2004 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Has a Weak Link
By Discusted on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife's 04 SXT still has under 70,000 miles on it. Recently, the radiator blew. This sent transmission fluid into the engine, and coolant into the transmission. New radiator install, $350. Tranny rebuild $1,800. The transmission shop said, "We see this all the time." Dodge counts on you being a foolish American consumer, wrapped up in keeping up with the Jones'. My 92 Toyota Tercel with 170,000 miles on it is not a chick magnet but when a lady wants to go out for the night, rest assured I can get her there. Shame on you Dodge, I am sure this is only the start of Neon failures.

best first car i could have hoped for
By mpickett on 05/08/10 23:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my neon used from the original owner. i've had it for about 7 months now. this is also my first car that i bought myself. after spending two months looking for the right car, one that was cheap and good quality, i found that i made a great dicision. the guy i bought the car from took great care of it and so it still looks fantastic, and runs very well too. i like only having to spend 25 dollars for a gas fill up too. and the sound system is terrific with sub woofers and an amp in the trunk. plus, it attracts a lot of people's attention with the spoiler and ground effects. overall, i think i made a great choice with a car that im sure will last me a very long time.

Great Car for little over 10K
By Robert on 08/18/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Went from old 91 honda Civic to this. Wasn't sure about the car. But few friends had one so I gave it a try. Now I am still driving it with 145,000 miles on it. All I have had to do was scheduled maintenance and has been great. To me there is nothing wrong with the American Cars. They just got a bad rep and is hard to shake. I wish they still made the Neon would get a new one over the caliber.

Not a bad car for the buck
By Michael on 03/26/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used a little over two years ago this month and I was well pleased with it. I fell for the style and the color of it. Mine is electric blue with a spoiler. A couple of things I don't like are that the car is very harsh over bumps and over exaggerates on any kind of road its on. I've had to change the transmission at 75,000 miles which I was upset about. The interior is ok but I feel like Dodge could of taken it a little further than just cheap hard plastic. I like the seats in the neon as well however I can't stand that everything stains the seats (even water). Back seats sit 4 comfortably even 6,0 guys like me, the fronts seats are cramped. The car overall is a good buy

Theft for this car
By Gina on 03/23/09 09:29 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a good car and is reliable and simple to fix if something is wrong but the theft on this car is terrible! I've had my car for 5yrs and it's been broken into 4times. And it's not the area because I've moved 3 times. Everytime I put in a police report, the police officers always say "you got to get rid of this car because it's # 1 for theft". Thank god they did the upgrade.

SXT review
By tech2 on 12/12/08 07:12 AM (PST)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was very reliable. The only problem I have had since rebuilding the engine is the power control module in this car which I think is a problem. I was looking for a recall on this but did not find one. Also it could get better gas mileege. I added one of those tornados to the air intake which increased fuel economy by 3 more miles.

Suprise, Surprise, Surpise!!
By Carmen on 08/02/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the dealer looking for a different car. Well, not so good credit landed me my neon. WOW!!! I am so happy that I got it. I've had it for about 4 years and only took it to the garage once. The mechanic was not too happy to hear it was a Neon, well after he test drove it after the fix, he was in love with MY car!! No complaints, but that for a small car it's not very fuel efficient. Other than that, I recommend this car. LOVE IT!

Could have done better
By elysian_7 on 07/25/08 19:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had mine 4 years, put 75,000 miles on it and bought it brand new. It's a good car. I have really had no problems until recently, but it has yet to leave me stranded. I'm getting strange codes and my transmission is acting berserk. The 6 disk changer was a mistake and I'm very upset with performance. I've lost several cds into the unknown in there and had to replace the thing twice. Other than that its a smooth ride, once i get my current problem fixed (still don't know what it is). Great speakers, cool look, smooth ride, almost no blind spots. Great first car. I won't get another though. Sorry dodge, but i can't take the electrical problems.

NEON SXT
By srt10dodgeviper on 07/22/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a car salesman and bought a neon. It's a pretty good car overall. I get between 27-33 mpg depending if I'm driving on the highway or in the city. I'm a neat freak because I was a detail shop manager for years. The neon would be better if the seat fabric was better and could be cleaned easier. The trim moldings fade really easily too. I bought the car for what the dealership paid and it's value is dropping daily. Overall it is a really good dependable car, but the re-sale isn't there. If you're looking for a really basic, reliable car I would say buy a neon. If your a resale buyer I would stay away from it.

Cute But Fragile
By Michele on 04/24/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car does not fare well in accidents, even minor fender benders. My car was totaled in a 35 mph collision that caused both airbags to release. Repairs to the fragile exterior were expensive and negated the savings of the initial purchase price. The car handles well, though, and has s spunky little engine.