2002 Dodge Neon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
Unfortunate purchase
By rostropovich on 06/04/14 15:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years, and have had problem after problem, regret upon regret. I have treated it like my firstborn, always hoping that after /this/ repair it will run well for a good long time, but no, not a chance. Got it for $2800 at 81000 miles, but put $4000 in repairs in the first year, including rotors, e-brake, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, muffler, transmission mount, shifter cables, steering tie rod and lights. It never quite felt like it was driving nicely even after repairs. The story ends with the transmission failing. UNCLE!

Piece of Junk
By thatguythere13 on 12/06/13 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my first car when I was 16 years old. Believing it was a great car, good size, good MPG, and being that I paid under $6000 with it having less than 30,000 miles I figured it would last me long enough to turn around and sell it for a decent chunk of change. Here it is, 6 years later, I've vested well over a grand into it in monotonous repairs to a car with under 80,000 (as of today 12/6) should not be having. I think it may finally be back in working shape, but at this point I am sick of it. The amount of money I've put in repetative repairs is enough to make me want to torch it. Neon's have a history of being terribly built. Abide by that fact.

02 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
By andrew30947 on 11/16/13 01:01 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I said it is an automatic and Dodge made a programming error in the Neon's automatic transmission so that's about the only problem. I bought MJ this year with 83K miles (now 90k) when I bought the car I had no experience in the mechanics and if I had I wouldn't have bought THAT Neon BUT I am glad I did. If you like paying people to fix your car, do not buy a Neon. If you can fix things on your own get it. MJ has been through a LOT (off road, 3 or 4 wrecks, and a half country trip) but she keeps going, I did pay quite a bit to fix her up but a lot was the previous owner (the wrecks were limited to suspension damage and a cracked rim) since the complete fix I haven't spent a dime.

Better Than My Honda!!!
By MIASXT 02 on 01/12/10 15:58 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great, bought it for 2300 with 97000 miles. Original owner. The car is in great condition. The Shocks were squeaking but I put grease on them and haven't made a sound. This car really is great. Easy fixes as well. Everyone that complains about this car either bought if from a shady dealer, or someone who doesn't take care of their cars. Very fun and reliable. Now I have heard that the automatics do have some problems with the transmission, so I say its time to learn how to drive a manual.

last neon I will ever own
By kandi on 12/29/09 03:23 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Not very pleased with the overall performance of this vehicle, I had a previous 96 Neon that I enjoyed driving, was a fun and fast car with great fuel economy, especially for a Dodge product. This '02 has been in twice for the transmission, and the same part is broke again, it has developed an oil leak since my last oil change, and the value has dropped greatly in the past few months leaving me upside down in a car about the break.

happy in fresno
By tony nuccio on 12/06/09 18:44 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

happy with the car but disappointed that the paint did not hold it color though the years.

Continuous Headache
By Mags on 07/23/09 04:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had multiple problems with this car ever since I bought it. A few months after I got it, we had heavy rains and I discovered it leaks around the tires, the belts squeal when they get wet (going through a puddle on the road), and it smelled (probably from previous owner). The CD player is temperamental, the automatic starter rarely works, and I have had multiple transmission problems. Had to completely replace it this past spring, and now the gears don't line up quite right. Not to mention the alloy wheel rims will dent on the slightest hole, and rims were impossible to find because of the size. Cute car. Fun to drive. Not worth the headache!

great to problems
By susan on 09/10/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 sxt 4dr Dodge neon it was awesome. It could handle any weather situation and drove like a dream. After the 2nd year the back bumper faded. Now it has hit its sixth year the warranties are gone and the transmission went out without warning. I had it diagnosed the week before because my deduction pump when out which caused my engine light to go off. No sign of the trans going. The shop I took it to said that the day it had went out it showed 7 codes.

Still kicking like Bruce Lee!
By Wooolstun on 07/11/08 11:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my Neon SXT since 2002 when I bought it and have YET to put a penny in to it, other than tires and brakes. The gas mileage is incredible. With today's gas prices, I put $15 in my tank and get to and from work for 4 days, and it's a 30 minute highway drive. As far as the interior comfort, I am 6' 7" and fit surprisingly comfortably. Most controls are easily accessible, except maybe the cd changer. The exterior, despite your normal dings, still looks good. I still look at it after a good wash and wax and think "wow, looks pretty good". My overall impression is a positive one. If you keep up with routine maintenance, this car should be good to you!

Great
By Jen on 06/25/08 17:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my neon for 3 years I absolutely loved it for the looks and the way it drove but the most important part of the car was the safety of the car. Yesterday I was in a car accident . A car ran a red light and hit me in the driver side door going 45 mph in a large van. I was surprised how well the car held up my only injuries are cuts from the broken glass. I'm sure going to miss my car