Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Great little car
By Brock on 12/18/09 13:28 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my dodge neon for just about four years now. I bought it brand new off the lot. It's a sxt model with an automatic transmission. The past two years, I've been commuting eighty plus miles a day to work and home again. With the exception of a new battery and four new tires, my neon drives and performs well. I do all the maintenance my self. My neon has a few squeaks and rattles which is normal for the amount of miles it has, but it continues to serve me well.

2005 Dodge Neon
By Bob on 11/05/09 15:20 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because of its relative fuel economy vs selling price...good MPG for the price I paid. In town I get 25.5, with automatic, driving conservatively. Also, it is a previous SCCA champion road race and autoross car...it handles very well, handles super with a few minor mods.Acceleration is fun, not stunning.

Still Love The Neon!
By Matt D. on 11/03/09 05:47 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car two years ago with 19k on the odometer. We now have 60k on it. The only issue we've ever had besides a stock battery with a couple dead cells in it, was with a water leak that Chrysler issued a TSB back in '03. I fixed that myself. The car handles great, fairly comfortable for a small car, and is fun to drive. Sure it could use more power, but it's way more than adequate. One thing though, is the in town mileage for this car is pretty low. I average 23 MPG in town. But on the highway, especially on our vacation trips, we hit 37 MPG regularly. The factory Goodyear Eagle LS tires were horrible in the rain and snow. I replaced them with Cooper CS4's and haven't looked back.

tiny tank
By kate_runs on 10/05/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In what parallel universe does this car get supposed good fuel economy? I have put a lot of money keeping this car in the best shape, I don't drive it in a gas-wasting sort of way, and I usually only get around 20/22mpg on a tank-- and that is with freeway driving as well. It's like driving a small tank, especially in contrast to non-American compact equivalents. It does zip along quite quickly on flat roads, depending on the weather. Positive: I feel pretty safe driving it (in terms of how solid it is), and the trunk is quite roomy. Lastly: God forbid you turn the a/c on- the mpg goes to around 16mpg

Chrysler could have done better
By Willie on 10/02/09 13:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The fuel economy is quite good. Vehicle came with a spoiler on the trunk lid that obstructed rear view and I ended up removing it and plugging the screw holes. At 38,000 miles the vehicle would not pass a state inspection because the lower control arm bushings seperated from their housing on both sides of the vehicle. Dealer says he has relaced these failed parts on many Dodge Neon vehicles and on PT Cruisers which have the same suspension. Had other Chrysler vehicles in the past and will certainly never buy another one.

Quiet Neon
By Mike L on 08/17/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the Neon SXT new in September 2005. This is August 2009 and not a bit of trouble. It rides, handles, and performs better that I expected for a small car. It has the deluxe insulation group and is quiet. I had the car rust proofed (Ziebart & Sound Barrier). At 56,000 miles replaced the tires with one size larger Goodyear ComforTred tires. The car is now very quiet (no..not exactly Lexus quiet)and even more comfortable for our drives across Michigan to see our grandkids. The car consistently returns 36-37 MPG on the freeway at 70 MPH. I have had a several people tell me what a nice, comfortable small car this is. We like this car very much.

Surprisingly Great Little Car
By Luann on 07/30/09 07:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was a super clean, low-mileage trade-in at the dealership. It fit my budget and commuting needs. This car corners well and has good giddy-up when I need to excel to get onto the freeway or pass another car. It turns on a dime so parking is a breeze. Great stereo sound is a plus. I love this car! The reading lamps are great too, housed within the rear-view mirror, like those a lot!

Buy extended warranty
By Jeff on 07/16/09 04:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Traded a 99 model for this 05,mainly for upgrades.At 19000 miles the temperature gauge quit working.Gauge is part of $515 instrument cluster. Had Chrysler max care extended warranty so cost me $100 to fix. These cars were after all the cheapest Chrysler made,so an extended warranty is a good idea.Also they were most likely the only cars Chrysler actually made any money on and stopping production was kind of stupid in my opinion. Not saying it would have kept them out of bankruptcy procedings but who knows. Maybe they will bring it back as a Fiat!

Our neon named "Dimples"
By koneill on 07/03/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new back in 2005 and now in 2009 it has 115,000 miles and have had no problems so far (knock on wood). Take yearly trips cross country with the kids and get good gas mileage. The only complaint is all the dents from wildlife running into it, polls jumping in front of it and carts that are attracted to it. I am waiting for everything to start falling apart on it Dimples, but so far, I have love this car and am attached to it.

2nd Amazing Neon, still have the first !
By Dodge Man on 06/12/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely excellent little car. 20,000 miles so far, w/o a hitch. 30 city/37 hwy with 5 speed. I'd never own an automatic anything! I own a '95 model, purchased new in April of '94. Still going strong with 115,000 miles.... I take very good care of my equipment and it lasts.