Used 2005 Dodge Neon SXT Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Enjoying a fun car
By Terry

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new.
I think only the original owner, can give a proper review of a vehicle. Buying "any" vehicle used, is a crap shoot....you may get lucky...or not.
Observing and talking with many people, over my 50 years of driving, I can say, that without a doubt, many folks abuse their vehicles. This can be done by the way they drive, or through maintenance, or both.
I broke the car in for the first 1,000 miles by varying my speed and rpm. I warm the car up for 15 seconds...to a full minute, depending on temperature. I shift at 2000 to 2200 rpm until the car is fully warmed up(about 10 min.).
I change the oil and filter myself, every 3,000 miles, with regular 5w20 oil. The car has 52,000 miles on the clock as of today, with original everything. No issues whatsoever.....none. Everything works on the car.
The best fuel mileage I attained so far, was 40mpg on a long trip. From the Costco in south Carson City, Nevada, to Douglas County Oregon, on one tank. Open road speeds were 65-70 mph.
The car uses about a quarter of a quart of oil between oil changes....so I never add any in between. I've had it to 100 mph and it was taching about 4,000 rpm and it had a lot more left.
Overall, a great buy for $9999 out the door ....and a great car for the money. Thanks Dodge!

Eats Tie Rod Ends For Breakfast
By Amanda

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a starving student and should have held out for a Honda Civic. It was fine for about two years and then the repairs started coming. I've gone through at least 4, if not more, tie rod ends. I swear I don't aim for pot holes! I swear I drive like an old lady. I hate when my car makes noise so I'm very proactive about repairs.

The brakes have ALWAYS sounded awful. Just always.

This car hates moisture.

I swear it's worse when it rains.

The doors are frozen shut most of the winter.

Sounds awful on the thruway.

And the best part? The best part is when the head gasket blew. At 50,000 miles I needed a new head gasket. Jokes on them because it was still under the extended warranty and they had to pay for it!

So yeah this thing has been a giant headache for me. A ten year long headache. I wouldn't GIVE this car away.

disappointing first car
By Aaron.pat.

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being a college student, I figured that I needed a car of my own. I looked around dealerships close to my location snd found my neon for $2,000. It ran smooth...for about 20 minutes. It broke down before I even got home. Ao far, I have owned this vehicle for 3 months and ive only been in possession of it for around 6 days total (due to breakdowns and long repair times). So far, I have put $1500 into fixing it, even took it to the best mechanic in town (really expensive) and it still broke down in a matter of 1 day. If you are looking for a reliable cheap car, GO FOR THE CIVIC!

Best first car ever...I love you "Bertha"!!
By bmore410

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Probably my favorite out of all the cars I've ever driven. I love this car to death. I've done all I can to keep it running and it's still running like new. I definitely plan to keep this car well into college. Not only is it stylish, but it just has character. There's just something about it that I love so much about it. I've really developed a "connection" with "Bertha", she's a part of the family:) I highly recommend this a teens first car.

-sound system with kicking bass -very powerful brakes -3 cup holders in center console -very stylish with a spoiler -black color looks sexy -really fun on curves -very bright headlights/fog lights -powerful and smooth engine -very effective air conditioning/heating

-rear power windows -better interior build -all wheel drive -more airbags -does require a bit of maintenance from time to time

You want a big regret? Welcome to neons!
By nexxt

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant beg you enough for all of you that are thinking about buying this car, youre trippin. DONT! This is the car that will ruin your life. I cant stress how much I hate this car. Bought it for $3200 as a first car 3+ years ago. Ive put over $5000 in upkeep. Last December I spent $1200 on all new motor mounts cus they were all broken. My windows lag when rolling up, my meters don't work especially when it gets wet, suspension is crap, horrible takeoff, the engine jolts all the time for no reason, my headlights flash for no reason. Ill be sitting at a stoplight and it will just feel like someone running up to the front of my car & jumping on the hood. It shakes, squeaky, cheaply made!!!!!

Good enough on gas.

They made the biggest improvement by not making any more dodge neons. If you want a car that is NOT safe, NOT reliable, WILL leave you stranded, WILL make you depressed, and WILL give you headaches by all the money youre spending, then this is just for you! Take this into consideration. You WILL** eventually run into problems *besides standard upkeep (tires, oil changes, brakes, etc). Don't get this car, it will ruin you :(