Used 2005 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Great after 70,000 miles
By Second Neon

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new for $12,500. After 10 years, it's still a great car for the money. No problems with the engine. Front seats are very comfortable for me. Controls, radio etc are simple to operate. Manual trans shifts smoothly, lasts forever. My old neon has 254,000 miles and the trans and engine still are OK, although the engine oil seals leak . . . but it's in it's 22nd year.

Enjoying a fun car
By Terry

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new.
I think only the original owner, can give a proper review of a vehicle. Buying "any" vehicle used, is a crap shoot....you may get lucky...or not.
Observing and talking with many people, over my 50 years of driving, I can say, that without a doubt, many folks abuse their vehicles. This can be done by the way they drive, or through maintenance, or both.
I broke the car in for the first 1,000 miles by varying my speed and rpm. I warm the car up for 15 seconds...to a full minute, depending on temperature. I shift at 2000 to 2200 rpm until the car is fully warmed up(about 10 min.).
I change the oil and filter myself, every 3,000 miles, with regular 5w20 oil. The car has 52,000 miles on the clock as of today, with original everything. No issues whatsoever.....none. Everything works on the car.
The best fuel mileage I attained so far, was 40mpg on a long trip. From the Costco in south Carson City, Nevada, to Douglas County Oregon, on one tank. Open road speeds were 65-70 mph.
The car uses about a quarter of a quart of oil between oil changes....so I never add any in between. I've had it to 100 mph and it was taching about 4,000 rpm and it had a lot more left.
Overall, a great buy for $9999 out the door ....and a great car for the money. Thanks Dodge!

Eats Tie Rod Ends For Breakfast
By Amanda

2005 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a starving student and should have held out for a Honda Civic. It was fine for about two years and then the repairs started coming. I've gone through at least 4, if not more, tie rod ends. I swear I don't aim for pot holes! I swear I drive like an old lady. I hate when my car makes noise so I'm very proactive about repairs.

The brakes have ALWAYS sounded awful. Just always.

This car hates moisture.

I swear it's worse when it rains.

The doors are frozen shut most of the winter.

Sounds awful on the thruway.

And the best part? The best part is when the head gasket blew. At 50,000 miles I needed a new head gasket. Jokes on them because it was still under the extended warranty and they had to pay for it!

So yeah this thing has been a giant headache for me. A ten year long headache. I wouldn't GIVE this car away.

35000 Miles at 308 whp and 328 torque!!
By Singh

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A really strong engine. They are dynoed at 220 whp-230 whp stock. (They make about 250 hp at the crank). There is no need to build the stock engine with forged internals. I am now looking to go e85 with a big wheel stock turbo soon and according to my tuner I should be over 340 whp and over 400 lb ft torque.The srt-4 engine can handle 400 whp all day in stock form. At 110,000 miles the only thing I had replaced on the engine was the cam sensor, magnet and coil pack. Total cost of about $160. I have had no problem with the transmission. However I had many suspension related problem but this is typical with the any high mileage vehicle (especially american made) .

Never Again!!!
By luis

2005 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I saved up for more than 3 years to buy a car. I bought this one at a auction for about 3k4 and it was the worst choice so far. The car turned off of on me the next day. I changed the alternator thinking that was the problem. Not! I got stranded a couple more times. Then I changed the tps sensor for 60 bucks. It was working fine up untill the next 2 days. Problems usually start when the car is warmed up. The engine wants to turn off, the revs drop, the car won't get the gas, and it might be a 4 cylinder but with this problem going on it is wasting gas like a 6 maybe even an 8 cylinder. Till this point idk what is the problem with the car. This car is just going to be a headache, just get a honda.