2003 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Do not buy this vehicle!
By Nicole on 11/29/08 11:23 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite taking great care of my car, I've had nothing but problems with it. My brakes have needed work on multiple occasions. I've had to call AAA three times in the past 6 months alone due to the car breaking down and leaving me stranded, all at less than 55,000 miles. Dodge acknowledges there are many issues with the car's radiator, but they won't do anything to help you, even when the problematic radiator fries your transmission and needs costly repair work. My Neon has eaten 2 radiators in the past month alone, and I've given up on it at this point. Avoid this car completely unless you want to spend $500+ each year on costly repairs that a reliable vehicle wouldn't even need.

The best first car ever!
By kay on 10/15/08 15:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love, I mean love this car! wicked fun to drive, and so easy to handle. I fell for it when my eyes saw it, so cute and really reliable

Good car for the money.
By Bigfoot on 10/10/08 22:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 1 1/2+ years ago for $7500 and have put 20,000+ miles on it. Knowing what I know now would buy it again. Only problems I've had are I've had to replace the front brake pads twice already. I put in the least expensive pads. But other than that this had been real good dependable car. Plenty of power for passing and in the hills. Decent gas mileage as I've always gotten 29-30 any time I've checked it. Also pretty comfortable car. My hip don't get stiff and sore on longer trips like it does when I drive my Jeep.

a great little car
By neonguy528 on 07/24/08 10:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 03 neon new 9-02. I baby this car because I work hard for my money and want it to last. I love this car. This car design inspired many copycats from other companies. The new mazdas for one. In 6 years I have been stranded once with a busted alternator belt at 58,000 miles. I have had 5 or 6 times where the car has lost power while driving. My mechanic has checked it out and could not find anything wrong on the diagnostic machine. He said it was probably a glitch with the computer. I have 61,000 miles now and it is running perfect. I do need front control arm bushings. I love my neon and will never part with it. It has been a great car. And money well spent. I get 24-29 city. 39 or more hwy.

Never a problem
By hardrock086 on 06/13/08 09:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a year ago and have put 30,000 miles on it since I purchased. I got it with 35k and the only maintenance I've really had to do was oil changes. I also did plugs and wired at 60k and rear brake, but thats all. They didn't really have to be done, but did them anyway. I'm a service technician and a BMW shop and I love my neon. Do want a little more pep, but can't complain about the get- up and go with this car, especially considering the 39 mpg I get on road trips. Simply love this car!

Don't buy a dodge
By shawn on 06/03/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had to replace both front wheel bearings at 34,000 74,000 and 100,000 miles. Thats right 3 times. Transmission and radiator at 90,000 pads and rotors 3 times and many check engine light problems

Bad Reviews?
By larry s. on 05/25/08 07:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Can't understand the bad reviews on this car. The 5 speed manual is plenty quick; yet, some say performance ain't good? I get 30+ mpg on highway. Brand new the car cost me $11,000. Not many cars were cheaper in 2003 (except junk cars like a Yugo)! I have 58,000 mi. on it, highest cost item to repair was $320 for front end bushings. No new brakes, yet one post says brakes are poor? I also have a 98 Neon Sport with 73,000 (60% highway) on it, no new brakes yet!! With gas prices at $4+ a gallon, Dodge dumped the Neon for a mini SUV that's $7,000 more, lower mpg, boxy looking?? They're building very low mpg muscle cars and trucks that cost $1,000's more in gas a year?? Bring back the Neon!

Not the best of luck I guess
By KaylaG on 05/06/08 16:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow. This car was great in the beginning. After about 40k miles it crapped out on me. Countless visits to the repair shop for my transmission, my engine lights always popping on, and new brakes about a million times, let me not forget the gas tank too little doesn't hold nothin! Oh and the darn thing has no oomph doesn't like to go! There's only a few things that I can actually say good about it. The sound systems great! And its cute.

Great lil car
By lil red on 04/04/08 16:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car could ask for a better quality car. I'm disappointed they stopped making them.

great car!
By AC on 03/15/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car! Bought it with 32 miles on it and have enjoyed it immensely. I had had a Honda Accord, followed by a minivan (3 boys) and I was ready for a fun car for myself again. I looked at Hondas but for the mileage I put on them, needed lots of room for many years of ownership. I have only done routine maintenance and tires (brakes done this year). It's small so my extra large husband doesn't like it at all but that is ok with me. I get 37 mpg on my road trips to visit family 500 miles away and around 30 in town. I need a better vehicle in snow, however, and am going to trade in for a small SUV. I'll miss the gas mileage, but this is NOT a snow car!