Used 2010 Dodge Nitro SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Dodge Nitro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

It's a Truck, not a Minivan!
By vlad_jv

2010 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Test drove a few before considering the 2010 SXT 4x4. Some of which included the Mazda CX7, and the 2008 Acadia. Mazda handled like a sedan, and the Acadia like a minivan (a little more fun). The Nitro handles like a truck! It's built on the RAM chassis, so don't expect anything less. Fuel economy is not impressive, but still within average for a 3.6L. The 2008 Mazda Tribute 3.0L was getting a little better but not too much. Overall, it handles like the truck but has the comfort of a large SUV. It's flexibility of offering exterior raw power with interior comfort makes it perfect option for looking to have 2 cars in 1. My commute includes 100km hwy and 100km city daily to work/home

Favorite Features

1. Dashboard is small giving you a lot of leg room, and not making you feel enclosed in a box. 2.Towing option (I don't think it's available on all trims, but mine has it) 3. Amazing head room both in front and back 4. Put the back seats down, and you have a covered pickup truck for those Ikea/Home Depot trips 5. Passenger seats folds to turn itself into a nice side table 6. Interior lighting is very good without blinding anyone 7. Storage compartment under the trunk 8. Deep in-between front seat compartment with tray 9. Hard-Drive in console enables photos, videos, and movies to be saved via common USB flash drive

Suggested Improvements

1. Glove compartment is a little small 2. Install the option of getting into the car without having the interior lights turning on (maybe it does exist and I haven't figured it out yet) 3. A truck this size should have a full-size spare wheel, not the half-size one 4. Continue to build these Nitro's; the Journey is a flop... look how easy is to find a used one!

2010 Nitro
By mcmann18

2010 Dodge Nitro SUV Shock 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is my second nitro. First one pure stock nothing special. reason i had to get a second one wife was in a head on colison totaled the car and not her fault she was told if it had been another type vichel she would have been dead. vehicle has been up to 115 mph only thing when wet it spins weels, I have just about every extra you would want on a vehicle amd tywice it has had a tire temp light come on and said i had tire presure at 9 pounds alittle scare at 85 mph great vehicle guess the dont make them any more so will keep mine

Favorite Features

electric start buttons for radio on stearing wheel u connect seris radio

Suggested Improvements

work on spinning wheels when wet weather

A great truck for the right person.
By 313speed

2010 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This isn't a truck for everyone. I bought it because it fit several key needs. First off, the size was exactly what I wanted. I had some of the SUVs Edmunds compared this one to and found them to be too small. I didn't want larger than this. It had the best sticker price of anything at this size, and it could tow the most, which I needed in order to bring my Mustang to the track. The other reason I wanted it was the fact it was so bare bones... I knew that I could modify it the way I wanted. It's a Jeep in better clothing. I take the Nitro out to the Arizona trails here and see tons of Jeeps, but I've never once seen a lifted Nitro like mine out there.

Favorite Features

The truck is fairly well built with just enough options out there to personalize it. I tossed the 20" rims after having to many issues with blown tires on the trails. I picked up a 2" lift kit and a few other Jeep Liberty parts fairly cheap. I added 17" rims with some BFG off road tires. A set if KC lights out front and a roof rack for all our camping gear rounds out the package. We've gone with an all black theme which really grabs more attention beyond the already stylish body design. We have put on over 23k miles, and have had no mechanical issues to report. Without the tire upgrade, we still managed to blow through snow storms with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, some people would want a higher end interior. Of course, if you're going to abuse the truck like a Jeep, you really wouldn't want to be messing up an expensive interior. I would have put the Jeep Liberty 4X4 system rather then the Dodge system, as the Dodge setup is really more for poor weather. The 20" rims are great for people trying to have a street truck look, but they just don't have enough sidewall to make them usefull off road.

It just keeps getting worse!
By plspikes

2010 Dodge Nitro SUV SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved it at first, but it just continues to mess up over and over and over. The first month, it just died. Had it towed, the dealer said it was an ignition problem and fixed it. Then a few months later, everything started going on - I'd be driving down the road and the horn would start blaring full blast or the winshield wipers would come on full blast or the radio would crank itself all the way up. I had to pull over and turn the car off to make it stop. Dealer said it was some kind of 'computer' thing and fixed it. This week my emission light came on, so today I couldn't get it inspected. Have to take it in again tomorrow. Seriously? Its a freakin' brand new car!

Favorite Features

Other than all of the on-going electrical and computer issues, I like it. Just wish it ran better more often. But it does look good sitting in my drive way!

It dodges everything but the gas station
By mazagod

2010 Dodge Nitro SUV Heat 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving this vehicle for about three months and I am not happy about it. I am a tall guy, and I hit my head every time I get into the car. There are huge blind spots, and if someone is sitting next to you in the front passenger seat, it is very hard to see out the window. The engine is not powerful at all, but it does guzzle the gas. Sometimes I put the gas pedal down, and the car actually seems to slow down. There is no storage in the car at all. Don't even get me started on how bad the gas milage is, SUV or not. I would not buy this car again.

Favorite Features

ummm....

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas milage...I wouldn't mind having low milage, if the SUV actually had power. Improve storage. Improve engine performance. Improve visibility....improve just about everything. Look at every other SUV in this class before you buy this one....