2003 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Why would Dodge get rid of em?!
By Matt on 01/04/10 11:56 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car for a very short time but it's amazing on gas, has a sporty look with just a little kick to it! I previously owned an 01 Sebring and I loved it but it fell apart and I had to get rid of it. If your looking for a small fuel efficient car with sporty looks and handles like a Luxury car than the Dodge neon is just for you!

THink Before you buy this Problem....
By John on 12/18/09 09:51 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car in 2003 BRAND NEW...No problems the 1st 40k miles, different story after that. We had to have a new transmission/radiator at 63k miles, then the car completely fell apart after that, seriously every month there was something else breaking...suspension/ignition/cooling system. This was BY FAR the worst car we ever owned....If you want a cheap car, consider a civic or corolla because in the long run, you will POUR MONEY into this car... We will be trading it in december 09 to buy a honda. I WOULD NOT recommend anyone buy a neon that has over 60k miles on it(dodge strategically made the powertrain warranty 50k)

Great Car...if you upgrade
By Jeff on 08/30/09 21:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for three years now. Bought it with 44,000 miles on it and have taken it to 100,000. Really fun car to drive. As an experienced mech, i new that dodge parts are not even close to par, so i installed aftermarket parts for nearly every system on the car. Costly yes, but well worth it. The only original parts that have had to be replaced due to fault are the Cam position sensor (which all dodges are notorious for), EVAP canister(naturally due to mileage), and the timing belt(again, naturally due to mileage). Other than that, great car for the price. I would suggest you are at least somewhat of an experienced mech though. Parts are SOOOO cheap for this car. Labor is not.

Why did they discontinue the Neon?
By Dodge Man! on 07/31/09 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new when the 2004 were coming out. Got a great deal from the dealership in Gurnee, Illinois. The car has been very reliable with regular maintenance. I have 145,000 miles on it and just got it paid off last year. I use this as a commuter car and I have a newer family car Subaru, Tribeca for longer trips. I plan on driving the Neon until the wheels fall off for commuting 65 miles one way to work. I was going to have the timing belt changed at 100000 miles but I was told it didn't need to be replaced. Only major repair was the clutch at 90000 miles for 800 bucks.

Good car for me.
By Sami on 06/30/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new at the beginning of 2003, now have 110000 miles on it. Haven't had to much trouble with it in 6 years, had transmission replaced at 60002 miles under warranty, had to have steer rack replace six months ago since there was a loose passenger side tie rod(it was probably from hit a curb in a parking lot several years), and am currently have the alternator replaced. I'm not one to keep up with the maintenance schedule, fix it as it needs it. Most of the few other things that I have done are all normal things that wear out with mileage. Over all been very reliable, did have to have in towed a couple of weeks ago, one of the original rear brakes locked up, but it has been 110,000 miles.

A good first new car...
By JB on 04/19/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Neon new in 2003, and for the most part, enjoyed it. I've had some rough idling issues which were covered under the powertrain warranty, but other than that no major repairs. Considering I spend about $12,000 for the car, it's been well worth the money. I'd definitely take a look at this car if you're looking for a commute vehicle. I probably average about 28 mpg with 85% highway/15% city driving. Not bad at all!

My 2nd Neon
By ski1981 on 02/28/09 18:07 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this vehicle used with 62,127mi on it at a dealer my older sister boyfriend works at, so i got a really good deal on it. My 1st Neon was a 97 Highlight and its life ended around 238k give or take 5k so, I thought I might get lucky with this as well.....omg, I was WRONG!! The heater was not working right, so i took to Dodge(it was still under warranty) they claimed it was the thermostat, but in the process of replacing this thermostat they broke a senser on the intake manifold which made the car idle very high, but they fix that. I STILL HAVE NO HEATER!!! I had to replace the radio about 4weeks after all of that drama. she has been good to me but I will be trading up some for a VW.

Nothing but tranny issues
By thatoneguy09 on 02/08/09 10:46 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new toward the end of 2002. Drove fine for the first 1 1/2 years then started having tranny problems. Would jerk real hard when down shifting almost locking the front tires up. Dealer replaced every internal part and the problem still wasn't fixed. Took it back about 2 months later and they said they could not find anything wrong. Well another 4 months or so and it started it again this time it was the harness and they replace it. Well another 3-4mths it had again. they replace the speed sensor and harness. and now for the 10th time total they are replacing all internals in the tranny again. Do not buy this car used.

Work Horse
By Ellonen on 12/20/08 06:47 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have put 145K (mostly highway) miles on it so far. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Normal maintenance ie change timing belt at 100K, regular oil changes etc. Fun to drive. Now working in rural area and car is handling the rough terrain and dirt roads without a problem.

My first car was a disaster
By acd88 on 12/01/08 19:14 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car to get to work and college. Bought a used 2003 Dodge Neon from dealership with 54,000 miles on it. Ran great for the first few months. Then it idled rough so I replaced spark plugs and wires. Ran good for a while. Had trans flushed at 62,000 miles and things went downhill. Radiator ruptured two months later. Trans fluid leaked out, coolant fluid contaminated the trans. Replaced radiator. At 68,500 miles had AAMCO inspect it. Said trans was good but needed to replace motor mounts.The day before Thanksgiving the transmission went(71,000 miles) Mechanic says the coolant fluid that got in the trans, destroyed it. Thought it would be an easy maintenance first car. Boy was I wrong!