2002 Dodge Neon Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Neon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Sort Reviews by

Unfortunate purchase
By rostropovich

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years, and have had problem after problem, regret upon regret. I have treated it like my firstborn, always hoping that after /this/ repair it will run well for a good long time, but no, not a chance. Got it for $2800 at 81000 miles, but put $4000 in repairs in the first year, including rotors, e-brake, sway bar links and bushings, control arm bushings, muffler, transmission mount, shifter cables, steering tie rod and lights. It never quite felt like it was driving nicely even after repairs. The story ends with the transmission failing. UNCLE!

Favorite Features

It looks decent and the interior is okay.

Piece of Junk
By thatguythere13

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my first car when I was 16 years old. Believing it was a great car, good size, good MPG, and being that I paid under $6000 with it having less than 30,000 miles I figured it would last me long enough to turn around and sell it for a decent chunk of change. Here it is, 6 years later, I've vested well over a grand into it in monotonous repairs to a car with under 80,000 (as of today 12/6) should not be having. I think it may finally be back in working shape, but at this point I am sick of it. The amount of money I've put in repetative repairs is enough to make me want to torch it. Neon's have a history of being terribly built. Abide by that fact.

Favorite Features

Nothing. When the doors actually unlock with the key fob is nice. But also a rare occasion.

Suggested Improvements

Should have never been built. Never bring it back, Chrysler reimburse all owners?

02 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
By andrew30947

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I said it is an automatic and Dodge made a programming error in the Neon's automatic transmission so that's about the only problem. I bought MJ this year with 83K miles (now 90k) when I bought the car I had no experience in the mechanics and if I had I wouldn't have bought THAT Neon BUT I am glad I did. If you like paying people to fix your car, do not buy a Neon. If you can fix things on your own get it. MJ has been through a LOT (off road, 3 or 4 wrecks, and a half country trip) but she keeps going, I did pay quite a bit to fix her up but a lot was the previous owner (the wrecks were limited to suspension damage and a cracked rim) since the complete fix I haven't spent a dime.

Favorite Features

I didn't get to put this in the small review part, these cars ARE sturdy, my Neon has saved my life multiple times due to me being immature and tearing it around town, not to mention the times I've had to swerve to avoid things (handling). The saftey rating may be low but its been hit by one car and held up amazingly, scuffed paint, while her metal bumper was dented and she stalled. I have put performance parts into her since so gas mileage isn't really a factor to me, she now gets about 20 mpg. If you have one get a transmission rebuild from stronger parts, not stock. I haven't yet but will have to soon because Dodge made a programming error in the Neons.

Suggested Improvements

*= GET PERFORMANCE QUALITY, *transmission, *engine mounts (all three located on passenger side, upper, middle, and lower) *transmission mounts (two under battery) Since Dodge no longer makes these I wrote this for people who own or plan on owning, fix these parts and get performance engine mount inserts, the rubber on the engine mounts goes quickly and CAUSES most transmission problems these people complain about. These cars are sensitive and the engine must placed EXACTLY how it was designed, I only wish someone had told me these things, do this and I am almost 100% it will last for years (unless you race or drive erratically)

dodge neon 02
By nicole30

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was great at first(80,000), but after a year with 111,000 miles on it, had to surrender to pick n pull....This car will need extra special help if you want it to last. Cheap, but not a good choice if you want a soid car.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

extra specia transimssion care

Since 2002
By menifee3

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002. It runs incredibly fantastic. No problems since ownership. I have nearly 90K miles on it and take it into L.A. every day. Runs smooth, 35 mpg Hwy (Higher than officially rated), and an unbelievable air conditioner which I can only run on low, even on hot days, because it get's so cold in the car. The AC is better than the one in my Mercedes! While far from being a chick magnet, this car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. And I'm keeping it!

Favorite Features

Air conditioner, reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None. Don't mess with perfection.

Good at First...
By eamin637

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my neon almost 3 yrs ago, at first it was nice and it got me around. I got it with 79,000 miles on it. Within the first week the dash got bubbles in it. After that it ran okay, hard, long start and misfiring every once in awhile. 1st yr I had to replace the brakes, rotors, tires, and bushing cost $700. The next year just new bulbs $10. Recently before I got rid of it I had to replace the struts, tire rod, brakes again, stabilizer pin, emergency brake and radiator $900+. I had the final straw when I finished fixing all of that and the catalytic converter went out.. I was terrified of driving the car and I took good care of it with regular maintenance. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Plenty of Cup Holders (4).

Great Car! I recommend highly!
By roodieb

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 24K miles on it and have put almost 120K on it since then. I commute 60 miles round trip each day and spend alot of time on the road. While the ride is not as smooth as some would like, the handling of the car is good and the reliability has been terrific. I have not had any major repairs that have needed to be done, but have replaced the normal wear parts like tires, brakes and battery. The car handles great in the snow and also on wet roads. The body style is attractive and the lines are clean. The blind spot view is a little limited by the fast back style as well as by the rear spoiler. Once you are used to this and compensate for it, it is not a problem.

Favorite Features

Handles well in snow and rain. Attractive body style. Comfortable seats. Great standard AM/FM CD player. Ease of use of the instrument panel. Easy to manuever and to park.

Suggested Improvements

If the car were still in production I would recommend a little large engine, so that acceleration onto interstates would be quicker, but the standard 2.0 was good also.

Not So Great...
By ilab

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought the car 1 year used in 2003, at about 20k. He drove it until last year, then I took over it when he passed away... After 114k, I got rid of it this year. Our family has had its roots in Chrysler vehicles since the 1940s, but this car as been by far the worst. The average MPG that both my dad and I got was less than the EPA estimated CITY MPG of 24! We were both very conservative drivers. Next problem was that the transmission had to be completely rebuilt twice! It needed new brakes about 3 times a year; the rear suspension needed replaced. It had some bad electronic problems, as well as stupid problems. The safety rating for this is horrible as well. Dont buy one of these.

Favorite Features

The look was pretty nice, both inside and out. That was about it.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more MPG, more reliability, more quality built.

Dodge this Neon
By MrOtoko

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car w/salvage title. Owned since 04, and put 75k mi on it (113k total now). There seem to be a lot of technical problems with it, but I'm not sure if that is due to the salvage title. Can't mess with the tranny or it will go out. Most everything went out by 100k. AC is cold, but I think I have radiator fan problems so it overheats. Mechs say its an O-ring problem but they are WRONG all the time (already fixed that 3 times!!! and still overheating - even when idle and no AC on. Car was discontinued for a reason.

Favorite Features

Cassette/Radio still flawless, trunk space, windows work, cold AC (haven't had to recharge), windshield doesn't crack when I turn the AC on.

Suggested Improvements

They can't really improve now since they don't make Neons anymore, but if they were to: better transmission, engine, fewer check engine lights, a hook for passenger side mat, etc, etc.

Better Than My Honda!!!
By MIASXT 02

2002 Dodge Neon Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great, bought it for 2300 with 97000 miles. Original owner. The car is in great condition. The Shocks were squeaking but I put grease on them and haven't made a sound. This car really is great. Easy fixes as well. Everyone that complains about this car either bought if from a shady dealer, or someone who doesn't take care of their cars. Very fun and reliable. Now I have heard that the automatics do have some problems with the transmission, so I say its time to learn how to drive a manual.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, roomy, good pickup for 130 hp. Love the way it takes turns.

Suggested Improvements

Can't say yet.