Used 2003 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Fun & Cheap
By larry s

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car cost me $11,500 about $6 grand LESS than a Honda Civic! OK it doesn't hold it's value like a Honda...picky, picky. So far the car has been great, but the last review scared me(electrical short at 50K miles). Dodge has a nasty habit of not taking care of customer problems after warranty over and not fixing them on a timely basis. I say this because I also own a 98 Neon Sport(150HP engine). The early Neons (first 3 model years especially) had engine head gasket oil leaks due to imperfection in metal, not the gasket. Too many customers had to pay $600 to over $1000 to get it fixed. Dodge needs to fix design flaws at no charge or it's going to lose customers like me.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration with manual tran, roominess, radio/CD, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but ain't bad unless you have a lead foot on the gas pedal.

Beware at 50k
By jb

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was an absolute steal when I got it and I had it dubbed as the best compact I've ever owned and I've had em all. Until 50k - major short in the electrical system causes brainbox fuse to blow during, now get this rt hand turns only! 30 labor hours already (800.00) invested and still no one can find the fix. Can't wait until its repaired and back to normal because it was a great car until 50k.

Favorite Features

Seats, body style, ride and handling, sound system

Suggested Improvements

A 5/60 warranty is the only way I'd buy another one come on Dodge step up to the plate like your competition. Hyundai,Mazda,Kia,aren't afraid to stand by there products!

Neon Love
By Neon Love

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 2 time owner of the Neon R/T model. First was a 99 R/T sedan, which I loved. The car was great, only issue was the head gasket. Now I've had my 03 for over a year and I'm as in love with this car more and more every day. Reliability GREAT, Looks GREAT, Performance GREAT, Options GREAT. I love to drive, but I also have a family. This car puts a smile on your face through the twisties and hulls the family in class and comfort. Class is something the 99 fell short on, but not this little lady. Buy one you won't regret it.

Favorite Features

The whole thing.

Suggested Improvements

If they would have just lowered the stance in the rear from the factory. The high stance makes all Neons look like they have a big butt.

Great car, needs more juice
By Tallman

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off, this car is definitely worth the money, just for interior space alone. I'm somewhere in the 6'7" to 6'8" range and I still fit comfortably (albeit with the seat all the way back and tilted a bit). I've also driven it about 33,000 miles and no problems at all other than the occasional flat (weird tire size, Walmart doesn't even carry them). This car's one main drawback is it's not very quick off the line, no real torque. Luckily, the Neon is a sport compact tuner car, so lots of performance parts are made to remedy this, if you have the money for em. Speakers are incredible, I don't even have the urge to switch them out. All in all, a great car for the money.

Favorite Features

Great use of interior space, comfortable seats, incredible sound, reasonable price. The mileage is pretty close to advertised, too. Manual tranny is a lot of fun (a bit soggy, but not bad).

Suggested Improvements

More power. This thing looks like it can really move, if only it could get some low end torque. As other people say, the A-frame is too wide, hurts forward visibility. Breaks need to not squeak when wet. Get a normal tire size.

Better every year
By Dave

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Neon. Previously owned was a '95 sedan and '97 coupe. My excellent owner's experience with them in the past prompted me to buy this '03 SXT and I'm glad I did. For 38,000+ miles it's been near flawless. The only problems were the result of a minor accident and the subsequent improper repairs by the body shop which have since been corrected. The only option my car does not have is the engine block heater...seriously. The only option I required was ABS as it's a VAST improvement over the standard non-ABS brakes. I wish it had a 5 speed for a little better performance but the new 4 speed auto is decent and much improved over the old 3 speed. Overall, best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Interior room is at the top of the list. I'm 6'2" and even with the sunroof option, I fit just fine. Trunk room is great. Ease of routine maintanence and how the car responds to performance mods is definitely a plus.

Suggested Improvements

Engine vibration is still a minor issue with these things. It's not in the league of the older Saturn SL series...but it's close. Paint could be a bit more durable. More horsepower is always nice.