Used 2003 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Fun to drive
By Fun to drive

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a 2003 R/T and it's really fun to drive. Good performance from the engine, although it could use a little more power. Many aftermarket parts are available to increase horsepower if you want that though. This is a great car to drive that feels like a sports car, and at a low cost compared to others of the same type. An especially good value if you buy it used like I did, only 24,000 miles and a fraction of the original cost.

High performance engine, steering and braking ability.

Lowered body, larger wheels, wider tires. Since they're not making Neons anymore, this won't happen. The SRT-4 had larger tires and wheels that should have been standard on the R/T.

Fun & Cheap
By larry s

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car cost me $11,500 about $6 grand LESS than a Honda Civic! OK it doesn't hold it's value like a Honda...picky, picky. So far the car has been great, but the last review scared me(electrical short at 50K miles). Dodge has a nasty habit of not taking care of customer problems after warranty over and not fixing them on a timely basis. I say this because I also own a 98 Neon Sport(150HP engine). The early Neons (first 3 model years especially) had engine head gasket oil leaks due to imperfection in metal, not the gasket. Too many customers had to pay $600 to over $1000 to get it fixed. Dodge needs to fix design flaws at no charge or it's going to lose customers like me.

Handling, acceleration with manual tran, roominess, radio/CD, styling.

Gas mileage could be better, but ain't bad unless you have a lead foot on the gas pedal.

Beware at 50k
By jb

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was an absolute steal when I got it and I had it dubbed as the best compact I've ever owned and I've had em all. Until 50k - major short in the electrical system causes brainbox fuse to blow during, now get this rt hand turns only! 30 labor hours already (800.00) invested and still no one can find the fix. Can't wait until its repaired and back to normal because it was a great car until 50k.

Seats, body style, ride and handling, sound system

A 5/60 warranty is the only way I'd buy another one come on Dodge step up to the plate like your competition. Hyundai,Mazda,Kia,aren't afraid to stand by there products!

Neon Love
By Neon Love

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 2 time owner of the Neon R/T model. First was a 99 R/T sedan, which I loved. The car was great, only issue was the head gasket. Now I've had my 03 for over a year and I'm as in love with this car more and more every day. Reliability GREAT, Looks GREAT, Performance GREAT, Options GREAT. I love to drive, but I also have a family. This car puts a smile on your face through the twisties and hulls the family in class and comfort. Class is something the 99 fell short on, but not this little lady. Buy one you won't regret it.

The whole thing.

If they would have just lowered the stance in the rear from the factory. The high stance makes all Neons look like they have a big butt.

Great car, needs more juice
By Tallman

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off, this car is definitely worth the money, just for interior space alone. I'm somewhere in the 6'7" to 6'8" range and I still fit comfortably (albeit with the seat all the way back and tilted a bit). I've also driven it about 33,000 miles and no problems at all other than the occasional flat (weird tire size, Walmart doesn't even carry them). This car's one main drawback is it's not very quick off the line, no real torque. Luckily, the Neon is a sport compact tuner car, so lots of performance parts are made to remedy this, if you have the money for em. Speakers are incredible, I don't even have the urge to switch them out. All in all, a great car for the money.

Great use of interior space, comfortable seats, incredible sound, reasonable price. The mileage is pretty close to advertised, too. Manual tranny is a lot of fun (a bit soggy, but not bad).

More power. This thing looks like it can really move, if only it could get some low end torque. As other people say, the A-frame is too wide, hurts forward visibility. Breaks need to not squeak when wet. Get a normal tire size.