Used 2004 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

DO NOT BUY
By blahblah7

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It was fun to drive, quick little car. BUT, It fell apart, right around 100, 000 kms everything goes wrong, like the tire rod, cam shaft sensor, o2 sensor and many many more. I had so many problems. I just really want to warn everyone and anyone to not buy this car, it will only be a head ache. save yourself and get a honda

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

quality, reliability, and overall better the car

good at times.. horrible at times
By jay9544

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i got this car with 95,000 miles and now have 132,000 thats it for now i dont plant on driving it anymore. The ECU is done.. I dont think its worth the money to fix this car. I have already replaced the transmission and the cam shaft sensor. I have changed the oil and filter religiously since i have gotten it. I just bought some new tires as well. In the end the car is decent looking for its size and pretty comfortable for a big guy like me even. But it is horrible quality and uses horrible parts.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

meh its an american car, they dont care about quality.

So far so good!
By aaronrdavis

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Had this baby for little over 2 years and I love it, not sure what most people are complaint about if you keep up with normal maintenance it should be fine in my two years of owning it I've put almost 30,000 miles on it and haven't had a thing go wrong with it except changing the battery. Great car to start with as long as its an 02 or newer neon. I'll agree with the others, I wish they kept making it I would buy another one :)

Favorite Features

Sporty exterior and interior look was about 19 when I got it so I thought it was awesome as I had added window tint, an exhaust tip, and a system in it with LEDs to match the cars color made this car amazing

Suggested Improvements

Only improvements is probably the transmission cuz it doesn't shift real well, mileage could be better for as small as the car is lol over love it though

Neon not safe
By drummer69

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I keep hearing about the Dodeg Neon that it's a fun, safe little car. Well, I'm here to tell you that's it's not. Anyone who thinks that this car is safe, needs to listen to me. My girlfriend was driving a Neon when she was T boned hit broadside on the passanger side when she was driving, and she was killed instantly. The car crumbled up like a tin car. The biggest piece of crap that was ever made. The unsafest car ever made, period!

Favorite Features

None, it a BIG piece of SHIT!

Suggested Improvements

Scrap them all, if you get hit, you're dead!

Great first car, but do your research.
By wneville

2004 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT in March of 2011 while I was living down in Georgia, and the car had a little over 90,000 miles on it. The gas mileage was great, as it averaged about 28 miles per gallon on the city and about 35 miles on the highway. It served its purpose, as it was not only a commuter car, but I drove it 2000 miles back to Montana comfortably, with no problems. The car never burned oil. My underlying problems, however, was that I had to replace the motor mounts, and the check oil light came on soon after I bought the car. I also had to change the alignment twice. This is all before 100,000 miles. The suspension wasn't great, as it felt it was metal on metal at times.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and handling are about it. It's a great first car for somebody; however, it's a vehicle you shouldn't consider owning through the long term, unless you enjoy working on cars.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't think the Dart, which is the Neon's predecessor, is a big improvement. Dodge cars aren't built with the quality of Chrysler or Jeep vehicles. Anyway, I am glad I sold this Neon before more problems started to occur. I spent half of the cost in maintenance, such as batteries, tires, motor mounts, oil changes, transmission flushes, alignments, all in the first and only year I owned the vehicle.