Used 1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Been a great truck!
By laxbro

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I traded a 1997 Cadillac STS for this truck straight up and have had zero regrets. It has the 318 and it had 200,000 when I got it. Starts up and runs like a champ and has decent power. No tranny issues and it shifts smoothly. I converted it to flex fuel and the fuel system has never been cleaner. Have had no problems with using higher ethanol blends. The only problems I have had are replacing worn out front end parts (ball joints and wheel bearings; previous owner didn't take of it) I have put 30,000 miles on it since I have had it (about 1 year) and I would recommend a Ram to anyone!

Will have this truck until the day I die
By zmillerdodge96

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This past september my grandfather gave me his trusty old dodge, since the day i was born i have done nothing but love that truck... literally i was brought home from the hospital in it so it is very sentimental to me. It was always treated like a grandfather truck and had 125,000 when it was given to me and my grandfather took very good care of it. never towed anything huge but would trust it carrying a house. when i inherited it i put $700 in it to take care of every little thing he had neglected over the years, but in all the truck hasn't given me any surprises beside the water pump going, but a sunny afternoon with my grandfather and that fixed that problem. I will always have a dodge!

Favorite Features

the simplisity of the truck, reliability, easy fixes (accessible)

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, rear doors opening

I will have this truck FOREVER
By captcdo

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Other than the starter I replaced at almost 113,000 miles and the re-man transmission @ 60,000, I've replaced only the wiper motor and usual wear and tear items. I've had 2 after market mufflers rot out and three tail pipes because I don't drive it enough. I bought this truck new, and took very good care of it waxing it all the time, but the paint is still faded out and flaking off, yea, it eats front brakes and I'm on my second set of you joints on the front axle

Favorite Features

it starts and goes every single time. i can haul or pull anything. no matter how much it snows i can drive it.

Suggested Improvements

fix the paint. and whats up with no recall on those trannys?

Tough truck
By Brian

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have 208k+ miles on my truck.It has the 318 automatic. It has had NO Trans. or engine work done on it. I put a fuel pump in it at 190K and routine oil changes, brakes, tires, etc. Trans started to slip at times around 195K. TONS of interior room. Since it has a solid front axle it kinda rides like a brick but I've been in much worse. I use my truck a lot for HEAVY hauling (8000 lbs). I do not wheel my truck but it does see its fair share of dirt and rough roads. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where we have harsh winters. No rust on the box but the rockers are getting a bit rusty. This is an extremely well built and tough truck. Best 4x4 I have ever owned or driven

Favorite Features

Interior Room, Power/acceleration, Styling, Solid front axle

Suggested Improvements

Door hinges, Hood Latch (Mine released at 55 mph and ripped the hood off and smashed the windshield) and interior door panels. They aren't fastened very well and when I hit the door the pull handle broke off.

Great Truck
By Mako235

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have no idea why so many people put down this truck in past reviews. I bought my truck a little over a year ago and I love it. I have the 5.2L V-8 engine, had 150k when I bought it and has 162k now and still runs great with great power. The truck may not be super fast, but it has a lot of torque, I have done a lot of mudding and only gotten stuck once. The 4 wheel drive is amazing I can run about anything, and I have pulled out many other trucks including ones bigger than me. I have done maintenance for like brakes and stuff. The only real issue was the catalytic converter that when bad. The transmission is slowly going out as it shifts still kinda rough and reverse makes a clunking noise.

Favorite Features

Easy to drive, a lot of torque, and great for off-roading.

Suggested Improvements

Different dash, mine has a bunch of cracks.