Used 2004 Dodge Neon SE Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Best Car I Ever Owned!!!
By Mr L

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the '04 SE base new as a "leftover" in 2005 for $11,200. Although i had good credit the dealer told me it wasn't good enough (720) and charged me 2 extra points at the very end of the deal. I had already sold my old car so i needed it. After i figured how much money they screwed me for i vowed never to visit the dealer again. Guess what? I didn't have to! Now it is July 2016 and the Neon has 209K miles on it and has only broken down once. The nylon clip that holds the shifter to the cable under the boot fell off or broke. The repair was $125 total including $65 for towing. I have kept up with all the maintenance (timing belts, fluid changes, strut changes,etc.) and i would take the car on a 5,000 mile round trip tomorrow if i needed to. I am 6 foot 4 tall and age 56. The car is comfortable to drive and sit in for long drives. I love the manual transmission as i consider myself a spirited driver and 2nd and 3rd gear pull really good although i don't have a tachometer. Although i live in the south i have driven in deep snow in NH and good quality tires help. The only recommendation i can make is to change the coolant every 2 years vs. 5. I think i replaced an o2 sensor and a knock sensor in 2012. The a/c works great although summer mpg's are about 25 and winter is 30 or 32. Book value now is about $1000 but i couldn't buy one this well maintained for the price. I will say if mine gets totaled for any reason i would probably buy another one. New car prices are ridiculous and i don't ever want to finance a car again. I will keep it until the wheels fall off. Even if the motor blows i might just buy another motor. I still see a few 1st generation Neon's driving around; how many miles are on them?

Surprisingly reliable
By just me

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband bought this car new before we met. Personally, I wouldn't have figured a Dodge to be all that reliable. But he looked pretty hot in his black sporty car. So I married him! (just kidding, mostly) I'm pleased to say this car has been extremely reliable. No major mechanical work - maintenance costs only. The 6 CD changer died after only a couple of years. The hook securing the driver side sun visor broke. We started to get uncomfortable in this car with the arrival of our daughter. Exercise stroller doesn't fit in the trunk. Hard to get baby in and out - have bumped her head countless times. Three adults and a baby is almost excruciating for the adult in the back.

Econo Dodge
By Sheena

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a wonderful bright red neon. Unfortunately I got in an accident (not my fault) a couple weeks ago and due to the low value of the car the small damage to it totaled the car. Although, my car was hit and it spun a 180 and ran into a curb and all I've got is a bruise on my leg. Pretty good I'd say. If you're a safe driver and you want something reliable and cute with great mpg, get a neon (especially if you're a bit low on cash). I only had the base model and it was a great little car.

speed and handling, mpg, snazzy design, reliable.

kinda loud inside (especially on frway), value depreciates real quick.

Not ever again
By Misery

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Neon brand new with only 10 miles on it. I wanted a safe car for my family. I have a infant. The car rode great. All the ammenities were great. A little small when traveling, but overall it's good. Six months after owning my car I got into a little "finder bender" or at least I thought it was little. I hit a Camry from behind, scratched their bumper and totalled my car. YES TOTALLED!! These cars are not very safe. I wasn't even going over 20 mph. I am just lucky that my son nor I were hurt. I would never buy a Neon again.

Sound system was awesome.

Make this car stronger before someone gets killed in a minor accident.

Good for the money... I guess
By DarkPoter

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the car 2 years ago because I needed something more reliable to drive to work. It has done a fair job for much, much less then a Mazda.

Its a quite good looking car, is much more stable on the highway then the older model. Seems more durable then my 95 was.

I should'nt have to change my spark plugs every 9000 miles to have a steady idle. It came with the worst tires I have ever owned, by far. Base model should come with a trunk lever, I would prefer that to the second mirror. TILT STEERING!!!