2003 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
My very first new car
By Gil Davis on 10/05/06 11:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning a full- sized Dodge van. I'm 6'3" tall, about 340 pounds...and I FIT! My girlfriend has a Hyundai and I'm cramped. I've taken the Neon on long road trips, the AC is FANTASTIC, get a little better than posted mileage (about 34 on a 4sp auto) on road trips, and have had no problems, other than some annoyances when it was new that were fixed immediately by the dealer. Because of the engine design (short piston skirts to save weight), however, it does tend to get a bit of piston slap when it's really cold outside, but it does go away in about 30 seconds or so after the car idles. Not harmful, just annoying. It gets lots of attention when it does that! :-)

So far so good
By Jay on 08/04/06 23:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Make sure you buy the stick shift in this model. The automatic is really slow. Driving this model with the stick has been great. It more than keeps up with similar vehiles in this class. Haven't had one single problem with the engine. Gas mileage is great, getting over 32mpg

Perfect so far
By cometogene on 05/17/06 07:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it sight unseen for sticker price when they first came out. Never even drove one, but I figured how could I go wrong for the price. Man was I right. Smokes almost everything on the road for $20K! Best purchase I ever made.

Daily commute rocks!
By Eric on 04/29/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We paid over MSRP in April 2003 when these just came out. We weren't planning on a new car, but I was compelled by the performance and my wife had the same reaction to the styling. (Ours is yellow). We took a test drive, and the first thing we noticed is that this is NOT a Neon. The build was very tight. Special attention went into these cars. With limited production, Dodge wanted to make a statement. The SRT line was unveiled And we had to have it. Words to describe this car: Practical, economical, exhilarating, and reliable. We had to justify using this as a family car. A) the back seat was very roomy, and the trunk was spacious. B.) We get 29-30 MPG hwy and 25-26 daily driving.

Fun to drive
By Fun to drive on 03/13/06 18:57 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a 2003 R/T and it's really fun to drive. Good performance from the engine, although it could use a little more power. Many aftermarket parts are available to increase horsepower if you want that though. This is a great car to drive that feels like a sports car, and at a low cost compared to others of the same type. An especially good value if you buy it used like I did, only 24,000 miles and a fraction of the original cost.

Fun & Cheap
By larry s on 01/06/06 04:32 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car cost me $11,500 about $6 grand LESS than a Honda Civic! OK it doesn't hold it's value like a Honda...picky, picky. So far the car has been great, but the last review scared me(electrical short at 50K miles). Dodge has a nasty habit of not taking care of customer problems after warranty over and not fixing them on a timely basis. I say this because I also own a 98 Neon Sport(150HP engine). The early Neons (first 3 model years especially) had engine head gasket oil leaks due to imperfection in metal, not the gasket. Too many customers had to pay $600 to over $1000 to get it fixed. Dodge needs to fix design flaws at no charge or it's going to lose customers like me.

Beware at 50k
By jb on 12/01/05 14:54 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was an absolute steal when I got it and I had it dubbed as the best compact I've ever owned and I've had em all. Until 50k - major short in the electrical system causes brainbox fuse to blow during, now get this rt hand turns only! 30 labor hours already (800.00) invested and still no one can find the fix. Can't wait until its repaired and back to normal because it was a great car until 50k.

Neon Love
By Neon Love on 11/23/05 17:00 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 2 time owner of the Neon R/T model. First was a 99 R/T sedan, which I loved. The car was great, only issue was the head gasket. Now I've had my 03 for over a year and I'm as in love with this car more and more every day. Reliability GREAT, Looks GREAT, Performance GREAT, Options GREAT. I love to drive, but I also have a family. This car puts a smile on your face through the twisties and hulls the family in class and comfort. Class is something the 99 fell short on, but not this little lady. Buy one you won't regret it.

Great car, needs more juice
By Tallman on 10/12/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First off, this car is definitely worth the money, just for interior space alone. I'm somewhere in the 6'7" to 6'8" range and I still fit comfortably (albeit with the seat all the way back and tilted a bit). I've also driven it about 33,000 miles and no problems at all other than the occasional flat (weird tire size, Walmart doesn't even carry them). This car's one main drawback is it's not very quick off the line, no real torque. Luckily, the Neon is a sport compact tuner car, so lots of performance parts are made to remedy this, if you have the money for em. Speakers are incredible, I don't even have the urge to switch them out. All in all, a great car for the money.

Better every year
By Dave on 09/07/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Neon. Previously owned was a '95 sedan and '97 coupe. My excellent owner's experience with them in the past prompted me to buy this '03 SXT and I'm glad I did. For 38,000+ miles it's been near flawless. The only problems were the result of a minor accident and the subsequent improper repairs by the body shop which have since been corrected. The only option my car does not have is the engine block heater...seriously. The only option I required was ABS as it's a VAST improvement over the standard non-ABS brakes. I wish it had a 5 speed for a little better performance but the new 4 speed auto is decent and much improved over the old 3 speed. Overall, best car I've ever owned.