2002 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:
dodge neon 02
By nicole30 on 12/22/12 14:23 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was great at first(80,000), but after a year with 111,000 miles on it, had to surrender to pick n pull....This car will need extra special help if you want it to last. Cheap, but not a good choice if you want a soid car.

Since 2002
By menifee3 on 07/30/12 16:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since 2002. It runs incredibly fantastic. No problems since ownership. I have nearly 90K miles on it and take it into L.A. every day. Runs smooth, 35 mpg Hwy (Higher than officially rated), and an unbelievable air conditioner which I can only run on low, even on hot days, because it get's so cold in the car. The AC is better than the one in my Mercedes! While far from being a chick magnet, this car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. And I'm keeping it!

Good at First...
By eamin637 on 06/09/12 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my neon almost 3 yrs ago, at first it was nice and it got me around. I got it with 79,000 miles on it. Within the first week the dash got bubbles in it. After that it ran okay, hard, long start and misfiring every once in awhile. 1st yr I had to replace the brakes, rotors, tires, and bushing cost $700. The next year just new bulbs $10. Recently before I got rid of it I had to replace the struts, tire rod, brakes again, stabilizer pin, emergency brake and radiator $900+. I had the final straw when I finished fixing all of that and the catalytic converter went out.. I was terrified of driving the car and I took good care of it with regular maintenance. I would not recommend this car.

Dodge this Neon
By MrOtoko on 08/29/10 23:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car w/salvage title. Owned since 04, and put 75k mi on it (113k total now). There seem to be a lot of technical problems with it, but I'm not sure if that is due to the salvage title. Can't mess with the tranny or it will go out. Most everything went out by 100k. AC is cold, but I think I have radiator fan problems so it overheats. Mechs say its an O-ring problem but they are WRONG all the time (already fixed that 3 times!!! and still overheating - even when idle and no AC on. Car was discontinued for a reason.

Looks may be deceiving
By First Car on 05/25/09 06:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car in 2007 with 82,000 miles on it. Had problems frequently with it. First brakes, then the transmission. Engine light has always been on and off. Now engine makes a loud noise when the A/C is on. First car so i don't know what to think except the person before me beat on it. I've had the electric randomly go out on my car several times for a significant amount of time and then come back on. Car hasa mind of its own. Love the interior/exterior design. The mechanics need improvement. I probably would not ever buy a neon again based on previous experiences.

Beware of Bad Transmission
By Vasha20 on 05/14/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought my neon at a cheaper type of lot it was 5 yrs old with 75000 miles. Red Flag should of went up when they said no warrenty not even 30 days. It took 2 months a hose ripped off the radiator and stripped it so it needed a new radiator. $400.00. then after 1 year the transmission when out. This was not cheap, $2,400. The mechanic says neons have a transmission flaw with this year. Even after it was fixed, the transmission acted funny every time the air conditioner was on. So I don't use the air conditioner anymore. I don't think the car will last much longer. I wouldn't even give it to a kid. If you have a neon get rid of it after it is 5 years old. These are throw away cars.

Love this car
By Love this car on 07/25/08 19:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car I never had a problem with it. I owned it for eight months and put 45,000 miles on it. I was not good to it. I never change the oil on time. I drove a lot of dirt roads. It never failed me. It was one of my fav.

it's o.k I guess
By um, idk. its... um on 03/29/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

O. K, I have a 2002 Dodge neon. My brother gave it to me because the tranny went out. So I got it rebuilt for 1500 dollars. Now I still have it, when I turn sharply enough the engine light comes on, then goes off when I straighten up. It shakes bad on the highway and when I get to 55. The alternators going up, hopefully no time soon, but the lights on. Um, I got a performance muffler and took the airbox off and a performance air filter, so when I give it some gas it sounds excellent; for a 4 cylinder. My recommendation though... Get another car. Why spend 3250 on this when you can get a civic or something?

Little engine that could
By Redjaseak08 on 12/30/06 11:41 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed my Neon from day one, I bought it used when it had 43000 miles on it, I now have 80,300 miles on it. The only mechanical problem I have had with it has been the clutch, which was replaced for $700.00 and that was due to letting inexperienced friends drive my manual. I live in Alaska, and this car has done me well. I haven't been stuck, it has great control and still drives likes it's right off the lot. It's affordable in the following aspects, gas, inurance and general maitenance. I would reccomend this car to anyone who needs a commuter car or just an everyday ride.

a bargain for the price
By donuts on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Neon 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

most underrated compact car. a good bargain for used car.