Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

only worth $300 maximum
By kristin

2004 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2011. I knew it was old at the time and maybe the dealership played a big role in why I am giving this car such a bad review. All four tires needed replacing after 1 month. A couple months later i had to replace the battery. A short time after that, i had to get the engine flushed. Breaks went out. At random times it would not shift into drive and when it finally did it would jolt forward. Half the time it would not start. The check engine light would come on at random times as well and it would stall out every time i got past 10 mph. I paid it off after all the hell it put me through and then it just shut down and would not start again. I had every intention of driving it for the remainder of my stay in college (which was only 1 year) and then trade it in for a new car. Instead i ended up trading it in (for $300) and getting yet another used car that i really could not afford. This was probably a great car 11 years ago, but i would not recommend it to anyone now days.

Lasts forever
By 5speedmanual3

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totaled my first 03 Sxt with 240,000 miles on it but I bet she could have gone way longer. Then bought an 04 R/T with 100,000 on it for a great price it now has 136000 and I love it, I don't babg this thing either its seen many track days and the shifts are still great love the car And I get about 30 mog city and almost 40 highway

The manual trans.

Cupholder for rear seats

I love this car!
By spooledup

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't get enough of this car. I've owned it for a little over 5 years and now have over 170,000 miles. It still runs smooth as it did with 65,000 miles and I've never had an issue with the car other than regular maintenance. I've changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch/fork, spark plugs, oil, and cam shaft sensor twice, battery and tires. That's it! All those things would need to be changed on any car so I would say this car is extremely reliable. It's never once left me stranded, and I don't drive like a grandma either. Speaking of which, the performance of this car is amazing. My car is still stock and I've beat everything from ls1 camaros, to evo's and sti's.

Reliability, performance, price, maintenance cost and fuel mileage.

Turning radius and a dash that doesn't crack in the sun.

DO NOT BUY
By blahblah7

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It was fun to drive, quick little car. BUT, It fell apart, right around 100, 000 kms everything goes wrong, like the tire rod, cam shaft sensor, o2 sensor and many many more. I had so many problems. I just really want to warn everyone and anyone to not buy this car, it will only be a head ache. save yourself and get a honda

none

quality, reliability, and overall better the car

Has served me well for 67k miles
By powerllama

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004. I've driven it ever since. I don't put as much mileage on cars as do other people, but 9 years and 67k miles can do a lot. The car is incredibly roomy on the inside, and easily fits four. Though it's not great for road-trips, as it doesn't have cruise control. But boy is it quick. It doesn't handle corners well, and has a giant turning radius, but in a straight line it's hard to beat for the price. Other than that, it's just a normal car. Nothing too special about it.

The speed, the speed, the speed. Roomy. Great A/C.

Could use power windows in the back, though I understand they didn't include them to keep costs down. Everything about this car was to keep costs down I guess. Cruise control would be great.