2005 Dodge Neon SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sort Reviews by

Best first car ever...I love you "Bertha"!!
By bmore410

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Probably my favorite out of all the cars I've ever driven. I love this car to death. I've done all I can to keep it running and it's still running like new. I definitely plan to keep this car well into college. Not only is it stylish, but it just has character. There's just something about it that I love so much about it. I've really developed a "connection" with "Bertha", she's a part of the family:) I highly recommend this a teens first car.

Favorite Features

-sound system with kicking bass -very powerful brakes -3 cup holders in center console -very stylish with a spoiler -black color looks sexy -really fun on curves -very bright headlights/fog lights -powerful and smooth engine -very effective air conditioning/heating

Suggested Improvements

-rear power windows -better interior build -all wheel drive -more airbags -does require a bit of maintenance from time to time

You want a big regret? Welcome to neons!
By nexxt

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant beg you enough for all of you that are thinking about buying this car, youre trippin. DONT! This is the car that will ruin your life. I cant stress how much I hate this car. Bought it for $3200 as a first car 3+ years ago. Ive put over $5000 in upkeep. Last December I spent $1200 on all new motor mounts cus they were all broken. My windows lag when rolling up, my meters don't work especially when it gets wet, suspension is crap, horrible takeoff, the engine jolts all the time for no reason, my headlights flash for no reason. Ill be sitting at a stoplight and it will just feel like someone running up to the front of my car & jumping on the hood. It shakes, squeaky, cheaply made!!!!!

Favorite Features

Good enough on gas.

Suggested Improvements

They made the biggest improvement by not making any more dodge neons. If you want a car that is NOT safe, NOT reliable, WILL leave you stranded, WILL make you depressed, and WILL give you headaches by all the money youre spending, then this is just for you! Take this into consideration. You WILL** eventually run into problems *besides standard upkeep (tires, oil changes, brakes, etc). Don't get this car, it will ruin you :(

Fairly new 05 dodge neon sxt owner
By cochenour94

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car from a buy here pay here lot for upwards of $6,000. My parents put some money down on it for me & I am currently paying $290 a month for it. I am the 2nd owner of this car & got it with barely 80,000 miles on it. Its great on gas, but Im at the pump more than I want to be b/c of the size of the tank. I love the car b/c its the perfect size for me & easy to drive. After a couple of months, things started going wrong. My parents did not get a car fax & I quickly realized there was no horn assembly, the battery died, a part failure caused 50% loss of the brakes, the tires have never been replaced, the engine light comes on and the car jolts and the timing belt needed replaced.

Favorite Features

Size Gas mileage Steering Comfort

Suggested Improvements

Needless to say, I have probably already put more money into this car than its worth and I wish my parents would have just asked for the carfax! Car is simply built poorly.

Great Car with great MPG
By scorpion2k5

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was the second owner of my 2005 Neon SXT. I purchased it for $14000 with just under 35k mileage on it. I got mainly to go back and forth to school, but ended up doing a lot more than with it. Most of the driving I did with it was on the highway, and I was averaging 36 miles to the gallon, and in the city I was was 32mpg. I was very happy with that. It was a fun little car to drive. I drove it until the front passenger side tie-rod end snapped, and caused me to crash into two other cars. I had only owned the car for less than 6 months before that happened. It was due to poor maintiance from the previous owners never getting the car inspected.

Favorite Features

I loved everything about this car. I would have liked to have had a larger engine in it, like 2.4L 4 cylinder or even a 3.0 6 cylinder (which they never made, but I would have loved that nonetheless).

Suggested Improvements

Bring the car back, and make it with an optional 6 cylinder version. I would love to have a new 2013-14 or whatever Neon... That would be awesome.

Great car for 6 years
By bmerrr06

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 05 Neon SXT in 06 with 30k miles on it. It lasted until 90k miles but then the transmission blew. Other than that, it was a great commuter car, and I never had any other problems with it. Its not flashy or a luxury vehicle but if your looking for a cheap but reliable vehicle that gets about 30 miles per gallon (highway). I only paid 11,000 for it so I feel like I got my money's worth :) I would buy another one but I need an SUV now.

