Used 2002 Dodge Neon Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

dodge neon 02
By nicole30

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was great at first(80,000), but after a year with 111,000 miles on it, had to surrender to pick n pull....This car will need extra special help if you want it to last. Cheap, but not a good choice if you want a soid car.

none

extra specia transimssion care

Since 2002
By menifee3

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002. It runs incredibly fantastic. No problems since ownership. I have nearly 90K miles on it and take it into L.A. every day. Runs smooth, 35 mpg Hwy (Higher than officially rated), and an unbelievable air conditioner which I can only run on low, even on hot days, because it get's so cold in the car. The AC is better than the one in my Mercedes! While far from being a chick magnet, this car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. And I'm keeping it!

Air conditioner, reliability, gas mileage.

None. Don't mess with perfection.

Good at First...
By eamin637

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my neon almost 3 yrs ago, at first it was nice and it got me around. I got it with 79,000 miles on it. Within the first week the dash got bubbles in it. After that it ran okay, hard, long start and misfiring every once in awhile. 1st yr I had to replace the brakes, rotors, tires, and bushing cost $700. The next year just new bulbs $10. Recently before I got rid of it I had to replace the struts, tire rod, brakes again, stabilizer pin, emergency brake and radiator $900+. I had the final straw when I finished fixing all of that and the catalytic converter went out.. I was terrified of driving the car and I took good care of it with regular maintenance. I would not recommend this car.

Plenty of Cup Holders (4).

Dodge this Neon
By MrOtoko

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car w/salvage title. Owned since 04, and put 75k mi on it (113k total now). There seem to be a lot of technical problems with it, but I'm not sure if that is due to the salvage title. Can't mess with the tranny or it will go out. Most everything went out by 100k. AC is cold, but I think I have radiator fan problems so it overheats. Mechs say its an O-ring problem but they are WRONG all the time (already fixed that 3 times!!! and still overheating - even when idle and no AC on. Car was discontinued for a reason.

Cassette/Radio still flawless, trunk space, windows work, cold AC (haven't had to recharge), windshield doesn't crack when I turn the AC on.

They can't really improve now since they don't make Neons anymore, but if they were to: better transmission, engine, fewer check engine lights, a hook for passenger side mat, etc, etc.

Looks may be deceiving
By First Car

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in 2007 with 82,000 miles on it. Had problems frequently with it. First brakes, then the transmission. Engine light has always been on and off. Now engine makes a loud noise when the A/C is on. First car so i don't know what to think except the person before me beat on it. I've had the electric randomly go out on my car several times for a significant amount of time and then come back on. Car hasa mind of its own. Love the interior/exterior design. The mechanics need improvement. I probably would not ever buy a neon again based on previous experiences.

Fold down back seats, traction control, looks sporty (with spoiler and rims)

Electronics, mechanics...everything that matters. Don't buy this car used. You'll regret it. Especially now after 2009.