2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
My Favorite Car of All Time
By dezern on 06/06/13 19:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've always loved the SRT-4's, and when I was finally given the chance to get one I jumped on it fast. I love this car more than any other I've ever owned or driven before, she's incredibly smooth at high speeds, sticks to the road like you wouldn't believe, and will blow the minds of anyone foolish enough to think she's just a Neon. I have very minimal mods and the only thing that's given me any trouble was a 2013 Mustang GT that had been built quite a bit. 5.0s, S2ks, WRXs, I've never lost to them before with this mean little car. If you want something fast and practical, buy this car! Also, it is the meanest sounding four cylinder ever! Put a 3 inch side exhaust on her and she sounds evil

Best first car ever...I love you "Bertha"!!
By bmore410 on 05/10/13 20:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Probably my favorite out of all the cars I've ever driven. I love this car to death. I've done all I can to keep it running and it's still running like new. I definitely plan to keep this car well into college. Not only is it stylish, but it just has character. There's just something about it that I love so much about it. I've really developed a "connection" with "Bertha", she's a part of the family:) I highly recommend this a teens first car.

You want a big regret? Welcome to neons!
By nexxt on 04/04/13 23:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I cant beg you enough for all of you that are thinking about buying this car, youre trippin. DONT! This is the car that will ruin your life. I cant stress how much I hate this car. Bought it for $3200 as a first car 3+ years ago. Ive put over $5000 in upkeep. Last December I spent $1200 on all new motor mounts cus they were all broken. My windows lag when rolling up, my meters don't work especially when it gets wet, suspension is crap, horrible takeoff, the engine jolts all the time for no reason, my headlights flash for no reason. Ill be sitting at a stoplight and it will just feel like someone running up to the front of my car & jumping on the hood. It shakes, squeaky, cheaply made!!!!!

Does what it was made to do GREAT! Bullet proof engine
By qwiksilvertrav on 03/10/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great car. Bought it new and have had it for 10 years now with 97k miles. Since 15k miles it's been running more hp/tq so putting extra stress on the engine. It now pushes almost 500 hp and the valve cover hasn't even come off...all bolt ons! Runs strong and it's STILL on factory internals. Unbelievable. Best bang for your buck period. Very solid car...have only had to replace wear and tear parts such as brakes, a wheel bearing, clutch, etc.

Fairly new 05 dodge neon sxt owner
By cochenour94 on 11/07/12 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car from a buy here pay here lot for upwards of $6,000. My parents put some money down on it for me & I am currently paying $290 a month for it. I am the 2nd owner of this car & got it with barely 80,000 miles on it. Its great on gas, but Im at the pump more than I want to be b/c of the size of the tank. I love the car b/c its the perfect size for me & easy to drive. After a couple of months, things started going wrong. My parents did not get a car fax & I quickly realized there was no horn assembly, the battery died, a part failure caused 50% loss of the brakes, the tires have never been replaced, the engine light comes on and the car jolts and the timing belt needed replaced.

Great Car with great MPG
By scorpion2k5 on 08/29/12 02:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was the second owner of my 2005 Neon SXT. I purchased it for $14000 with just under 35k mileage on it. I got mainly to go back and forth to school, but ended up doing a lot more than with it. Most of the driving I did with it was on the highway, and I was averaging 36 miles to the gallon, and in the city I was was 32mpg. I was very happy with that. It was a fun little car to drive. I drove it until the front passenger side tie-rod end snapped, and caused me to crash into two other cars. I had only owned the car for less than 6 months before that happened. It was due to poor maintiance from the previous owners never getting the car inspected.

Great car for 6 years
By bmerrr06 on 06/07/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the 05 Neon SXT in 06 with 30k miles on it. It lasted until 90k miles but then the transmission blew. Other than that, it was a great commuter car, and I never had any other problems with it. Its not flashy or a luxury vehicle but if your looking for a cheap but reliable vehicle that gets about 30 miles per gallon (highway). I only paid 11,000 for it so I feel like I got my money's worth :) I would buy another one but I need an SUV now.

GREAT CAR!
By santoactueel on 04/23/12 18:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great to me. I bought it used at 60k miles and I am the 4th owner. I did everything you're suppose to do when buying a used car. Spent the money on the Carfax (a $30 Carfax VS. a costly mistake), test drove it and asked questions like crazy to see any faults in the sellers description. The maintenance on this car has been wonderful and it is great on gas. I found out the Neons have a Mitsubishi. I do all the repairs myself, I replaced the fender & bumper from an accident; the dealer wanted $1500 to repair it, but I found a new fender on eBay for $15 & new bumper for $50. All in all the parts are very affordable & I would definitely buy another one if Dodge still made them.

Very Pround SXT Owner
By chel89 on 04/02/12 11:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car new as a junior in high school in 2005. There were only two SXT's left on the lot, including an orange one with a spoiler. Picked it up for around 13K (on sale) at the time and instantly fell in love. The car has been extremely reliable and I've always felt safe in it. For a "compact car" I actually think it's quiet roomy. I've managed to keep the interior/exterior pretty immaculate for its age. The car isn't without problems. I've had to replace the Camshaft senor twice now (25$ part) and I find the car takes a toll on tires and breaks- so be prepared to replace these a tad earlier than suggested. I also had to replace all 4 motor mounts at 75K. (@81K ATM)

If you want the devil following, choose this car.
By nexxt on 01/20/12 23:09 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car at the beginning of 2010 when i was 15, & have been driving it ever since. Now im 17, & the first year of having my car it was so reliable & great. About a year after having it, alot of problems started happening. My sensors dont work, my engine light turns on all the time & when it does, if i go past 2 (RPM)'s, my car will start jolting back & forth. Feels like stalling, & i have an automatic. When it rains, my meters dont work. My MPH, Gas, Car tempt, & RPM gauges wont even move. I dont know why, but my locks open & close at any time. They flip out & it locks & unlocks ALL the time by itself. I have 82,000 miles on it, & i dont feel safe driving it at all. Waste of $4000.