1992 Dodge RAM 250 Consumer Review: mixed review of Cummins Turbo

1992 Dodge RAM 250 - Consumer Review

mixed review of Cummins Turbo model
By dodger1209 on

1992 Dodge RAM 250 LE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I was with my dad when he bought this truck new in 1992 and 5 years and 105,000 miles later I bought it from him. He put 105K on pulling a big fifth wheel all over the country and went through 3 transmissions before finally getting one that stuck. The cummins TD is a gem and will never fail. Ever. And the truck will pull anything and gets fantastic mileage with and without a load. But I have had a ton of problems underneath with U- joints, wheel bearings and seals, and the rear differential. I poured thousands into this truck repeatedly and finally decided I would stop and just "drive it til it blows". Problem is that it won't.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, power, actually a good looking ruck for the year, and the big extended cab without a bench seat so I actually have room for gear inside.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is a pig offroad without specialized tires (the big heavy diesel upfront weighs it down) and you must be in 4WD to handle snow and ice. The transmission and other running gear is prone to fail and very expensive to fix.