My very first new car
By Gil Davis on
2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car after owning a full- sized Dodge van. I'm 6'3" tall, about 340 pounds...and I FIT! My girlfriend has a Hyundai and I'm cramped. I've taken the Neon on long road trips, the AC is FANTASTIC, get a little better than posted mileage (about 34 on a 4sp auto) on road trips, and have had no problems, other than some annoyances when it was new that were fixed immediately by the dealer. Because of the engine design (short piston skirts to save weight), however, it does tend to get a bit of piston slap when it's really cold outside, but it does go away in about 30 seconds or so after the car idles. Not harmful, just annoying. It gets lots of attention when it does that! :-)
Favorite Features
Unbelievable air conditioning/heating, great stock stereo, sufficiently large cupholders (there are 4 and one will hold a 44oz cup).
Suggested Improvements
Needed a bit more power, but it's fair. I've had problems getting the last 2 gallons of gas in the tank, it doesn't seem to like to fill completely. When the nozzle kicks off, it's only just about 7/8 full. Takes a while to get another 2 gallons in. That even leaves the required air space. Hmmm...