2002 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Not So Great...
By ilab on 02/07/12 20:08 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought the car 1 year used in 2003, at about 20k. He drove it until last year, then I took over it when he passed away... After 114k, I got rid of it this year. Our family has had its roots in Chrysler vehicles since the 1940s, but this car as been by far the worst. The average MPG that both my dad and I got was less than the EPA estimated CITY MPG of 24! We were both very conservative drivers. Next problem was that the transmission had to be completely rebuilt twice! It needed new brakes about 3 times a year; the rear suspension needed replaced. It had some bad electronic problems, as well as stupid problems. The safety rating for this is horrible as well. Dont buy one of these.

Excellent Car
By Good Times Ride on 02/09/08 21:32 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This fun car has given a bargain for my dollar. It is well designed for a commuter car. No problems other than normal use repairs. Great car for the price. Need to have more of them for our expensive economy. It's confy an stylish as well.

Reliable Transportation
By Alexis on 07/20/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for five years and have had very few problems. It does great on the highway. The only problem I have with it is when the air conditioning is on the acceleration is decreased, but I think this is due to a less powerful engine. I've gotten into a couple of accidents in this car and was pleasantly surprised that there was barely a scratch on my car. I would reccomend this car to anyone who needs affordable a to b transportation.

Horrible Car
By Janice on 01/18/07 11:34 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am constantly having to take this car into the shop for brakes to get fixed over and over again. My Insurance told me that they had to raise my insurance because of the type of car. They said if I was ever involved in an accident the car would pretty much be totaled because it was made cheap. I also though having a smaller car would mean better gas, boy was I wrong. I am trying to get rid of it ASAP. For anyone looking, do not buy, it is terrible.

God help us all
By milent on 10/19/05 20:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car less than two years ago with 30k on it and as soon as I reached 36k and my warranty expired, this car was nothing but a pain. It leaks, had to replace radiator, transmission went bad at 52K. It became increasingly noisy. It goes fine when alone in it, but two more people get in and it seems like it is pulling the trailer. It is relatively cheap. I say relatively because you are going to spend a lot on repairs. never gonna buy another.

Don't Buy One
By BeckyP on 10/12/05 16:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than 4 years after purchase this car has been nothing but problems. I just recently had a head gasket replaced, the head itself, and now the solenoid pack in the transmission. Thankfully all covered under warranty. Brakes went-cost $800, battery, tires. I take extremely good care of this car. I always have the oil changed every 3000 miles, spark plugs done, tires rotated, alignment checked, etc. This car has cost me more for being brand new than my 1990 Toyota(bought it in 1995) that I had for 7 years and way over 100,000 miles ever did.

Nothing to complain about
By 2NRXTC on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a used fleet vehicle according to carfax. It had 35k on it and I just paid $5500! I've driven the car for about 10k and haven't had the slightest problem. Had a '95 neon up to 140,000 miles without any problems. Cheap, reliable, fun to drive. What could be better?

great car...great value if used
By mikesurf on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Remarkably roomy with very good seats Great handling, and the 4 speed trans makes the car feel so much better than earlier ones I drove as a rental. Now has 27000 miles and no hint of squeak or rattle, except for squeaky brakes which I hear is common problem with Neons. NOTE: I bought mine one year old--SE so has power wind/lk/mirrors--for just $8,600. Nearly new Neons seem to have terrible resale value, so perfect cars to buy used. Unless you are even fussier than I am, buy one used and save

showroom lemon
By AngelsAmongUs561 on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

idles rough. electrical problems, transmission shifts rough. stalls randomaly. cv joints bad allready. rear brakes make loud noises. dealer claims nothing wrong with car. do not buy a Neon, big waste of money, will be trading in for another chevy cavalier, wished i kept my 95 chevy

a great car for aworking family
By carrieoki on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this car has been very dependable it rides very smooth and handles well even in the snow