Used 2003 Dodge Neon SXT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Nothing but tranny issues
By thatoneguy09

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new toward the end of 2002. Drove fine for the first 1 1/2 years then started having tranny problems. Would jerk real hard when down shifting almost locking the front tires up. Dealer replaced every internal part and the problem still wasn't fixed. Took it back about 2 months later and they said they could not find anything wrong. Well another 4 months or so and it started it again this time it was the harness and they replace it. Well another 3-4mths it had again. they replace the speed sensor and harness. and now for the 10th time total they are replacing all internals in the tranny again. Do not buy this car used.

Favorite Features

Decent stereo, good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better tranny

Work Horse
By Ellonen

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have put 145K (mostly highway) miles on it so far. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Normal maintenance ie change timing belt at 100K, regular oil changes etc. Fun to drive. Now working in rural area and car is handling the rough terrain and dirt roads without a problem.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Comfortable. Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Why manual back seat windows?

Do not buy this vehicle!
By Nicole

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Despite taking great care of my car, I've had nothing but problems with it. My brakes have needed work on multiple occasions. I've had to call AAA three times in the past 6 months alone due to the car breaking down and leaving me stranded, all at less than 55,000 miles. Dodge acknowledges there are many issues with the car's radiator, but they won't do anything to help you, even when the problematic radiator fries your transmission and needs costly repair work. My Neon has eaten 2 radiators in the past month alone, and I've given up on it at this point. Avoid this car completely unless you want to spend $500+ each year on costly repairs that a reliable vehicle wouldn't even need.

Favorite Features

It's affordable for a college student who needs to watch their budget. The gas mileage and sound system are decent.

Suggested Improvements

Well, they stopped making the vehicle - that should tell you something right there. This car is a great example as to why the American auto industry is doing so poorly.

a great little car
By neonguy528

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 03 neon new 9-02. I baby this car because I work hard for my money and want it to last. I love this car. This car design inspired many copycats from other companies. The new mazdas for one. In 6 years I have been stranded once with a busted alternator belt at 58,000 miles. I have had 5 or 6 times where the car has lost power while driving. My mechanic has checked it out and could not find anything wrong on the diagnostic machine. He said it was probably a glitch with the computer. I have 61,000 miles now and it is running perfect. I do need front control arm bushings. I love my neon and will never part with it. It has been a great car. And money well spent. I get 24-29 city. 39 or more hwy.

Favorite Features

the looks.it is just plain sporty.the rear spoiler really makes the neon stand out in a crowd.it is still after all these years a head turner.

Suggested Improvements

power rear windows would have been nice.

Bad Reviews?
By larry s.

2003 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Can't understand the bad reviews on this car. The 5 speed manual is plenty quick; yet, some say performance ain't good? I get 30+ mpg on highway. Brand new the car cost me $11,000. Not many cars were cheaper in 2003 (except junk cars like a Yugo)! I have 58,000 mi. on it, highest cost item to repair was $320 for front end bushings. No new brakes, yet one post says brakes are poor? I also have a 98 Neon Sport with 73,000 (60% highway) on it, no new brakes yet!! With gas prices at $4+ a gallon, Dodge dumped the Neon for a mini SUV that's $7,000 more, lower mpg, boxy looking?? They're building very low mpg muscle cars and trucks that cost $1,000's more in gas a year?? Bring back the Neon!

Favorite Features

Low price, great mpg, cute

Suggested Improvements

Neon's been scrapped. Hope they build the concept car (Demon), which would be a competitor for Mazda Miata (small sport convertible), doubt it will happen cause Dodge love's BIG HEMI V- 8's that get 12mpg, go figure at sky high gas costs!!