Used 2002 Dodge Neon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Most Helpful|
Looks may be deceiving
By First Car

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in 2007 with 82,000 miles on it. Had problems frequently with it. First brakes, then the transmission. Engine light has always been on and off. Now engine makes a loud noise when the A/C is on. First car so i don't know what to think except the person before me beat on it. I've had the electric randomly go out on my car several times for a significant amount of time and then come back on. Car hasa mind of its own. Love the interior/exterior design. The mechanics need improvement. I probably would not ever buy a neon again based on previous experiences.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seats, traction control, looks sporty (with spoiler and rims)

Suggested Improvements

Electronics, mechanics...everything that matters. Don't buy this car used. You'll regret it. Especially now after 2009.

pc review
By 3rdneonowner

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Neon (1995 sedan & 1999 sport coupe previous). Nice body style, decent power. I am still wondering what the 4th gear is for, it doesn't seem to have much difference from the 5th gear. Like most other folks, I found the brakes to sqeak too much. The left rear drum break will rust if driven through much water and lock up the rear wheel. The car had to be flat-bedded to the dealer. They took it apart and found nothing wrong(?). It still locks up some, but not the same extent. The gas mileage is lower than my other 2 Neons, go figure. Car is dependable however, and I plan on many more miles

Favorite Features

Reasonably comfortable, decent power, no squeaks other than the brakes. It corners nice and handles pretty well. Has been very dependable with no repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge really needs to figure out the brake issue. Bring the mileage back up to what the previous Neons showed.

Little engine that could
By Redjaseak08

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed my Neon from day one, I bought it used when it had 43000 miles on it, I now have 80,300 miles on it. The only mechanical problem I have had with it has been the clutch, which was replaced for $700.00 and that was due to letting inexperienced friends drive my manual. I live in Alaska, and this car has done me well. I haven't been stuck, it has great control and still drives likes it's right off the lot. It's affordable in the following aspects, gas, inurance and general maitenance. I would reccomend this car to anyone who needs a commuter car or just an everyday ride.

Favorite Features

Control on and off the highway. Heater works great which is good for Alaska. Great gas mileage, I fuel up on average every 385 miles thats city mixed with highway.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see comfy seating, the seats they have in it are too stiff and hurt your back and seat after long drives.

02 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
By andrew30947

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I said it is an automatic and Dodge made a programming error in the Neon's automatic transmission so that's about the only problem. I bought MJ this year with 83K miles (now 90k) when I bought the car I had no experience in the mechanics and if I had I wouldn't have bought THAT Neon BUT I am glad I did. If you like paying people to fix your car, do not buy a Neon. If you can fix things on your own get it. MJ has been through a LOT (off road, 3 or 4 wrecks, and a half country trip) but she keeps going, I did pay quite a bit to fix her up but a lot was the previous owner (the wrecks were limited to suspension damage and a cracked rim) since the complete fix I haven't spent a dime.

Favorite Features

I didn't get to put this in the small review part, these cars ARE sturdy, my Neon has saved my life multiple times due to me being immature and tearing it around town, not to mention the times I've had to swerve to avoid things (handling). The saftey rating may be low but its been hit by one car and held up amazingly, scuffed paint, while her metal bumper was dented and she stalled. I have put performance parts into her since so gas mileage isn't really a factor to me, she now gets about 20 mpg. If you have one get a transmission rebuild from stronger parts, not stock. I haven't yet but will have to soon because Dodge made a programming error in the Neons.

Suggested Improvements

*= GET PERFORMANCE QUALITY, *transmission, *engine mounts (all three located on passenger side, upper, middle, and lower) *transmission mounts (two under battery) Since Dodge no longer makes these I wrote this for people who own or plan on owning, fix these parts and get performance engine mount inserts, the rubber on the engine mounts goes quickly and CAUSES most transmission problems these people complain about. These cars are sensitive and the engine must placed EXACTLY how it was designed, I only wish someone had told me these things, do this and I am almost 100% it will last for years (unless you race or drive erratically)

Unfortunate purchase
By rostropovich

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years, and have had problem after problem, regret upon regret. I have treated it like my firstborn, always hoping that after /this/ repair it will run well for a good long time, but no, not a chance. Got it for $2800 at 81000 miles, but put $4000 in repairs in the first year, including rotors, e-brake, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, muffler, transmission mount, shifter cables, steering tie rod and lights. It never quite felt like it was driving nicely even after repairs. The story ends with the transmission failing. UNCLE!

Favorite Features

It looks decent and the interior is okay.