Used 2005 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

GREAT CAR!
By santoactueel

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great to me. I bought it used at 60k miles and I am the 4th owner. I did everything you're suppose to do when buying a used car. Spent the money on the Carfax (a $30 Carfax VS. a costly mistake), test drove it and asked questions like crazy to see any faults in the sellers description. The maintenance on this car has been wonderful and it is great on gas. I found out the Neons have a Mitsubishi. I do all the repairs myself, I replaced the fender & bumper from an accident; the dealer wanted $1500 to repair it, but I found a new fender on eBay for $15 & new bumper for $50. All in all the parts are very affordable & I would definitely buy another one if Dodge still made them.

MPG, MPH, Easy Maintenance, Affordable on Gas, Affordable Parts, Mitsubishi Stock Engine, Fog Lights

Rear Power Windows

Very Pround SXT Owner
By chel89

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car new as a junior in high school in 2005. There were only two SXT's left on the lot, including an orange one with a spoiler. Picked it up for around 13K (on sale) at the time and instantly fell in love. The car has been extremely reliable and I've always felt safe in it. For a "compact car" I actually think it's quiet roomy. I've managed to keep the interior/exterior pretty immaculate for its age. The car isn't without problems. I've had to replace the Camshaft senor twice now (25$ part) and I find the car takes a toll on tires and breaks- so be prepared to replace these a tad earlier than suggested. I also had to replace all 4 motor mounts at 75K. (@81K ATM)

It's definetly gas friendly. It's actually a very stylish car. Inexpensive parts to fix when things DO go wrong. (The 4 motor mounts cost me about $650 to have replaced) It's comfortable. Air conditioning is amazing! Especially being that I live in FL. The heat actually works fast too, for those rare days. And most importantly, it's been a very reliable car for me. I really hope it lasts me another 100K miles.

I don't know what the deal is with this car and camshaft sensors, everyone who owns this car has this problem, but at leasts it's a cheap fix. It's tough on tires and breaks, mainly tires. Notoriously weak motor mounts apparently. (The SRT model doesnt have this issue.)

If you want the devil following, choose this car.
By nexxt

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car at the beginning of 2010 when i was 15, & have been driving it ever since. Now im 17, & the first year of having my car it was so reliable & great. About a year after having it, alot of problems started happening. My sensors dont work, my engine light turns on all the time & when it does, if i go past 2 (RPM)'s, my car will start jolting back & forth. Feels like stalling, & i have an automatic. When it rains, my meters dont work. My MPH, Gas, Car tempt, & RPM gauges wont even move. I dont know why, but my locks open & close at any time. They flip out & it locks & unlocks ALL the time by itself. I have 82,000 miles on it, & i dont feel safe driving it at all. Waste of $4000.

Good on gas, easy to maintain. Maintenance (Oil change, brakes, car parts) are very inexpensive.

Everything.

I'd by another one if Chrysler still made them!
By sharong61

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2By sharong61 on 03/05/11 14:30 PM (PST) I also purchased mine new in 2005 and have 92,000 miles on it as she's still going strong! I love how she hugs the curves, for a little 4 banger, she goes! I went to Tennessee and back last summer (1100 miles totalled) on 2.5 tanks of gas (30 gal. aprox) which averages out to 32-33mpg!! My stereo is kickass! I love the seats folding down in back (almost like a hatchback)and have had to put very little maintenance on her! Did get new tires 2 years ago and replaced brakes once and of course oil changes. She starts when it's cold, the a/c works great even after almost 6 years. Some lady slid into my rear at about 30mph last year, she even picked me up off the ground as we were both going down a hill! She demolished the whole front of her 2007 Ford Fusion, my bumper had 2 very small scratches and she put a dent in my muffler! I never even had it fixed to this day and people can't tell! My only gripe at all about Neons is that they slide easy on packed snow or ice as they are lightweight. Mine will be paid off in a few months and am debating on weather to sell her too as I don't think I'll find as good a car again! Chrysler was crazy to discontinue them! They'd be selling them like hotcakes right now!

Do Not Take In Rain
By angelgirl11684

2005 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 3-1/2 years now and i cannot wait till i can get rid of it. I have to hold onto it for at least another three months and have constantly had problems with it not starting and the radio going out. Also my front passanger window can now only go up using the drivers side and supposedly theres no problem with it. But the worst thing almost everytime it rains the car loses control and wont stop. I've had to replace the tires and breaks and it still happened. I would not suggest this car to anyone, espically if you have alot of rain. I have had to take to having people lend me their cars in rain or drive me to be safe.

• SUV