Used 2003 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Transmission is pathetic
By larry price

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car handles well and has some pep at low speeds. Cruising on the interstate above 70 mph the car is very sluggish. The transmission has been worked on two times and the dealer service was pitifull (one dealer FORGOT to put in transmission fluid)

The gas mileage is okay, but not as good as I was expecting.

Improve the transmission reliability. Put some slack in the crusie control so that when the car goes down a hill the car does not down shift to maintain the exact speed.

Cute, but some problems
By Sportster

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car almost 2 years now. I have the Solar Yellow with a manual transmission. I bought it at the time with being a affordable car with a $3000 rebate. The car is cute, and is comfy for the long trips. I don't get near what the sticker said on gas mileage. The car has a 10 gallon tank, and I'm getting on 250 miles to tank of fuel. I'm not happy with that aspect of the car. I'm having paint problems on the body where the door closes, being worn off by the door's rubber seal on both sides. Dealership trying to give me run around saying it normal for Dodge. Whatever... I love the car, but worried it will have problems when warranty wears out. I only have 10,500 miles on this car.

The interiors dash, and cup holders. Seats are very comfy. The Solar Yellow color.

Fuel enconomy needs much improvement for a small car in this day and age. At least a 12 gallon tank. Paint is not satisfactory for a new car with only 10,500 miles

2003 Neon SE
By Nicki

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used in October of 2003 and it has had no problems. It runs smoothly & has a slightly gutsy sound when you accelerate...like a mini- muscle car. It's a great car for commuting to work, school, or just for a day around town. The only downfall with this particular model, the SE, is the little perks between the SE and the SXT. The engine and everything is the same EXCEPT for power windows/locks, paint-colored body trim mouldings, trunk release & trunk lighting. If you have the extra $2-3k, but don't want anything too expensive, go for the SXT. Either one is a good car to own.

Handling, stock speakers/stereo, comfortable seating & legroom

Trunk lighting & trunk release inside the vehicle

LOVE IT!
By Eric Waterhouse

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase, I dropped it 2 inches and put on rims, intake, and exhaust. I took it to VA and got 34-36mpg in it. The intake and exhaust really brings that little motor to life. This is my second Neon and I think I'm hooked.

Sporty looks

I must say the brake noise when wet is annoying.

Great Car
By 71charger

2003 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drove the heck out of this car for 13 months before trading it for an 04 R/T which I only did because I found out the R/Ts were discontinued. I traded an '00 Neon for the '03. Fabulous, and terribly underrated by automotive writers too heavily biased against American cars.

Excellent handling.

Use a non-oddball tire size.