Very Pround SXT Owner
By chel89

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car new as a junior in high school in 2005. There were only two SXT's left on the lot, including an orange one with a spoiler. Picked it up for around 13K (on sale) at the time and instantly fell in love. The car has been extremely reliable and I've always felt safe in it. For a "compact car" I actually think it's quiet roomy. I've managed to keep the interior/exterior pretty immaculate for its age. The car isn't without problems. I've had to replace the Camshaft senor twice now (25$ part) and I find the car takes a toll on tires and breaks- so be prepared to replace these a tad earlier than suggested. I also had to replace all 4 motor mounts at 75K. (@81K ATM)

Favorite Features

It's definetly gas friendly. It's actually a very stylish car. Inexpensive parts to fix when things DO go wrong. (The 4 motor mounts cost me about $650 to have replaced) It's comfortable. Air conditioning is amazing! Especially being that I live in FL. The heat actually works fast too, for those rare days. And most importantly, it's been a very reliable car for me. I really hope it lasts me another 100K miles.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know what the deal is with this car and camshaft sensors, everyone who owns this car has this problem, but at leasts it's a cheap fix. It's tough on tires and breaks, mainly tires. Notoriously weak motor mounts apparently. (The SRT model doesnt have this issue.)

I'd by another one if Chrysler still made them!
By sharong61

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2By sharong61 on 03/05/11 14:30 PM (PST) I also purchased mine new in 2005 and have 92,000 miles on it as she's still going strong! I love how she hugs the curves, for a little 4 banger, she goes! I went to Tennessee and back last summer (1100 miles totalled) on 2.5 tanks of gas (30 gal. aprox) which averages out to 32-33mpg!! My stereo is kickass! I love the seats folding down in back (almost like a hatchback)and have had to put very little maintenance on her! Did get new tires 2 years ago and replaced brakes once and of course oil changes. She starts when it's cold, the a/c works great even after almost 6 years. Some lady slid into my rear at about 30mph last year, she even picked me up off the ground as we were both going down a hill! She demolished the whole front of her 2007 Ford Fusion, my bumper had 2 very small scratches and she put a dent in my muffler! I never even had it fixed to this day and people can't tell! My only gripe at all about Neons is that they slide easy on packed snow or ice as they are lightweight. Mine will be paid off in a few months and am debating on weather to sell her too as I don't think I'll find as good a car again! Chrysler was crazy to discontinue them! They'd be selling them like hotcakes right now!

Do Not Take In Rain
By angelgirl11684

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about 3-1/2 years now and i cannot wait till i can get rid of it. I have to hold onto it for at least another three months and have constantly had problems with it not starting and the radio going out. Also my front passanger window can now only go up using the drivers side and supposedly theres no problem with it. But the worst thing almost everytime it rains the car loses control and wont stop. I've had to replace the tires and breaks and it still happened. I would not suggest this car to anyone, espically if you have alot of rain. I have had to take to having people lend me their cars in rain or drive me to be safe.

really?
By z32tturbojoe

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well. Let me start off with this is my gf car and she does not let it warm up and runs the s*^% out of it. Which is probably why it is has developed a rod knock at 81,000 miles. Needless to say but only in freezing temps and for about 10 seconds until the oil gets to the top of the bottom end. I've been changing the cars oil every 2500 miles with Mobil 1 syn blend for about 2 years since shes had it. I had always noticed a lifter tick since she had purchased it at 55,000. Well I need a bottom end kit and cannot find one anywhere for a reasonable price. Any ideas? P. S honestly I understand this happening at 125,000+ but not at 81,000. Think it was poorly built

Great car with few problems
By drachen117

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 5 and a half years, bought it brand new and put all 110,000 miles on it. first few favorite picks. engine was always a smooth running engine, and very very easy to work on. had to replace coolant lines and replace two sensors which did not require much work. and had to replace brakes which was also an easy task. But installed a performance air intake which was easy and cruise the the car and actually got 38 mpg! but average mileage is 32 - 33! During winter months drops to 28 - 29. So all and all, car had a few early problems and cheap components but was fun and cost efficient past five years!

Favorite Features

The 2.0 engine. Kicker audio system. and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Redo the rear drum brakes, squeal after 10,000 miles due to dust, and use better quality materials.