Used 2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV - Consumer Reviews

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

The little engine that could..tow a house
By Dan989

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Heat 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got my wife a 2011 nitro heat 3.7 with 55k miles about a year ago because we needed a little more room but didn't want to break the bank. She likes the smaller suv's and I've always liked the Tonka truck look of the nitro. My experience with dodge so far has been very good so decided to stick with it. The nitro is an old fashioned old school suv that feels like a truck, drives like a truck, and is tough like a truck. There's nothing fancy about this rig but it has it where it counts. We take it all over and have put on 20k miles in year without a single issue. What did surprise me was what the nitro could actually do.

We're big out doors people and own a 4k+ pound 21+ ft travel trailer we take out a few times a year that we thought we were going to have to park for a while since I no longer have a truck to pull it with. Unbeknownst to me was the heavy duty 5 link suspension, heavy duty chasis, transmission cooler and 5k pound towing capacity of the nitro. Once I discovered that I quickly installed a hitch and brake controller ,due to our nitro not being equipped with the tow package, and we were ready for action.

Well we recently took a week long trip where we towed our trailer from az to camp on beach in San diego and the nitro preformed flawlessly never even heating up anywhere, mountains include, along the way.

We were looking for a small/mid affordable suv with unique looks and got a helluva lot more than we bargained for. It's not the suv for everyone as it has a stiff ride and modest mpg at best, but if you're looking for something that takes you back to the pick up truck feel of a few years ago, has unique styling and can tow mountains above its useless crossover counterparts, than the nitro might just be what you've been looking for.

I liked my Nitro a lot ... LIKED it a lot
By northcoast19

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Heat 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7 4x4 in January of 2011, and traded it in for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk in March of 2014. Over that time, I put $65,000 miles on the Nitro as I drove it extensively for work. I never had a single problem with the vehicle and never had it in the shop other than routine maintenance.

The Nitro was a cool SUV, but it was from a past decade. It just felt like a vehicle designed in the 90's that they had stored away and rolled out in the 2000's. The shifting was horrendously rough to the point where it felt like I ran something over when it would shift during acceleration. There was no 4 wheel low, and the 20" rims on a 4x4 SUV was a joke.

The Nitro has good looks, a great upright, high driving position, and is easy to see out of. For a clunky SUV it handled pretty good in tight spaces and had decent pickup on the highway.

Since they no longer make this vehicle, I cannot suggest improvements. If you're buying one used, look for the 4.0L engine as I understand it is more reliable than the 3.7. Also, try finding one with smaller rims. The original Goodyear Wrangler HP's where awful in wet conditions and snow. When I upgraded to Pirelli Scorpions, it was like a completely new vehicle (in a good way). I was, however, limited in tire choices due to the odd size wheels. You cannot go bigger as they won't fit in the wheel wells, so you're pretty much stuck with low profile street tires on a 4x4 SUV - makes zero sense. What also makes zero sense is no 4 wheel low, but what can you do ... still a fun little SUV.

not as happy as others seem to be
By soonerfanfl

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Heat 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Nitro late in the year (Nov).
Enjoyed the ride and handling.
Reminded me of my 2000 Pathfinder that I miss tremendously.
I put over 200k miles on that car in 7 years and never had any issues at all.
So far with the Nitro I have 43k in 16 months (I drive 30k a year) and the check engine light comes on occassionally.
Not sure why.
A/C blower went out right at 36,500 when the warranty ran out.
Fortunately the dealership I bought it at fixed it w/o question.
At 14k the head gasket blew and was leaking oil like a faucet.
Still under warranty the dealership fixed it.
I'm still undecided whether I like the car or not.
Of course, the engine light is on again.

the ride, the handling. The seats are fairly comfortable. I like the looks.

There needs to be an air vent for the back seat. You have to turn the a/c on high and the people in the front seat freeze while the passangers in the back are sweating. Changing the spark plugs is not an easy task. I like doing some of the minor maintenance, but the plugs are covered with a plastic piece that has to be unscrewed to access the plugs. I'm sure that was designed to make a trip to the shop more desireable than doing it yourself. Could have added an additional power outlet for the rear passangers.

NITRO LOVE AFFAIR
By slownomore

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Heat 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

we have been with the nitro since our new 2008 sxt that we recently lost in a house fire.This was my wifes baby. I didnt think we could find a replacement and after looking at other suvs nothing filled the void like a 2011 nitro heat.we love the vehicle.When I get the chance to drive it I enjoy the way it handles and rides.For us the 3.7 has plenty of power.And living in MN the 4wd is awesome in the winter.My wife loves to shop so the cargo space is great.With the rebates and incentives dodge was offering in november we got into the nitro under 20,000. A great deal for a 4wd suv

The one of a kind exterior.the 4wd and the 20 inch tires.The ride comfort is nice.And the new mineral grey color

gas milage and softer interior

Best SUV For the Buck!
By motownrocker

2011 Dodge Nitro SUV Shock 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This review is for my 2011 Nitro Heat 4.0 (a model that wasn't listed in your roll-down).
The Heat version is Chrysler's former "SXT" trim:
decent exterior trim but inexpensive (cloth) interior seating.
At model year's end, it was tough to locate a Heat with the rare 4.0 engine option (same engine that the old RT's had).
Apparently that's a little-known option on the Heats--even the salesperson was unaware of it.
You HAVE to get the 4.0 engine if you want great performance and gas mileage (better than the std. 3.7).
I just completed a 300 mile trip (with 400 miles on the odometer) and got over 22mpg at an avg 75mph.
The engine's quick off the line, the build quality is great, etc.

Great performance for an SUV Excellent gas mileage (for an SUV) Great seating and visibility Excellent build quality

More cupholders! Move the cruise control area Put a compass in the speedo area! Power driver seat should be STANDARD! Have same-color rocker panels and roof trim--not that flat black stuff!