Used 2005 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

If you want the devil following, choose this car.
By nexxt

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car at the beginning of 2010 when i was 15, & have been driving it ever since. Now im 17, & the first year of having my car it was so reliable & great. About a year after having it, alot of problems started happening. My sensors dont work, my engine light turns on all the time & when it does, if i go past 2 (RPM)'s, my car will start jolting back & forth. Feels like stalling, & i have an automatic. When it rains, my meters dont work. My MPH, Gas, Car tempt, & RPM gauges wont even move. I dont know why, but my locks open & close at any time. They flip out & it locks & unlocks ALL the time by itself. I have 82,000 miles on it, & i dont feel safe driving it at all. Waste of $4000.

Favorite Features

Good on gas, easy to maintain. Maintenance (Oil change, brakes, car parts) are very inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

I'd by another one if Chrysler still made them!
By sharong61

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2By sharong61 on 03/05/11 14:30 PM (PST) I also purchased mine new in 2005 and have 92,000 miles on it as she's still going strong! I love how she hugs the curves, for a little 4 banger, she goes! I went to Tennessee and back last summer (1100 miles totalled) on 2.5 tanks of gas (30 gal. aprox) which averages out to 32-33mpg!! My stereo is kickass! I love the seats folding down in back (almost like a hatchback)and have had to put very little maintenance on her! Did get new tires 2 years ago and replaced brakes once and of course oil changes. She starts when it's cold, the a/c works great even after almost 6 years. Some lady slid into my rear at about 30mph last year, she even picked me up off the ground as we were both going down a hill! She demolished the whole front of her 2007 Ford Fusion, my bumper had 2 very small scratches and she put a dent in my muffler! I never even had it fixed to this day and people can't tell! My only gripe at all about Neons is that they slide easy on packed snow or ice as they are lightweight. Mine will be paid off in a few months and am debating on weather to sell her too as I don't think I'll find as good a car again! Chrysler was crazy to discontinue them! They'd be selling them like hotcakes right now!

Do Not Take In Rain
By angelgirl11684

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 3-1/2 years now and i cannot wait till i can get rid of it. I have to hold onto it for at least another three months and have constantly had problems with it not starting and the radio going out. Also my front passanger window can now only go up using the drivers side and supposedly theres no problem with it. But the worst thing almost everytime it rains the car loses control and wont stop. I've had to replace the tires and breaks and it still happened. I would not suggest this car to anyone, espically if you have alot of rain. I have had to take to having people lend me their cars in rain or drive me to be safe.

really?
By z32tturbojoe

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well. Let me start off with this is my gf car and she does not let it warm up and runs the s*^% out of it. Which is probably why it is has developed a rod knock at 81,000 miles. Needless to say but only in freezing temps and for about 10 seconds until the oil gets to the top of the bottom end. I've been changing the cars oil every 2500 miles with Mobil 1 syn blend for about 2 years since shes had it. I had always noticed a lifter tick since she had purchased it at 55,000. Well I need a bottom end kit and cannot find one anywhere for a reasonable price. Any ideas? P. S honestly I understand this happening at 125,000+ but not at 81,000. Think it was poorly built

103,000 run hard
By 1oldwolf1

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have owned my srt4 since new now has 103,000. In all this time replace battery and 2 sensors, just did 100,000 mile timing belt and seals. Uses no oil between 3000 mile oils changes run super at 103,000 mile just putting on 5th set of tires, mods cat-back tail pipe from Dodge, k&n filters, pillar Gage pod to add volts and oil pressure, bbs 7 inch rims with 225 x 45 x 17 tires (a must do) had after market Cruise add at the dealer before it came home. Options side airbags, sunroof from factory. Owen this car since 9 miles drive it everywhere 20 in city and 32 hi way at 103,000 miles. It a blast would not trade it for anything but a viper. I also Owen 1972 road runner 440 4 speed still love srt4 daily

Favorite Features

2.4 turbo, 5 speed, 4 disk with antilocks. stops very quick. fun on road course!

Suggested Improvements

catback gains 4 mpg gauge pod with volts and oil pressure 7 x17 rims and 225 x 45 x 17 tires komho or handkook stage II kit with toys (turn down turbo for just driving) after market tail and head lights (better looking)