Used 2008 Dodge Nitro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Nitro - Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Nitro

View reviews for a specific Nitro model:

Biggest mistake I've ever made!
By NoMoreDodge

2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

We bought the R/T model with every option that you can get in one, except it didnt have a security system in it which makes no sense. From pretty much day one we have had nothing but problems with it. The A/C didnt work properly the first 4 months we owned it, Check engine light has come on numerous times, took it in they say nothing is wrong, passenger seat squeaks, parking brake dont work at all, rear windshield wiper breaks going through the car wash, now with only 26,500 miles on it the main computer (PCM) has to be replaced. Been in the shop for a week and part is still not in! Would recommend never buying one of these!

Favorite Features

Sound system, Nav, my gig hard drive, and rear house plug-in.

Suggested Improvements

Destroy them all! They are unsafe to be driving on the streets. Also recommended that you do not tow ANYTHING because the check engine light will come on and it will run extremely rough even after the trailer is taken off!

In Love with a SUV!!
By samijay

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

So I've had this for about 2 weeks and am in love with it. I love the design and about everything in it as well. Anyways I don't have to worry about the small car hazards anymore. The roll-over factor of this suv is high and the gas mileage isn't great but those are the only two things I can find I don't like about it!

Favorite Features

Design. Sound system (AWESOME). Overall Feel. Aggressive looking. EVERYTHING!

Suggested Improvements

Mine didn't have cruise control so i'm having to install it (no idea why it didn't have it but...). gas mileage good be better. other than that. nothing bad.

I Love my Nitro!
By PLC

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I drive, a lot! I spend about an hour a day if not more in my car so I really wanted something I could rely on and like. I LOVE my nitro!! It's super cute and just what I needed. I chose between this, the Pontiac G6, and the Ford Mustang. Yeah, a wide variety. I got this because of all the room!! I can take my 2 Labs everywhere with me and they ride comfortably. There are a couple things I would change but for the most part I absolutely LOVE it! It hasn't given me any problems yet (knock on wood) and I've put almost 17K miles on it in 7 months! If you get one, give in and get the sound system. I didn't and wish I would have!

Favorite Features

The plug-in behing the center consol, fold down seats, the steering wheel controls, the 20" wheels, TPI alert.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic lights, I wish I would have gotten the sound system, and the heat/air controls could be a little higher. Other than that, it's great! And that's really nothing to complain about.

I have the RT version 4X4 4litre engine
By fast_dude007

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After reading a lot of negative reviews from auto journalists about the Nitro, and reading positive comments from owners, I bought a 2008 RT for a very good price. Yes, the ride is a little bit choppy in the RT version, but I do like a firm suspension. I also love the interior of the RT, look and feels so much more superior than the base models. Fuel economy is okay so long I'm easy with my foot. However, my gas mileage is horrible when I step on it and release all its power. I'm not too crazy about the square look of the vehicle, than again it has a lot of room inside. Bottom line, I love this vehicle so far.

Favorite Features

Large wheels, sunroof, nav system, 4 liter engine has lot of power, 5 speed automatic, great seats,

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, looks too square,

Great Mid Sized SUV
By GDC55

2008 Dodge Nitro SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After I test drove one my wife & I were hooked. Gas mileage overall. average 22 mpg and highway 25, pretty good for a 4,000 lb. + vehicle. Drove a Ford Escape & Exolorer, didn't like the Escape and the Explorer was $10,000 more.

Favorite Features

Bold styling, great performance and lot's of interior space and cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger side power seat and duct work from heater to rear seats.