2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Purchased for highway driving.
By Sean on 03/31/07 12:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I commute to work, 40 miles each way, so a car advertising high gas mileage and low pricing was key. I bought the car in October '06 when the weather was changing. It made it through the winter no problem; starts promptly, never overheats but I have noticed a few things about the car: Gas mileage advertised is for 60mph. Anything over that, kiss the 32mpg highway goodbye. Engine idles at 6k rpm when stopped, which causes a slight vibration in the cabin. Coolant gauge's normal range varies between top end of cold and first quarter line. Brakes squeak. A lot. Don't be fooled though, they work extremely well! Dodge transmission, expect problems! Already rough at 41.5k.

Fastest FWD Car Ever Made.
By RTShadow on 02/16/07 02:12 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a commemorative edition version, one of the last made. I had wanted this car for some time. I like Dodges, and when they came out with this car it was exciting. If you want a quiet car, a super luxurious cushy car, look elsewhere. If you want throw you back into your seat and scream down the road at astonishing speeds with a throaty exhaust, this is the car for you. This is the fastest FWD car ever built, and at the time, fastest new car you could buy under 25k. I highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a run reliable quick car. You'll find most people with problems have them from doing poor modification jobs.

2005 SRT-4 w/ ACR Package
By Brad on 01/26/07 19:42 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is not for everybody. It's loud and frisky. Kids crowd around you when you park it. It's lousy in snow, and rides like an old Jeep. It's not refined. Understanding what this vehicle is not is vitally important. The scarce ACR package makes this outstanding handler even more amazing, with cornering approaching .91Gs. My Mopar Stage 1 upgrade brings 1/4 times into the mid 13s, with smooth turbo response across usable range. Braking is outstanding. What it doesn't beat, it embarasses. If you love performance, don't mind the tuner crowd, and can live with stiff-bolstered seats that make your middle-aged spread apparant, grab one of these cars and hang on to it.

Great car!
By modernmom on 01/15/07 07:54 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a general drive around. I have done 2 road trips from MO to MN. I love this car $60 for gas round trip! Great stereo, great handling, no repairs other than general maintenance. I love the 28-35 mpg. Nice get up and go. I am a 40 something mom and let me tell you this car makes me feel 25! I would recommend this car to anyone. Downside, noisy brakes and inconvenient console storage. Everything else is a win win!

Neon SXT
By Scott on 12/28/06 19:00 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car everyday. It is solid, no squeaks or rattles. I have a 5spd rated 29city/36hwy. My mileage was averaging 32-33 in mixed driving. Once the engine was broken in around 5k miles it felt quite a bit stronger.The idle speed solenoid failed at around 18k miles. No other problems to date. This is the last year of the Neon. The 2nd generation Neons (2000- 2005) are a big improvement over the 1st generation in terms of quality. I also have a 2004 SRT-4 and that has been an excellent car as well.

Best car I've sold out of.
By rmercer on 11/28/06 16:04 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I travel the Houston, Texas area and am very happy with this car. The dealer recommended this one and I was skeptical. He was right. It looks small but is very roomy. I get excellant gas mileage and this car is holding up very well in the city atmosphere. Stop and go or on the highway this car is awesome!

Great car to start with
By Chad L on 11/10/06 23:14 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Neon is a great little car if you are looking for something to get you from point A to point B and have a litte fun doing it. The handling is the best part about it mixed with the fuel economy. Road noise is an issue, and anyone that says the brakes are noisy is right. However, a quick spray with compressed air and that issue is gone. Only had to do that every 3 months or after going through high water. Otherwise I loved my Neon until I traded it in. This is a great car for teenagers!

2005 Dodge Neon SXT Sedan
By IDG on 10/21/06 15:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this late in 2006 after deciding that I needed a cheap, good fuel-economy small car to go to work with and take for occasional longer drives in the Northeast corridor. I've been very satisfied with it so far. It's got strong brakes, is super-fun to drive, really stable on curves, and zips in and out of traffic like a dream. The kicker audio is just awesome and lets me keep the engine noise in check! Fuel economy is okay to good, but the tank's pretty small, about 12gallons. I'd buy this car again if Dodge made some improvements and put this out on the market again, say, in 2008.

An absolute blast to drive
By Tim on 10/04/06 08:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this with the ACR package and from reading the other reviews, I am glad I did. 7 inch rims, adjustable struts and the ACR seats. Home-run! Mods are everywhere. I have a short-throw shifter that really improved shifting. This car takes curves with no sliding or squeal. It's a sports car, so to complain about ride would be an oxy-moron, your teeth will get rattled.

Dodge Neon '05 4D SXT
By rochfiriel on 09/27/06 14:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Originally had a Stratus, needed to downsize. The cab room for driver and shotgun passenger side very similar. I like that. Back seats a bit smaller. Much better fuel economy for a Dodge. Sporty and neutral interior colors make for an enjoyable trip around town. I not only save on gas, I have fun driving it too.