2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Review: Great! but do not buy it, plea

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Review

SXT Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Great! but do not buy it, please read.
By diego_cid on

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

the car was great, until 100K miles. It first started as slightly rough idle, and then it got worse. I had it check and it was determined that a valve was leaking and therefore it would misfire. It failed the wet compression test and the computer code backed the mechanic's claim. Miss fire cylinder # 2. The repairs would cost me 1.5K on a 3K car, it was not worth it so I traded the car still owning like 2K, I got 800 for it in the trade it since it was broken, the check engine light would flash during idle so there was no hiding it. The car was fun to drive and very very practical, gas mileage was about 28 hwy and 23 city. It could be a lot better for an engine that small.

I had the basic model, that had no ABS which makes the insurance more expensive. I checked how much it would be for me with the same coverage for cars that were more expensive with bigger engines and it was WAY cheaper for those than my SXT Neon. You buy a cheap car to save money but the insurance defeats the purpose. Please buy something else, the quality of the engine is really bad, the gas mileage could be better for a small engine like that, and the insurance is too much for such a cheap car. Not a money saver if you ask me. I now own a 2007 volvo S40 AWD T5 and the insurance is cheaper than in the neon! If you don't know, the Volvo is a luxury car with a 2.5 turbo.

They have to improve the reliability of the major components for sure, and the insurance is so expensive for a car in this range. I had several friends with the same car and the same issues. It is not an isolated case. I know there is good reviews of this car here but do not believe the hype. This is a bad car, a lemon! and I want to save you from it. This car will look and feel good at first, until you put some miles on it and you will be in for a surprise. I know in this economy we have to save money but you really get what you paid for here.