2008 Dodge Nitro SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Nitro - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nitro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

Sort Reviews by

What's up with the E brake??
By Flaming Mona

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have over 10K miles on my Nitro. It has been into service twice because parking brake doesn't hold. Returned to me without fix, service tech said it is "self adjusting" and would self adjust if I came to full stop when in reverse and before shifting into drive. Have been doing this but no resolution to problem. Also, when reversing from parked mode it will freeze not reverse until I punch the gas pedal (safe, eh?). Service tech said because brake pads (disks?) stick together when I apply parking brake after driving due to hot metal and told me not to use the parking brake if I don't like the phenomenon. WHAT! Owner's manual says to always use parking brake! Final note: gas mileage sucks.

Favorite Features

Body appearance, handling. Great acceleration when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Improve MPG, get rid of well in back cargo space and put a thicker "carpet" back there, it is hard like the bed of a pick up truck.

Think Gas First
By Queen

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

The dodge Nitro is my first car, the exterior is awesome. I would like more of a luxury feel on the inside something like the "Ford Edge", but for the price... This is a nice SUV, but it is very terrible on gas. This baby runs me about $60-$65.00 a week "light travel". DO NOT let the gas tank get below half full, you're going to have to shell out so much money to fill her up. Gas prices are steadily rising and I would NOT suggest anyone get this car unless you can really afford $350- $400 a month on gas. Its not ideal for a college student or anyone on a budget.

Favorite Features

The exterior is very attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Add a more smooth touch to the interior. More front passenger and driver oriented, it lacks ooh ahh appeal.

disappointed
By andrea

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've only had my truck for 3 months and at first was very excited and loved my truck until the transmission started to give out a brand new vehicle took back to dealer been without my truck for 3 wks only to find out now that the parts that is needed to repair it is on Nationwide back order what's up with that!

Poor mileage
By WWALKER

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

You can actually see the fuel gauge move in this vehicle. I have owned vehicles in most all styles & from all different car companies over the past 40+ years. Up until I got this nitro with the 3.7 v-6, I have always loved Chrysler products. I was even a loyal Chrysler man back in the 1970's/ when "build quality" was just a word in the dictionary at Chrysler. Overall I am unhappy w/ this vehicle. I should have gotten the hemi, as it could not drink any more gas than this 3.7 does. This vehicle get the worse fuel economy of any of any vehicle that I have ever owned or driven. The 3.7 is also low on power, if you intend to make a pass, you better plan ahead & allow lots of room.

Favorite Features

Has a great sound system - looks good -

Suggested Improvements

Footwells are small. Seats are hard & uncomfortable. You can see the cheapness in the components used to put this vehicle together. Is not the carpet supposed to fit? also there is no lockable compartment inside the vehicle.

Good for the money
By Piyux

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I got this vehicle as a rental for a couple of weeks, it was practically new with only 2000 miles and I had a good chance to evaluate its features so here is my opinion to be shared with you, potential Nitro buyer. EXTERIOR: Good looking mid-size SUV. Its external design is appealing and it has the look of a tough all terrain SUV able to handle anything, I have to admit that from any angle it looks good and tall. INTERIOR: Well distributed space, not high quality finishing but OK. I'm 6'2" and I had no space problems, leg room was OK for driver and passengers. I feature I loved is that you can fold down all the seats creating a large cargo space for what you may need. They tried to max

Favorite Features

Exterior looking Seats fold flat

Suggested Improvements

Suspension Acceleration Gas mileage

A car with character and style
By GB

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This thing is 70 percent a Jeep. It feels and handles like a Jeep, with all these truck-like, rugged characteristics. If you want a SUV that handles like a Porsche, this is definitely not your car. But it handles quite well and predictably. I feel very safe in this car, riding in this solid box of steel "above" the normal traffic. There is plenty of passenger room (esp. legroom for second row passengers) and a lot (!) of cargo space with the seats folded down. It tows heavy loads with ease. The 4 wheel drive is very simple (can only be used on slippery surfaces and with low speed)but works extremely well in heavy snow or muddy roads. The interior practical, not fancy.

Favorite Features

The looks, this is a head-turner! The rugged, solid feel. The cargo space for all my gear. The LoadnGo feature for heavy items. The Bluetooth cell phone device (U-Connect).

Suggested Improvements

The 4 speed transmission is not as good the the 5 speed transmission on the Nitro R/T. Also the suspension in the R/T is firmer, the handling better. I wish all Nitros would get the 5 speed and the firmer suspension. I had the underbody coated against corrosion. A missing feature in cold climate.

Lovin The Nitro
By Yolanda H

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Nitro in December. I went from the GMC Envoy to the Nitro and I'm loving the Nitro. Road handling is great and the interior is very comfortable, I love the two-tone color of the seats, I wish there was a vortex engine to give the Nitro more power. I haven't put mine on the road yet, but I can't wait to take my first out of town trip.

Favorite Features

The seats are really comfortable and I love the dark color of the interior, the cup holders are very sturdy, which prevents back seat spills from the kiddies.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little basic, so some interior upgrades would really be nice.

Great in the snow!
By Don

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We moved to very snowy southwest Colorado and realized we needed a SUV that was comfortable and rugged. After test driving the Ford Escape, Jeep Libery and Kia Sportage we drove the 2008 Dodge Nitro. The Nitro had the best look, most cabin room and best ride of everything we tested. Since our purchase we've had 3 major snow storms and the Nitro has been absolutly awesome getting through the deep snow. We've also taken the Nitro on a couple of long road trips and the ride is smooth and comfortable and I love the sound of the engine when you put the pedal to the metal.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design, handling, large cabin, great sound system and powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, cargo cover and more room for the drivers legs.

Love this Nitro
By Keith

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've only had mine four days but I'm in love with this vehicle. Initially was looking at other comparable SUV's and didn't even consider the Nitro until I saw one and then that's all I wanted. I have the inferno red and it's loaded with everything from the sunroof to the 20" chrome wheels and better suspension which are an option on the SLT. I love the very dark tinted windows in the back half. It's been a head turner so far and think I made a very good choice. Can't comment on gas as I'm still on my first tank but it drives great and has decent power. Outstanding price for what you get.

Favorite Features

Looks, 20" chrome wheels, very dark tinted windows, Sirius radio w/MP3 plug, slide out cargo floor and the 110 volt AC plug on the back of the center console so your not limited to the cigarette lighter type plugs and can use anything electrical in it.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't found anything I don't like about it yet. It could use a little beefier looking floor mats given the appearance of the SUV. This is a mean looking car and I bought better rubber floor mats that look similar to tire treads to go over the carpeted ones.

Love to be different
By christos

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is an absolutely fantastic car! It is going to be a classic. I do not care what experts say it is a best value for money purchase in its class. If you do not want an egg for your car, if you want your car to be spacious, big enough for a five persons family but not too big, and quite adequate in every aspect, this is the car you should be looking for.

Favorite Features

Looks inside out, cabin space, power, visibility, handling, price

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG