Used 2003 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Great car!
By prodigit

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for $3000 for my wife, second hand with 95k miles on it. We've been driving it for 6k miles, without a single major problem (some minor mechanical issues, but nothing worth mentioning).

The car was banged up in the back, and declared a total loss, but some mechanic patched her up, and she drove like a queen!

I have the automatic, not the manual.

Fuel efficient motor, power, fast acceleration, fun to drive, everything is just at the right place, interior doesn't look like crappy plastic, reliability, motor is dependable!, fits a 6'3" driver perfectly, aerodynamic body, airco can keep up with hot sun (for more airco drive in 3 instead of D, allows the RPM's to climb, and the airco to do it's job). Nearly flooring the pedal upshifts gear, flooring the pedal upshifts 2 gears (going from 2,5k RPM to 4,5kRPM), higher torque band above 3K RPM, peak torque between 4,5 and 5k RPM.

Radio and speakers, transmission tends to fluxuate rpms on the highways (do know it has nearly 100k miles on it); steering wheel not telescopic, speedometer too high for my comfort(hidden behind steering wheel). To keep driving in 4th gear instead of 5th (eg on a climb), you'll have to keep the accelerator pedal down, and motor consumes more that way (accelerating too much, while it can't keep up in 5th gear).

Takes a licking
By khowicz

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 brand new in January 04 with 300 miles on it.
I was 22 and drove it hard...and drove it everywhere.
This car has been on many road trips all over the US, I did not keep up with the scheduled maintenance, aside from oil changes,
I've been in a couple accidents, and I still have had no major problems that I didn't cause myself.
It has almost 200,000 miles on it now. After 7 years, I've only had to replace tie rods and the struts, and I am now having some suspension issues, which I need to get checked out..... but like I said, I was not careful with it at all for a couple years.
If you need a reliable car that gets good mpg, then I would suggest a neon!

reliability, low-cost maintenance, mpg

I wish Chrysler still made them8-(
By jaidee22

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Neon SXT in May 2003. I still drive it every day - it has been the BEST car I have ever had. Aside from normal maintainence, it owes me nothing. 132,000 and still going..LOVE my car. Still gets 33-35mpg, faithfully. And NO RUST. I wish they still made this car. I have been looking for another one and cannot find one...huuummm wonder why?? Because they are keepers, thats why!

Was the only car in its class in its year that held my daughters car seat without the front seat against her legs...lots of room in the back seat. I use it as my "city truck" and have hauled lots of stuff most Neon owners would not. Like the head room, and the ergonomics of the interior design.

Make it again...

Nothing but problems since i bought it
By ohiomommy82

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well i just bought this car 2 months ago and its been to the mechanic 7 times, things I've had fixed have been 3 motor mounts, Brakes master cylinder, Rotors, and pads, brakes completely went out on me while on the interstate , Idler pulley, belts were replaced, tire blew out on me, Struts need replaced and now I'm starting to wonder about the tranny so not worth it.

great air conditioning and its roomy

Overall
By Michael

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle in October of 09 i have a 5-speed tranny which shifts very nicely. Acceleration is good, with plenty of torque for a small sedan. I have replaced the front factory speakers, and put subs in the back. The car is a good car for keeping the sound quality in. Not much rattling. I have not had to do any repairs on the car only changing the oil.

Red lines at 6500 rpm 5-speed 16 v engine

Make it with a bigger stock engine :)