit slow, but I can cruise all day at 65 mph with only 2,000 RPM on the engine. Engine is so smooth, you can't even tell when its running. This is a "Mobil 1" truck: engine, transmission, and differential all have had Mobil 1 synthetic oils since after the break-in period. I expect to get easily 250,000 miles and 20 years of service.

Not quitting any time soon
By Doug on 02/06/09 15:42 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 WS 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father gave this to me 5 yrs ago with 170k on it. It now has 226k. Not many repairs probably $2500 since 2005. I'm a big guy 6'5" 350lbs and the reg cab is great. No complaints really. I drive it everyday to work, 75 miles round trip. Shooting for 500k. No car payment $200 a yr for insurance, 22 mpg. 3.9l v6, 5 sp manual.

1 2 3 4 5 next »