Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews - 298 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Been Amazing for the 8 years I have had this car.
By Amanda

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used back in 2008, with about 33k miles on it. Now it is 2016 and only at 119k. Was mostly for college and getting to all my jobs during that time. Now I am out of college, with a good paying job, and I could buy a new or used car that is up to date and shiny, but the Neon is still going. I have never had to repair a single thing motor/engine wise except for the timing belt (obvious maintenance) which I made sure to do around 90k or a little earlier (not sure exactly when). My car has even been hit by drunk drivers and many idiots and yet still holds strong after body repair.

The only issues I have had was the sunroof and leaking. It went off the track and broke. Instead of getting it fixed, I just had a body shop place the roof back in and remove the fuse that allowed it to open and close. It leaks around the sunroof, and weirdly around the passenger side area where the feet go. I think its just blocked up and moves into the floor.

Besides its lack of physical beauty at this age in the game, it has done me very well and I will drive this car until the wheels fall off. :}

Honest Opinion
By Vinh

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this car has served me well. I bought it brand new back in highschool ,in 2004 for 11k that's including taxes. When I first got it the O2 sensor needed to be replace which isn't a good sign around 20k. Luckily it was still under warranty. Since then there has been no major issues until now but right now at 220k its expected. At the moment, the reverse cable probably has to be replaced or at least one of the pins or bushing. The drive shaft also needs to be replaced which is normal for the a vehicle with the amount of mileage this car has. Both issues occurred around 219-220k. I had to replace the CAM sensor at 110k and oil switch at 185k. Changed the battery twice .Other than that no major issues. I have drove this car from -CA-TX-MT and CA-FL with no problems. I hit a deer at 40mph with only hood, fender, bumper damage, but nothing was damaged under the hood.
The car gets good MPG on the highway but not too good mpg for its class in the city. I usually get between 35-44 on the highway and 25-29 in the city. Since its high mileage the values have been 25/35 unless I go on a long distance trip. The interior looks good the only thing a bit worn out is the arm rest and front driver seat.Acceleration and handling is also good and I do like the tow capacity this vehicle has. Overall I got my moneys worth but at this point its time to move on.

only worth $300 maximum
By kristin

2004 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2011. I knew it was old at the time and maybe the dealership played a big role in why I am giving this car such a bad review. All four tires needed replacing after 1 month. A couple months later i had to replace the battery. A short time after that, i had to get the engine flushed. Breaks went out. At random times it would not shift into drive and when it finally did it would jolt forward. Half the time it would not start. The check engine light would come on at random times as well and it would stall out every time i got past 10 mph. I paid it off after all the hell it put me through and then it just shut down and would not start again. I had every intention of driving it for the remainder of my stay in college (which was only 1 year) and then trade it in for a new car. Instead i ended up trading it in (for $300) and getting yet another used car that i really could not afford. This was probably a great car 11 years ago, but i would not recommend it to anyone now days.

Lasts forever
By 5speedmanual3

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totaled my first 03 Sxt with 240,000 miles on it but I bet she could have gone way longer. Then bought an 04 R/T with 100,000 on it for a great price it now has 136000 and I love it, I don't babg this thing either its seen many track days and the shifts are still great love the car
And I get about 30 mog city and almost 40 highway

The manual trans.

Cupholder for rear seats

I love this car!
By spooledup

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't get enough of this car. I've owned it for a little over 5 years and now have over 170,000 miles. It still runs smooth as it did with 65,000 miles and I've never had an issue with the car other than regular maintenance. I've changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch/fork, spark plugs, oil, and cam shaft sensor twice, battery and tires. That's it! All those things would need to be changed on any car so I would say this car is extremely reliable. It's never once left me stranded, and I don't drive like a grandma either. Speaking of which, the performance of this car is amazing. My car is still stock and I've beat everything from ls1 camaros, to evo's and sti's.

Reliability, performance, price, maintenance cost and fuel mileage.

Turning radius and a dash that doesn't crack in the sun.