Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 299 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

best first car i could have hoped for
By mpickett

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my neon used from the original owner. i've had it for about 7 months now. this is also my first car that i bought myself. after spending two months looking for the right car, one that was cheap and good quality, i found that i made a great dicision. the guy i bought the car from took great care of it and so it still looks fantastic, and runs very well too. i like only having to spend 25 dollars for a gas fill up too. and the sound system is terrific with sub woofers and an amp in the trunk. plus, it attracts a lot of people's attention with the spoiler and ground effects. overall, i think i made a great choice with a car that im sure will last me a very long time.

neon lights underneath, sound system, great acceleration with cool air intake

too light and it makes me uneasy driving fast over a bridge because i can feel myself losing a little control of the car as wind hits it

Unreliable and Untrustworthy
By Ivory

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have now had this vehicle for approximately 2 years. It is now just over 112,000 miles. Just in the past 4 months, we have had to replace the transmission, both front tie rods and the radiator. The front windshield has a large crack from the drivers side to the passengers side which I refuse to replace at this time. The transmission went with little warning indication that it was 'going'. Vehicle has been serviced on a fairly regular basis and is not abused.

I really have none other than the obvious. Low gas mileage and cheap car. (Clearly I got what I paid for)

The entire car. I now hate everything about this car. I am terrified and scared to drive it anywhere because I'm afraid of getting stranded. Any owner that reaches 100,000 miles..hope you have AAA for all the towing you are going to have to do.

Budget Wheels in KC
By Bill in KC

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Neon new off the lot. I wish we would have ordered it out the way we wanted it, but all in all we did OK. We have taken this car on several road trips and found it to be excellent on the highway (except for a bit of road noise). Driving in snow is a bit of a challenge though. The trick is to keep excellent tires on the car! I find the engine weak, but reliable and I am always concerned by the clatter she makes when she starts up. To my surprise, a weak battery caused several sensors to go nuts and report three different codes. Thankfully, an excellent mechanic figured it out, replaced the battery and we are ready for another 70K in this little car!

handling, seat comfort, visibility, reliability

POWER REAR WINDOWS! Altered console layout with workable cup holders. Improved seat belt height adjusters (They don't go up high enough and I jam my shoulders into them ALL THE TIME)

below average, not quite a lemon
By neon H8R

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car bought new in '04. Around 30,000 Km the first problem arose when a computer problem was causing the engine to flutter and die. After this it ate gas for some reason and still does. Around 80,000 Km a cam shaft sensor went which was not covered under warranty. The blind spots are RIDICULOUS, even the rear window is hard to see out of. I do not feel safe making lane changes and approach every intersection and crosswalk with caution. I have almost been in numerous accidents because of them. The only piece of glass you can see out of without having some huge piece of the car blocking your view is the windshield. 6 disc changer in an idiotic place, load up before you leave your driveway.

Zero. I've hated this car from day one but was in a pinch and it was all I could afford. Wife loves it and refuses to get rid of it even though we are having a baby due soon.

The improvement has already been done...Dodge stopped making this car. If you buy one of these things I have two major suggestions for you: 1) Buy winter tires if you live in a snowy climate. This car does not stop on ice with regular tires. 2) Drive no faster than 60 Km/hr on gravel. Seriously.

THIS CAR IS BAD
By kate

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Lets put it this way... the value depreciation on this car is a joke.... I bought the car a year ago for 10 grand.... now... its worth 4 at the most IF its in excellent condition... which ofcourse its not because these cars fall apart easily. And now i'm stuck paying 215 bucks a month for a car that I hate. I can't get rid of it.... i'd be throwing away 6 grand. My last car was a 1998 honda civic coupe and i hardly had to fix anything on that car. AND it was 6 years older then my neon... But somehow i am constantly throwing down more money just to keep this p.o.s. running. NEVER BUY THIS CAR!!!! I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THIS A YEAR AGO!!! I OFFICIALLY HATE DODGE!

um... nothing...