Used 1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

LE 5.9L 6-cyl. Turbodiesel 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Bomb Proof
By Gib

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel LE 2dr Extended Cab LB

I love this truck. It's a beast to drive with a 5-speed stick, but I won't own an automatic anymore. The Cummins 5.9 is an awesome engine that just goes and goes and goes. Although this '93 has a lot less horsepower than the newer ones, it's got lots of torque and gets good mileage. I have a 2000 pound camper on the truck all the time and regularly get 17+ mpg, but have gotten as low as 13.5 driving switchbacks. It starts every time, gives me zero trouble, has enough power to get me and my camper up the hills with ease, has a good stereo system (stock), great a/c, and has been 100% reliable for the two years I've owned it. It's got 145k miles and I expect it to go many, many more.

Without a doubt, my favorite feature is the cruise control. Well, if you call the diesel engine a feature, I guess that's actually my favorite. No more gas trucks for me.

The only suggested improvement I have has already been done on the newer models. They made it prettier. The '93 was the last year of the old style body, and I admit the newer ones are better looking. I do prefer my lower body style though - I can clean the windshield without a ladder.

Should a kept it
By Hixter

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel LE 2dr Extended Cab LB

My 93 was bought used from a friend. Couldn't keep it stock though... Low miles (35,000) when I bought it.. 6 inches of lift 37's on weld typhoons. Turbo swap, injector pump modified, 60 horse injectors, 4 inch exhaust, intake and intercooler swap. 350 hp. And 800 ft. Lbs of tq. 4.56 gears. Bought a new truck in 03. New one is nice but I miss the old one. Leaf spring front ends go so much better in the deep snow. 1 hand on the wheel anytime. The new truck is a handful in the same conditions. And eats up the tires too. It has more power than the old one and thats about it. I drove that 12 valve to 158,000 miles no problems ever. Even being modified.

Bumpy ride. keeps you awake.

Better paint, better brakes, electronic fuel pump, different turbo.

Couldn't ask for more
By Manhood Vehicle

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel LE 2dr Extended Cab LB

Got it used as a cheap temporary hauler in the cheap section of the paper. Let's face it, it has zero sex appeal. I knew Cummins meant something, but boy did I hit the jackpot. Hauls effortlessly. What a pleasure. When I'm not hauling I take the family on the road where it gets 21mpg. It is a ridiculously good truck. I know somewhere there is someone kicking themselves for having sold it. When I get the new car smell urge I try to remember that. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned.. As long as I don't become a vain little pansy, this will be my ride.

Trucks were cool when you didn't need a ladder to throw something in the bed. Best feature is the 6 cylinder engine with gobs of torque. Sips gas for a 3/4 ton & more affordable engine to have worked on than an 8 cylinder.

Well, It is an old dated truck. You have to get into the zone and embrace that. If you refurbish and add some gadgets it is a better truck than anything new.

Peterbuilt pick-up
By peterbuilt

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel LE 2dr Extended Cab LB

We bought this truck new off the lot and haven't had a problem yet. With 418,000 plus miles, it has not failed pulling more than our other trucks. With a sold frame and rear end, this is a heavy duty truck.

Lock out hubs

None

kkmarkel
By markel

1993 Dodge RAM 250 Diesel LE 2dr Extended Cab LB

Has been good. No problems other than weather related to paint on top of hood after 6 years in San Francisco Bay area. Cover of cab stroage box should be stiffer so can sit on or use to crawl over.